[Misleading Title]Personal decisions this year- very, very poor

Foreigner

15 hours ago, Foreigner said:

Guys. The future is now. The NFL is a now league, and with the decisions made this year, what makes

you think this group knows how to make decisions.

Are you forgetting , as long as Beane and McDermott have been in the NFL no one, not one team

hired them for the positions they are in now.

Maybe management made all the great decisions with the Sabres. Haven't checked lately, how are they

doing in the NHL?

Not gonna win with Tyrod Taylor as your QB.. doesn’t matter who’s playing WR

Sorry about the title. It should be personell. However a lot of people are missing the point. The AFC is very

weak this year and we would be in if we didn't lose all the talent we almost gave away. Due to free agency

the NFL is a now league, and depending on the draft for improvement in years to come is not valid. This is a old

team and there is no guarantee we will not be worse after the draft next year. These two guys from

Carolina were given the keys to the kingdom, whereas ownership should have hired a football czar to pick

a proven management team. This is on ownership, for the same way its on them for the Sabres.

We have lost talent, and it may be three to five years before they are shown the door, but their decisions

have been poor and no own has even brought up Benjamin. He had been injured in  Carolina, and he is

still injured. Carolina knew what they were doing in getting rid of him. He may make out in years to come,

but again, this management has made poor choices this year, and that is what we are talking about, not

years to come. 

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Is this about being a bills fan?  I know it’s a poor personal choice given their personnel management... but I can’t help myself.

Thats interesting and true. So the talent vs team chemistry and scheme  argument has some room to run there  

I think it has something to do with our talented players got complacent And just played good enough long enough to make big money Then became Lazy with their play And not caring if they won.Changing the culture means dropping players who play half assed regardless of their talent 

On 12/3/2017 at 11:27 PM, Foreigner said:

The personal decisions made by this regime continue to be so poor and call it what you wish; insane,

rediculous or whatever.

A unknown named Eric Lee was all over the field including the Bills backfield today. Where did he

come from? If you guessed the Bills, you guessed right. He appears to be a better LB by far than

anyone the Bills have, but our defensive genius Coach deemed him only good enough to be on

the practice squad, from where the Pats grabbed him on Nov. 11. He was called a pro bowler on TV.

How did you like Gilmour's play breaking up pass after pass, and Marquis Goodwin line today was

8 receptions for 99 yards. And another reject, Sammy Watkins another TD.

Why would another QB want to come here when he has what appears to be a bust (Jones), 

Matthews (another bust), Holmes (another bust) Benjamin (injured when he got here, duped by Carolina).

All our talent at WR were sent packing. This is really amazing and sad at the same time.

I guess they get no credit for having found and signed Eric Lee to their pratcite squad? 

Also, how do you put all the blame on this new regime for things like Gilmore, Woods, Goodwin? 

Beane and his entire front office, personnel and scouting staff weren't even hired yet. And Whaley had 2 years to sign Gilmore, a year to sign Woods, a year to sign Goodwin (who was always injured and generally sucked during his time in Buffalo). 

It was reported long before McDermott was ever hired that Whaley was not willing to pay Gilmore more than $11.5M per year. 

It was also reported that Whaley and Robert Woods were not even attempting to negotiate a new contract. It was said that Woods wanted to go to free agency and Woods later said that he wanted to go home to California (where he signed), but yeah blame McDermott and Beane... 

Where was this thread earlier in the year when Watkins, Gilmore and Goodwin were sucking for their respective teams? 

And  if you want to call Jordan Matthews a bust because we have a QB who literally never throws him the ball, that on you. He's been the most productive slot receiver in the NFL since he was drafted. The Bills just don't have a passing game. 

But I'll be willing to bet that when he signs somewhere else next year and lights it up with a QB who actually throws him the ball, you will be saying "another dumb personnel move b the Bills letting Matthews go..."

On 12/4/2017 at 9:40 AM, cba fan said:

I'd say all the moves are wrong except the Benjamin trade. And not retaining overpaid non tackling 3 or 4 good games a year Gilmore.

Watkins(low cost)and Goodwin(low cost)are the pieces the WR corp misses most.    

Woods is 1000% better then Matthews.

Seymour would be starting.

Dareous would be healthy now and plugging the sieve middle of what now loosely is called run defense.

Ragland would be a two down run stopping force again for what Bills completely suck at now.

Darby would be a low cost fine back up, spot starter, nickel back, better than anyone not named White or Gaines.(Gaines was odd man out in LA and could have been had for a 6th)

Bradham better than any current Bills LB except maybe Milano.

Gillesse would have been the 2nd best RB on Bills.

JWill, see Gillessse.

Lee on practice squad would have been a force Bills lack right now.

DiMarco is not a good NFL player.

Tolbert is the worst 2nd string RB 3rd down RB in NFL.....how can coaches think he is anything other than a situational FB?

Milano should be starting.

Peterman start was too soon.(I give credit it was a ballsy measured risk to see if anyone can score with this putrid offense)

You are delusional if you think all the moves where spot on.  Many who think that way think all the traded dropped players were all cancers in the locker room. None of that can be confirmed from any reputable source. They replaced good young talent and now have one of the oldest rosters in NFL. That is not how you do a rebuild.

Lets be clear... It's not the way YOU would do a rebuild. And based on this post, thank God you are not in charge. 

If you honestly think the likes of Mike Gillislee, Reggie Ragland, Kevan Seymour, Goodwin and some dude named Lee are going to make a stitch of difference in the Bills quest to win the Superbowl then there is no sense in even discussing the topic with you. Those players are insignificant.

Darius and Watkins are the only players that can even be in the conversation of being impact players on a championship team and were deemed replaceable for the money they were making or were going to make in addition to character issues. Spot on moves in my opinion.

The rest of your ramblings about Bradham, Dimarco, Tolbert etc. are just that...ramblings.

The reasons for decisions this regime are making are obviously so far over your head you should probably just sit back as see how they play out without trying to analyze them based on a game by game basis, week by week basis.

19 hours ago, Foreigner said:

Sorry about the title. It should be personell. However a lot of people are missing the point. The AFC is very

weak this year and we would be in if we didn't lose all the talent we almost gave away. Due to free agency

the NFL is a now league, and depending on the draft for improvement in years to come is not valid. This is a old

team and there is no guarantee we will not be worse after the draft next year. These two guys from

Carolina were given the keys to the kingdom, whereas ownership should have hired a football czar to pick

a proven management team. This is on ownership, for the same way its on them for the Sabres.

We have lost talent, and it may be three to five years before they are shown the door, but their decisions

have been poor and no own has even brought up Benjamin. He had been injured in  Carolina, and he is

still injured. Carolina knew what they were doing in getting rid of him. He may make out in years to come,

but again, this management has made poor choices this year, and that is what we are talking about, not

years to come. 

Benjamin passed the physical after he was traded here, so saying he was injured and Carolina duped us is just not true. 

Did you see the play play where he injured his knee? Anyone could have injured their knee on that same play. It's football, stuff happens. 

And he is already under contract for next year, too. Don't you think it's too soon to be calling the trade a bust? He's a legit #1 WR. 

Also, Beane and McDermott were both on the short list of recommended coach/GM candidates by the NFL advisory panel (the one with Bill Polian, Ernie Accorsi, John Madden, Ron Wolf, Tony Dungy, Mike Holmgren, James Harris, Dennis Green, Carl Peterson etc). 

I read/heard a rumor somewhere that Bill Polian had Pegula's ear and highly recommended McDermott (and I believe Beane, as well) to him. I don't know if it's actually true or not though. But either way both Beane and McDermott were on that short list of recommended hires, and that's a list put together by people who would be ideal football czars. 

20 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It hasn't worked because they make constant dumb decision after dumb decision. 

They like to to fix things that aren't broken. 

The new regime gives off the impression they are too in love with their kind of guys and prefer character over talent. 

Build off the offense from last year, don't trade away young talent for UNKNOWN draft picks and this team is one or two games better then they are now, IMO.... and you can still build for the future in the draft. 

the only thing that wasn't broken was the offense, and that was still pretty suspect.  i'm not sure how long that would have been sustainable.  other than watkins,  there were no real losses.  i know the run game has been damaged, but at some point i always felt this team has to move on from a managing qb and really turn this into an offense that can move the ball around.  i think this is all part of it.  i'm not willing to call any of these decisions dumb yet.  it mostly depends on what happens in the off season to begin to determine if any of these moves were smart.  

if things weren't broken, this team wouldn't be in that 6-8 win territory year after year.  i don't get why some people are so afraid to change this up.  it needs to happen.  

4 minutes ago, teef said:

the only thing that wasn't broken was the offense, and that was still pretty suspect.  i'm not sure how long that would have been sustainable.  other than watkins,  there were no real losses.  i know the run game has been damaged, but at some point i always felt this team has to move on from a managing qb and really turn this into an offense that can move the ball around.  i think this is all part of it.  i'm not willing to call any of these decisions dumb yet.  it mostly depends on what happens in the off season to begin to determine if any of these moves were smart.  

if things weren't broken, this team wouldn't be in that 6-8 win territory year after year.  i don't get why some people are so afraid to change this up.  it needs to happen.  

because, buffalo mentality.

Beane and McDermott have talked about winning now and winning in the future.  I think that perhaps they have misread how some of their personnel moves would affect play on the field this season.  It remains to be seen how they will pan out for the future.  

It seems like the ultimate intent of threads like this is to see Beane and McDermott get fired.  I think that is absolutely the stupidest thing that the Bills could possibly do.  We need to let the transition process play out and evaluate the product on the field when it is at least a lot closer to the finished product.  The single biggest factor in the playoff drought has been the lack of continuity.  Somebody: owner/GM has pulled the plug too soon.  You can't win if you're always in transition.

On 12/3/2017 at 9:01 PM, PIZ said:

The personnel decisions are tough, because we see these guys making plays for other teams.  But these decisions weren't about this year.  If McD can keep these guys believing, next year with the draft and free agency, 2018-2019 will be the start of something big.

The issue is that by most accounts, the players we got rid of were all young and could have been building blocks for the future.  Now we have to fill all those holes with a few draft picks that honestly will bust a lot more often than hit.  

Trading Sammy and Dareus were the 2 that to me were mistakes.  I find it funny that so many people were upset with Sammys injury history, when in reality the main issue was one long lingering injury that has NEVER reoccured in a player in NFL history once fully recovered from.  The mistake was bringing him back before it was fully recovered...but then the same people were stoked to get an injury prone Kelvin Benjamin who has had was more serious injuries and to his knees.  

Dareus I didn't have an issue so much with the trade as much as I did with the compensation.  Not only did we give away Darues for essentially nothing, we pretty much gave away a future first or 2nd round pick too...because thats what we will HAVE to spend to TRY and replace him because we desperately need DL help now and that 6th rounder isn't going to net anywhere close to enough to replace him unless we hit lighting in a bottle.  

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:27 PM, Foreigner said:

The personal decisions made by this regime continue to be so poor and call it what you wish; insane,

rediculous or whatever.

A unknown named Eric Lee was all over the field including the Bills backfield today. Where did he

come from? If you guessed the Bills, you guessed right. He appears to be a better LB by far than

anyone the Bills have, but our defensive genius Coach deemed him only good enough to be on

the practice squad, from where the Pats grabbed him on Nov. 11. He was called a pro bowler on TV.

How did you like Gilmour's play breaking up pass after pass, and Marquis Goodwin line today was

8 receptions for 99 yards. And another reject, Sammy Watkins another TD.

Why would another QB want to come here when he has what appears to be a bust (Jones), 

Matthews (another bust), Holmes (another bust) Benjamin (injured when he got here, duped by Carolina).

All our talent at WR were sent packing. This is really amazing and sad at the same time.

All your busts are belong to us.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

because, buffalo mentality.

it's just at the point that some posters will complain until this team goes deep into the playoffs.  why have a normal conversation when you can do nothing but B word?  

this isn't going to be a quick process most likely, so i'm at least going to observe and see what is trying to be built here.  

On 12/4/2017 at 12:09 AM, Foreigner said:

Guys. The future is now. The NFL is a now league, and with the decisions made this year, what makes

you think this group knows how to make decisions.

Are you forgetting , as long as Beane and McDermott have been in the NFL no one, not one team

hired them for the positions they are in now.

Maybe management made all the great decisions with the Sabres. Haven't checked lately, how are they

doing in the NHL?

Technically, NOW is now. I have no problems with looking down the road when we make decisions. That’s clearly where much of this is coming from. I like that they seem to have a plan. I hope it includes building from the lines out and finding a Franchise QB. The rest is the easy part. The new regime is all of a dozen games in. Too soon to have firm conclusions for me. 

I understand the point of “middling” it though and I’d like the comp pick(s) we could have had for fringe players, but I don’t mind the Benjamin trade.