Is McDermott the new McDaniels?

Jerry Jabber

When Josh McDaniels was the HC in Denver, he gutted the roster, traded away players that were either problem makers or did not agree with his style of coaching, as well as bench players for what he deemed “disciplinary actions.” So far, we’ve seen McDermott trade away players that he feels didn’t fit his scheme, trade away Dareus and replaced Shaq Lawson as the starting DE (seems Lawson is not buying into the process). Seems like McDermott is falling in lines of McDaniels when he was the HC in Denver. Will McDermott’s transformation of the Bills fail like McDaniels did in Denver? So far, we’ve seen the offense regress from the past two seasons and the defense had a very rough three game stretch. 

9 minutes ago, George C said:

Are you having trouble seeing the big picture here?

I get what McDermott is trying to do, he’s getting rid of players who are not buying into “the process,” as well as those players that have high salaries who are constantly dealing with injuries. So far, he seems too much like McDaniels and it seems more players are giving up on him.

Also, his win now and build for the future is counterproductive. The Bills most likely will miss the playoffs (again) finish around their usual spots of 7-9/8-8, draft between 8-19 (as usual) and miss out on an impact player. Wash, rinse, repeat... Same ol’ Bills.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

5 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

I get what McDermott is trying to do, he’s getting rid of players who are not buying into “the process,” as well as those players that have high salaries who are constantly dealing with injuries. So far, he seems too much like McDaniels and it seems more players are giving up on him.

How to lose a locker room 101.

• Like (+1) 1

This is what makes Belichick so great. He takes whatever players he has and finds ways to get every ounce of potential out of them.

Think about it: Chris Hogan and Danny Amendola cannot be covered by ANY NFL CBs. They are uncoverable and unstoppable. wide open every play.

Belichick went from a defensive minded coach to a throw it every down coach with a decent but mediocre defense and bad OL. He has won with a young Brady as a game manager with a great defense. He has won with a super powerful offense and okay defense, and he has won with a bad defense and all offense.

He knows football inside and out, and will use a scheme that suits his talent. We are seeing that this is very rare, as most coaches know one system and will force it on whoever they have because they don't know the game well enough to adapt.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

This is what makes Belichick so great. He takes whatever players he has and finds ways to get every ounce of potential out of them.

Think about it: Chris Hogan and Danny Amendola cannot be covered by ANY NFL CBs. They are uncoverable and unstoppable. wide open every play.

Belichick went from a defensive minded coach to a throw it every down coach with a decent but mediocre defense and bad OL. He has won with a young Brady as a game manager with a great defense. He has won with a super powerful offense and okay defense, and he has won with a bad defense and all offense.

He knows football inside and out, and will use a scheme that suits his talent. We are seeing that this is very rare, as most coaches know one system and will force it on whoever they have because they don't know the game well enough to adapt.

Tom Brady. End of story. GOAT. Everyone is a genius and wide open when he's throwing the ball. 

1 minute ago, zonabb said:

Tom Brady. End of story. GOAT. Everyone is a genius and wide open when he's throwing the ball. 

Short sighted and revisionist. Tom Brady was not born the GOAT. He couldn't even win the starting job in college, for crying out loud.

He became great with a coach & system that nurtured and developed him. Athletes are humans who are capable of learning and improving. Unless your parenting method is also "oh great, my baby can't do long division? Time to draft a NEW BABY!"

14 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I agree with you. But that's too hot of a take.

5 minutes ago, zonabb said:

no dude, chris Hogan and amendola are uncoverable and unstoppable.

They just won Sunday.  Big victory on the road.  Fighting for a playoff spot.  Made a bad decision about QB but smart enough to reverse that.

And now now you want to start with him losing the team?  You want to complain about the D after they just reawoke and shut down KC?

McD will be here for a while.  Get used to it.

24 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Hogan and Amendola weren't dumped on him, these are guys he went out and acquired. He picked them up because he felt that he could work with them. Just a little bit different then taking over and having guys in place already that are suited for what you need

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They just won Sunday.  Big victory on the road.  Fighting for a playoff spot.  Made a bad decision about QB but smart enough to reverse that.

And now now you want to start with him losing the team?  You want to complain about the D after they just reawoke and shut down KC?

He lost the team when they played the Chargers. Not a good start.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Really?  Explain why they came back and won Sunday if the team was lost.

don't just throw hackneyed phrases out there if you have nothing to back it up.

I'm backing it up with the chargers game. The defense knew they weren't going to win around picks 3 and 4. The whole team played better the next week. Was it McDermott's great leadership? No it was the team knowing their quarterback wasn't going to throw the game.

Wow what a great adjustment by McD.

4 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

and then won them over again against the Chiefs. Can the trolling go away until we actually are out of the playoffs?

if we're out of the playoffs by one game because our head coach lost a team going into a game, I'll "troll" (make a case against McDermott) you to oblivion. 

3 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I'm backing it up with the chargers game. The defense knew they weren't going to win around picks 3 and 4. The whole team played better the next week. Was it McDermott's great leadership? No it was the team knowing their quarterback wasn't going to throw the game.

if we're out of the playoffs by one game because our head coach lost a team going into a game, I'll "troll" (make a case against McDermott) you to oblivion. 

Firing a head coach, after all he has said and done to change the toxic culture at OBD is !@#$ing inane. 

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

So basically what you're saying is he didn't lose the team by putting Taylor back in.  

Let me me explain what losing a team means.  It means the team stops playing and mails it in to try and get a coach fired.  It does not mean going on the road into a hostile Arrowhead and winning a game they had to have to stay in playoff contention.

Hopes this helps you understand.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

So basically what you're saying is he didn't lose the team by putting Taylor back in.  

Let me me explain what losing a team means.  It means the team stops playing and mails it in to try and get a coach fired.  It does not mean going on the road into a hostile Arrowhead and winning a game they had to have to stay in playoff contention.

That's your definition of losing a team. These players are competitive and want to make the playoffs, and don't tell me they're not frustrated by the Chargers game. 

Chip Kelly. The players still played hard for him (even Shady), but they certainly didn't like him actively making their roster less talented.

Just now, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

That's your definition of losing a team. These players are competitive and want to make the playoffs, and don't tell me they're not frustrated by the Chargers game. 

Chip Kelly. The players still played hard for him (even Shady), but they certainly didn't like him actively making their roster less talented.

They were frustrated sure.  As they were I'm sure by the Saints and Jets games.  Go back and read some of their statements after those games.

And they fought back and won a big one.  Teams where the coach has lost the players don't do that.  So again quit throwing out trite little phrases as if they mean something.  The guy made one decision that was as even he put it a calculated risk,  and it didn't work.

30 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Is anyone happy they won Sunday? This place drains the happiness over a win fast.

2 minutes ago, JM2009 said:

Is anyone happy they won Sunday? This place drains the happiness over a win fast.

only if you allow it to.

let them wallow in their cesspool of negativity but at the same time, don't let them pull you in.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

Just now, JM2009 said:

I hate to say it, and you know from the old BBMB I've said this before, but I do feel there are some who prefer to see the Bills lose so they can say they were right about something they posted on a message board.  Very odd behavior.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I hate to say it, and you know from the old BBMB I've said this before, but I do feel there are some who prefer to see the Bills lose so they can say they were right about something they posted on a message board.  Very odd behavior.

You're right.

1 hour ago, Jerry Jabber said:

When Josh McDaniels was the HC in Denver, he gutted the roster, traded away players that were either problem makers or did not agree with his style of coaching, as well as bench players for what he deemed “disciplinary actions.” So far, we’ve seen McDermott trade away players that he feels didn’t fit his scheme, trade away Dareus and replaced Shaq Lawson as the starting DE (seems Lawson is not buying into the process). Seems like McDermott is falling in lines of McDaniels when he was the HC in Denver. Will McDermott’s transformation of the Bills fail like McDaniels did in Denver? So far, we’ve seen the offense regress from the past two seasons and the defense had a very rough three game stretch. 

And yet...despite "gutting the roster" and implementing "disciplinary actions," the Bills need but one win to match last year's total.

5 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

only if you allow it to.

let them wallow in their cesspool of negativity but at the same time, don't let them pull you in.

You and Indy are both right. I can never be unhappy after a win. Makes the week a lot better. You know the feeling.

25 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I think the Giants are a good example of that this year...would you agree?  

25 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

he's a rookie HC. expect bad decisions and mistakes the same as you would a rookie QB. take a few steps back and give the man a chance, at least the rest of this season and next before being so critical.. and no, the chargers game will not be the determining factor if they don't make the playoffs. two losses against the patsies** may have something to do with it as well as cincy and the jets.

not saying they lose both. well, yeah I'm saying they lose both. odds are most certainly against them.

40 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I’m glad the Bills won on Sunday, but the win was not overly impressive as the Bills were playing a reeling Chiefs team. The Chiefs looked more like the Bills on Sunday (very short pass plays, runs, etc). The Bills had less than 70 yards of total offense in the second half. Do you think that is going to be good enough against the Patriots? Hell no!

As I stated earlier, this is about numerous head scratching decisions made by McDermott since he’s been here, not just one decision.

1 minute ago, dulles said:

I think the Giants are a good example of that this year...would you agree?  

I would agree in part.  But they did rise up against KC.  That said, I cannot fathom this Manning decision.  You could argue the HC and GM are trying to make sure they get fired.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I would agree in part.  But they did rise up against KC.  That said, I cannot fathom this Manning decision.  You could argue the HC and GM are trying to make sure they get fired.

From the score, it looked more like the Chefs fell to their level... Blech - 12-9 OT winner!
McDoo hinted at it a couple weeks ago in a presser - something about getting reps for young guys...analyzing ability on the roster, etc.  
I'm surprised that they are pulling him from the starting gig, but not surprised they are giving reps to Geno.  I think they want to know if they have a backup or if they need to shop for two QBs.

7 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

And yet...despite "gutting the roster" and implementing "disciplinary actions," the Bills need but one win to match last year's total.

And the Bills have been averaging between 6-7 wins per year for the past 17 years. So what if the Bills win 7 or 8 games, if they miss the playoffs again, it’s the same thing year after year, drafting in the same spots and continuing to be mediocre.

Just now, Jerry Jabber said:

I’m glad the Bills won on Sunday, but the win was not overly impressive as the Bills were playing a reeling Chiefs team. The Chiefs looked more like the Bills on Sunday (very short pass plays, runs, etc). The Bills had less than 70 yards of total offense in the second half. Do you think that is going to be good enough against the Patriots? Hell no!

As I stated earlier, this is about numerous head scratching decisions made by McDermott since he’s been here, not just one decision.

Your post highlights one of my pet peeves.  Qualifying wins.  So many people downgrade the team when they win, that it was more about the other team being bad, and so on.  And then immediately bring up they can't beat the Pats. 

Why can you not simply accept a few actual facts.  Fact is they came back from a blowout  loss to win a game they had to have and are still solidly in the playoff race.  They won!  

I really wonder if other other franchises have fans that continually degrade their teams winning games.

3 minutes ago, dulles said:

From the score, it looked more like the Chefs fell to their level... Blech - 12-9 OT winner!
McDoo hinted at it a couple weeks ago in a presser - something about getting reps for young guys...analyzing ability on the roster, etc.  
I'm surprised that they are pulling him from the starting gig, but not surprised they are giving reps to Geno.  I think they want to know if they have a backup or if they need to shop for two QBs.

You don't think there is any possible way McAdoo comes back?

3 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

And the Bills have been averaging between 6-7 wins per year for the past 17 years. So what if the Bills win 7 or 8 games, if they miss the playoffs again, it’s the same thing year after year, drafting in the same spots and continuing to be mediocre.

The way people react, the Bills won 10 and 11 games the previous two years with Dareus, Watkins and Darby.

They didn't.

If the Bills can pull the same record without them, while clearing up cap AND accumulating 6 picks in the first three rounds, it's safe to say they're on the right track.

Edited by joesixpack

22 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They were frustrated sure.  As they were I'm sure by the Saints and Jets games.  Go back and read some of their statements after those games.

And they fought back and won a big one.  Teams where the coach has lost the players don't do that.  So again quit throwing out trite little phrases as if they mean something.  The guy made one decision that was as even he put it a calculated risk,  and it didn't work.

46 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Really?  Explain why they came back and won Sunday if the team was lost.

don't just throw hackneyed phrases out there if you have nothing to back it up.

Hackneyed and trite.. Are you having a hard time reading english? I'm sorry my "phrases" confuse you.