Anyone ever go back to school full time?

Another Fan

i haven't done it, but my best friend did.  he was in pharmaceutical sales for johnson and johnson, and absolutely hated it.  he  was always under the gun for sales, and they dangled his job over his head constantly.  he knew they were cutting staff, so he actually put himself in  position to be let go.  at first i thought this was nuts, but he had a plan.  he ended up to going back to RIT for packaging engineering.  since he had been laid off, he was able to get money, (i really don't know if it was a grant or what) to cover a very large portion of his tuition.  i think it was a program where the unemployed could learn a new vocation.  years later he now lives in buffalo,  works for rich foods, and makes a very good living.  

that being said, he did this in his early to mid 30s.  he didn't have kids yet, and his wife had a good job in sales.  i'm sure this scenario helped him make the decision.  

It's best in life to get in an accident and they give you way too much in settlement, so you can recover and then go to Vet or Law School, a few friends did that.

Others were suspended from duties due to alleged (and probably 100% guilty) abuse and used their settlements to go to grad school.

12 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I’m not happy though.  Your job is supposed to make you happy, not miserable, amirite?

No.  You're wrong.  You're not allowed to be happy at home and at work. 

If you're not miserable at least some of the time, I'll come make you miserable. 

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

It's best in life to get in an accident and they give you way too much in settlement, so you can recover and then go to Vet or Law School, a few friends did that.

Others were suspended from duties due to alleged (and probably 100% guilty) abuse and used their settlements to go to grad school.

I thought you're supposed to use that settlement to finally create your "Jump to Conclusions" mat.

20 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

When I graduated from HS my grandfather offered to pay for me to go to welding school, and also offered to pay for all of the equipment I needed.  I wanted to go to college because it was “the thing to do” and I wanted to party and get laid.  Which I did plenty of...

I often think about what my life would be like if I had listened to literally nobody in my life and learned a trade instead of going to college.  Wasn't considered an option for me - parents, friend group, relatives, teachers, guidance counselors (useless SOBs), everyone basically told me I had one option: four-year university.

9 minutes ago, shrader said:

I thought you're supposed to use that settlement to finally create your "Jump to Conclusions" mat.

Canada has severely restricted access to Law/Vet/Med schools, so if you can't earn your way in by merit, then you can simply write a cheque and get some US school to admit you to these wonderful new career opportunities. That extra million sitting in your settlement can work wonders...

8 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

I often think about what my life would be like if I had listened to literally nobody in my life and learned a trade instead of going to college.  Wasn't considered an option for me - parents, friend group, relatives, teachers, guidance counselors (useless SOBs), everyone basically told me I had one option: four-year university.

what did you want to do?  or was it one of those situations where you weren't sure, and people told you you might as well go to college?

9 minutes ago, teef said:

what did you want to do?  or was it one of those situations where you weren't sure, and people told you you might as well go to college?

I honestly don't remember, but any idea of what I would like to do would have been informed by 10+ years of "college college COLLEGE" being drilled into my head anyway.  Ultimately it was my decision, and it did open doors, but outside of silly hobbies I don't "use" my degree in any meaningful sense.

i was from one of those situations as well.  both sets of my grandparents were from italy, and there was the thought that you couldn't move forward in life without a formal eductions, (which we all know isn't true).  i think it was more fear as i can't tell you the number of times i heard, "they can never take your education from you!"

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Interestingly, this is my 11th year as an educational psychologist, and I didn’t start disliking my job until I moved to Vermont.  This state’s educational system is soooooo messed up.

Have you thought of moving to another state?  Maybe that could make a difference.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

It's funny you say this.  I was just having this conversation yesterday.  If I could push a rewind button and go back 30 years, I would have been a welder.

I've only got an Associate's Degree, but I've worked my way up over my career to where I'm making decent money - which I will never take for granted.

But happy?  Not even !@#$ing close.  If I didn't have familial responsibilities, when I lost my job four years ago I would have tried re-inventing myself by going to a trade school.

But I had/have to do what I'm experienced in (Ops Management) and I get almost zero satisfaction out of my job.  Mostly because of millennial !@#$s.

If you're capable of pursuing a different career that you are confident will make you happy ... DO IT. 

Yeah yeah everyone wants to be a welder and everyone thinks they can weld. 

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Have you thought of moving to another state?  Maybe that could make a difference.

I need to get my 25 years in Vermont in order to collect my full retirement.  I can’t afford to start over again at zero in another state’s retirement system.  Sadly...

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Can they not?  I mean you’d assume that anyone with reasonable intelligence could pick it up, right?  It’s not rocket surgery!

Just now, GoBills808 said:

My son wants to be a welder.  He's in 9th grade and will do the BOCES/VoTech welding program for 11th and 12th grade.  He does not want to go to college and I (and his mom) respect that and fully support him.

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I need to get my 25 years in Vermont in order to collect my full retirement.  I can’t afford to start over again at zero in another state’s retirement system.  Sadly...

Can they not?  I mean you’d assume that anyone with reasonable intelligence could pick it up, right?  It’s not rocket surgery!

If you can brush your teeth you can weld.  Very few can do it properly IMO.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

My son wants to be a welder.  He's in 9th grade and will do the BOCES/VoTech welding program for 11th and 12th grade.  He does not want to go to college and I (and his mom) respect that and fully support him.

It's a good field for the foreseeable future, people always gonna need metal connected to other metal.

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

If you can brush your teeth you can weld.  Very few can do it properly IMO.

It's a good field for the foreseeable future, people always gonna need metal connected to other metal.

The last thing I want him doing is being part of an office atmosphere for a big company.  I couldn't be happier to know that he just wants to work, make money and be happy. 

Just now, Gugny said:

The last thing I want him doing is being part of an office atmosphere for a big company.  I couldn't be happier to know that he just wants to work, make money and be happy. 

I love welding ****. I'm no good at it but it's a necessary tool for my line of work and it really makes you appreciate the guys who can do it well. Good machinists and the like are not going to be out of work, ever...good for him.

• Like (+1) 1