Steve Bartman

stevestojan

I can’t think of a football equivalent of what Bartman “did,” because NFL fans aren’t close enough to interfere. But I’ve watched too many YouTube videos about him. 

Every video I watch makes me hate the Cubs more. Giving him a World Series ring is like giving the obese girl who they picked on for years the Prom Queen sash to make yourself feel better for making fun of her. 

I honessly dont have a point here other than !@#$ the Cubs, !@#$ their fans, and !@#$ their ownership for giving him a World Series ring. 

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah  the guy screwed up, but likely 75% of the people in his spot would have done the same thing......the poor bastard probably had a life of misery since that incident. Hopefully he can live a normal life now that they won a championship. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79

1 hour ago, stevestojan said:

I can’t think of a football equivalent of what Bartman “did,” because NFL fans aren’t close enough to interfere. But I’ve watched too many YouTube videos about him. 

Every video I watch makes me hate the Cubs more. Giving him a World Series ring is like giving the obese girl who they picked on for years the Prom Queen sash to make yourself feel better for making fun of her. 

I honessly dont have a point here other than !@#$ the Cubs, !@#$ their fans, and !@#$ their ownership for giving him a World Series ring. 

• Like (+1) 1

That guy was a die hard Cubs fan who got caught up in the moment and prevented a possible out. Moises Alou's reaction made it worse.  The Cubs had a 3-0 lead in the game at the time (disclosure:I just looked that up)  and completely collapsed. Bartman (a fan!) was crucified by the city of Chicago.

Compare that to Norwood who missed the game winning FG, came back to Buffalo and was cheered by the city. Thumbs up Buffalo!

As for the ring, the Cubs gave everyone rings...including past players like Ryne Sandberg. It was a nice gesture to players and at least one fan of a long suffering franchise.

Personally I think giving rings to ex-players is too close to the participation trophy mentality, but for Bartman it was a nice gesture to a guy who took the blame for the teams failure.

Edited by SinceThe70s
  • Like (+1) 1

Blaming the loss of that series on Steve Bartman is like blaming Bill Buckner for the Red Sox losing the 1986 World Series because of his Game 6 error.

Cubs had more chances to win.  They failed.  Just like the Red Sox did in Game 7, in which they blew a 3-run lead in the 6th (thank you, God).

I agree with SinceThe70s ... he was a fan who got caught up in the moment.  The Cubs showed pure class ... and a little (lot) of lightheartedness by giving him a ring.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Gugny said:

Blaming the loss of that series on Steve Bartman is like blaming Bill Buckner for the Red Sox losing the 1986 World Series because of his Game 6 error.

Cubs had more chances to win.  They failed.  Just like the Red Sox did in Game 7, in which they blew a 3-run lead in the 6th (thank you, God).

I agree with SinceThe70s ... he was a fan who got caught up in the moment.  The Cubs showed pure class ... and a little (lot) of lightheartedness by giving him a ring.

Ok, I can see that. 

Not to bring Norwood into this (but I will), watching the Four Falls of Buffalo was sad because it’s clear he’s still tourtued by that. 

We’ve all forgiven Scott (I hope). I don’t forgive Marv for running Thurman 2 times for 4 yards (hyperbole). 

When (if) we win the SB, does Scott get a ring? 

13 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Ok, I can see that. 

Not to bring Norwood into this (but I will), watching the Four Falls of Buffalo was sad because it’s clear he’s still tourtued by that. 

We’ve all forgiven Scott (I hope). I don’t forgive Marv for running Thurman 2 times for 4 yards (hyperbole). 

Who knows. Did you watch the 30 for 30 The Year of the Scabs? There was a significant portion dedicated to those who got rings and those who didn't . 

56 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Ok, I can see that. 

Bringing up Norwood is totally relevant.  The Bills would have won, had he made it.  But they certainly didn't lose because he missed it.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Bringing up Norwood is totally relevant.  The Bills would have won, had he made it.  But they certainly didn't lose because he missed it.

I get where you are going.  But you are on glue.  They certainly lost the game because he missed the kick.

No other kicker has had that scenario in a SuperBowl.  Win if you make it, lose if you miss.  Other kicks, the game was tied.

• Like (+1) 1

Giving players, coaches, front office personnel a ring is, of course, the right thing to do.  Giving former players, longtime/screwed fans and others a ring cheapens it.  

I was already sick of the Cubs and their fans halfway through the 2016 WS...didn't have a dog in the hunt but started rooting for the Tribe when the Series moved to Chicago.

On 12/1/2017 at 11:02 PM, May Day 10 said:

he deserves it.

he got a real crap deal and it was undeserved.  something he loved got ruined.  he handled the whole thing with incredible class and dignity.  

whenever someone takes a black/white view i have to defend the opposite.

On 2017-12-01 at 7:16 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

Yeah  the guy screwed up, but likely 75% of the people in his spot would have done the same thing......the poor bastard probably had a life of misery since that incident. Hopefully he can live a normal life now that they won a championship. 

How did he screw up? He was like the 10th person to attempt to grab that ball. Just so happened that he got it.

He also didn’t boot a tailor made double play ball on the next play. 

The real goat (pun intended) should have been Alex Gonzalez. “Fans” and humans are so god damn ridiculous. 

If I was Bartman I’d have released a statement telling people to deal with it.

Edited by Jay_Fixit

but Bartman was dressed and reacted in a way that PERFECTLY repped the kind of tool I see at games that deserves to be squashed.

can you imagine sitting there oblivious as a Chicago crowd started raging at you???