Too Conservative vs. Patriots

PolishDave

1) During the last Bills possession just before half time, with seconds left on the clock - 

why did the Bills not attempt a deep pass play - for a shot to either draw a penalty or get a completion close enough to attempt a long kick?

I saw that as a free opportunity to steal some points that you knew you were desperately going to need.    Bills chose to just run the clock out after they called a time out to put themselves in position to have those extra seconds.   Why waste an opportunity like that against a team you know is superior?

2) Was anyone else mad that the Bills kicked the field goal at the time they did it?    I was.

Took Chan Gailey a while to learn that you have to be exceptionally aggressive to compete with the Brady led Pats.   You need to plan on scoring 30 points every time you play them.   And you have to take the chances necessary to be able to get those 30 points no matter what quarter you are in.

Felt like Dick Jauron out there again yesterday.   - Let's try to beat the Patriots with field goals.   Just stupid.    McDermott has not studied the Patriots anywhere near enough in my opinion.   

3) When was the first attempt at a deep pass by Buffalo in the game - half way through 3rd quarter I think?      Dennison you suck.

This coaching staff is TOO conservative in my opinion,   Yours?

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, PolishDave said:

1) During the last Bills possession just before half time, with seconds left on the clock - 

why did the Bills not attempt a deep pass play - for a shot to either draw a penalty or get a completion close enough to attempt a long kick?

I saw that as a free opportunity to steal some points that you knew you were desperately going to need.    Bills chose to just run the clock out after they called a time out to put themselves in position to have those extra seconds.   Why waste an opportunity like that against a team you know is superior?

2) Was anyone else mad that the Bills kicked the field goal at the time they did it?    I was.

Took Chan Gailey a while to learn that you have to be exceptionally aggressive to compete with the Brady led Pats.   You need to plan on scoring 30 points every time you play them.   And you have to take the chances necessary to be able to get those 30 points no matter what quarter you are in.

Felt like Dick Jauron out there again yesterday.   - Let's try to beat the Patriots with field goals.   Just stupid.    McDermott has not studied the Patriots anywhere near enough in my opinion.   

3) When was the first attempt at a deep pass by Buffalo in the game - half way through 3rd quarter I think?      Dennison you suck.

Regarding #3 their QB was hurt and receivers weren't getting separation.  Regarding conservative they ran stuff with Webb they hadn't showed all year long.  And finally when you say a team you know is superior, you've answered the question.

They are just really good.  

1 minute ago, Woodman19 said:

What do people really expect, going for 30 yard bombs on every play when you have a QB who can barely throw 10? Besides, you could scheme it and Tyrod still wouldn't try to go deep unless it's out of bounds or too far to risk an Interception.

Tyrod's play proves you dead wrong for the last two years prior to this one.

10 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

I thought the same thing.  15 seconds left. Go deep.  you are down 6.  If they intercept, they won't have time to do anything..and if they do, its only a field goal.  Bills are chickens

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not actually saying this in hindsight but at 3rd and one from the Patriots 7 I wanted them to go play action into the end zone.  McCoy did get first down but we all know what happened on the next play.

Agree though you have to bring your A game and play aggressively to beat the Pats.  After that interception it was all down hill as you said ultra conservative. 

1 minute ago, Another Fan said:

I'm not actually saying this in hindsight but at 3rd and one from the Patriots 7 I wanted them to go play action into the end zone.  McCoy did get first down but we all know what happened on the next play.

Agree though you have to bring your A game and play aggressively to beat the Pats.  After that interception it was all down hill as you said ultra conservative. 

The only thing the Bills have gotten really good at on offense this year is setting up 3rd and longs.   They are absolutely masterful at it.    And it is amazing they have converted as many as they have.

How this Bills team can start out with a first offensive drive like they did - moving the chains methodically - and then turn into a total dumpster fire after that is just amazing.   Even after that first interception, for a short while, it felt like - okay - The Bills showed up to play today.

And then as the rest of the first half unfolded - things started to melt away.   By the second half - the same old Bills were back.

Imagine you are playing Madden, you have a WR wide open running a post up the middle and you have time to unload a perfect throw.  You hit "X" on your controller to unload an easy TD.  But the game strangely does something different, he throws it to McCoy who has run to the sideline to give you a 2 yard gain instead.

That's what it's like when you have a QB who defers to his safety option on every single player scheme no matter the call, situation and plan.  I bet the bunch of you would lose your ****.

8 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

McDermott has been conservative all year long.  But there is no way this offense is going to score 30 points against a team with at least a decent defense.

Yet they did that 5 times last year - roughly one third of their games.    With brainchild Rex running the show and a run, run, run some more offense.  Still managed to put up 30 +

6 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

Imagine you are playing Madden, you have a WR wide open running a post up the middle and you have time to unload a perfect throw.  You hit "X" on your controller to unload an easy TD.  But the game strangely does something different, he throws it to McCoy who has run to the sideline to give you a 2 yard gain instead.

That's what it's like when you have a QB who defers to his safety option on every single player scheme no matter the call, situation and plan.  I bet the bunch of you would lose your ****.

Except he didn't do that until this year.   Just his choice I guess?

This offense is too conservative.   Way too conservative.

Edited by PolishDave

1 minute ago, PolishDave said:

Yet they did that 5 times last year - roughly one third of their games.    With (*^*&%^$^#Rex running the show and a run, run, run some more offense.  Still managed to put up 30 +

Yep, last year with Anthony Lynn, who was able to get the most out of the offense.   Unfortunately, we have Dennison who is too rigid, and conservative.

If only we had last year's offensive coaching staff, with McD and this year's defense, we may have made the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

Deep into the second quarter they should have realized that the offense wasn't going to have the success it needed against the Pats* defense. They played their usual conservative game and it just wasn't working. The ground game wasn't working and the short passing game was clamped down on. They should have opened it up and just let Tyrod loose. They played not to lose against a team that rarely beats its self. That's the dumbest thing you could do. Play to win, you are playing with house money as a huge underdog. If you are going to lose, lose playing to win. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan89 said:

Deep into the second quarter they should have realized that the offense wasn't going to have the success it needed against the Pats* defense. They played their usual conservative game and it just wasn't working. The ground game wasn't working and the short passing game was clamped down on. They should have opened it up and just let Tyrod loose. They played not to lose against a team that rarely beats its self. That's the dumbest thing you could do. Play to win, you are playing with house money as a huge underdog. If you are going to lose, lose playing to win. 

On defense I thought the Bills had the right approach for the most part.   They dared the Patriots to run the ball - and the Patriots did so - successfully.   But the sacrifice the Patriots gave up in doing so, was forgoing that high powered passing attack that could have thrown for 500 against Buffalo if they wanted to.    Instead the game clock ticked and tocked as the run game melted it away.

Bills had the right defensive strategy going in - at least they appeared to.    Just still did not do what this offense does best which is run downhill, read options, QB draws mized in with bootlegs to buy time for deep balls down the sideline.

We are still seeing Dennison try to do what failed so incredibly miserably in Tyrod's first preseason game this year in Dennison's offense.   Ridiculous.

1 minute ago, Jay_Fixit said:

My favorite play was the 21 yard loss on 3rd and 5. Tyrod has the goods.

You can’t get much more conservative than that my dear friends.

That play was the same as his injury in the first quarter.  He scrambled for....0 yards and got injured.  Just throw the damn ball away you twit!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, KW95 said:

That play was the same as his injury in the first quarter.  He scrambled for....0 yards and got injured.  Just throw the damn ball away you twit!

Somehow sneaking a  “twit” in conversation is always a good play.

The pats made the halftime adjustment.  It was basically have Gronk punish (cheap side aside) our teeny tiny DB's.  Watching them try to tackle him was sad.  They were hanging on him like herpes sores.

And Dion Lewis just destroyed Poyer with one hand.

Need new, more physical safeties, not these little men.