Herm Edwards Hired as New HC at Arizona State

26CornerBlitz

19 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

This should be interesting. 

ASU is my alma mater. I think he should look into hiring new coordinators.

Norvell was awesome. Then he left for the Memphis job and has made them awesome.

Do you remember just how bad he is as a coach? The Jets had to hire another coach just to manage the clock. He's a nice guy but he is a motivational speaker, NOT a football coach.

He is Jauron level bad, I think worse. Perhaps a step above Kotite. If he lasts 1 season he will be lucky. Sorry. :(

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Do you remember just how bad he is as a coach? The Jets had to hire another coach just to manage the clock. He's a nice guy but he is a motivational speaker, NOT a football coach.

He is Jauron level bad, I think worse. Perhaps a step above Kotite. If he lasts 1 season he will be lucky. Sorry. :(

I'm sorry, too. My fanhood gives me hope...

42 minutes ago, Cynical said:

Herm Edwards. Hasn't coached in almost 10 years. Never coached at the collegiate level.

This will turn out fabulously.

Yeah I just don’t get it. It’s not even like he played there. I think he has a year or two experience as a college assistant 25 years ago or so. Going from not coaching at all for a decade to a head coach at a P5 program would be a major life change. In college it’s 365 days/year with recruiting. The hours are insane. I know there isnt as much intense pressure at ASU like there would be at some other schools but the demands are still there.

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yeah I just don’t get it. It’s not even like he played there. I think he has a year or two experience as a college assistant 25 years ago or so. Going from not coaching at all for a decade to a head coach at a P5 program would be a major life change. In college it’s 365 days/year with recruiting. The hours are insane. I know there isnt as much intense pressure at ASU like there would be at some other schools but the demands are still there.

I would think he would be looking at more of an advisory position at this point in his career.  I agree, really strange move.

On 11/29/2017 at 9:50 PM, Augie said:

On Golic and Wingo this morning they just asked him to break the news there. He said he liked stepping out on the grass.  He can always go back to ESPN or FS1 or a similar option. 

...maybe why he's looking for a coaching gig versus the ESPN mess............they're not trailing the NBC/LauerGate sinking ship by much..............

On 11/30/2017 at 5:43 PM, Bill from NYC said:

He wasn't a great coach But was he worse than Saban in NFL? He took 2 different NFL teams to the playoffs, with his qbs being Pennington, Huard,  & Vinny.  That's not bad.

and it's kinda amazing ASU isn't better at football. It's not exactly Harvard, great weather, party school, loaded with hot dumb girls, & a ton of talent In state.

college is all about recruiting.  If you are a parent, I could see wanting your son to play for a man like Herm.  We'll see.

Just like success in college means nothing in the NFL, the opposite is true.  And recruiting is about WAY more than being a name (and an old NFL name at that).  Like Yolo said, it's absolutely non stop, not to mention completely dog eat dog.  I can't imagine this working out, but of course I've been surprised before.

Edited by Acantha

2 hours ago, Acantha said:

Just like success in college means nothing in the NFL, the opposite is true.  And recruiting is about WAY more than being a name (and an old NFL name at that).  Like Yolo said, it's absolutely non stop, not to mention completely dog eat dog.  I can't imagine this working out, but of course I've been surprised before.

Edwards wasn't the best coach, but nobody outworked him.  I don't think that he'll have any trouble keeping up.  As an aside, my daughter is a freshman at ASU and I'd love it if he ended up there. I love listening to the guy.

2 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Edwards wasn't the best coach, but nobody outworked him.  I don't think that he'll have any trouble keeping up.  As an aside, my daughter is a freshman at ASU and I'd love it if he ended up there. I love listening to the guy.

It's not that he can't work hard, it's that he's getting into one of the toughest jobs in football, for the first time, at 64 years old, and his time in the NFL will be worth almost nothing to him there.

Any way you slice it, it's a strange move.

9 minutes ago, Acantha said:

It's not that he can't work hard, it's that he's getting into one of the toughest jobs in football, for the first time, at 64 years old, and his time in the NFL will be worth almost nothing to him there.

Any way you slice it, it's a strange move.

Strange? Football is the guy's life and he loves coaching. He has, IMO, a personality that will aid him in recruiting and I repeat, he won't be out worked.  He has nothing to lose in this situation so calling it strange is 'strange' to me. 

Just now, Cripple Creek said:

Strange? Football is the guy's life and he loves coaching. He has, IMO, a personality that will aid him in recruiting and I repeat, he won't be out worked.  He has nothing to lose in this situation so calling it strange is 'strange' to me. 

Yes, strange.  Not that hard to understand what I'm saying.  Strange choice of jobs.  Strange choice of hires.  

Guess time will tell.

1 hour ago, Acantha said:

Yes, strange.  Not that hard to understand what I'm saying.  Strange choice of jobs.  Strange choice of hires.  

Guess time will tell.

It is hard to understand if you know anything about the man.  He is going into a tough place, interesting to see how it works out for him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.