Should the Pegulas Cash Out?

Coach Tuesday

Long time lurker but I am real new account on this board. Less than a week. I've limited myself to just commenting on topics. I did this out of respect to all the long term posters who have populated this board. I just sprinkle in my opinions.

The answer your question, the last owner owned the Bills until he passed away. I don't think the option to just buy an NFL franchise comes along very often. It also costs a lot of money not a lot of people will ever come by. Thinking logical I say best to just get used to the owners we have now because I doubt they go anywhere in a very long time. 

9 hours ago, ALF said:

I vote no , let McD and Beane have 5 years to rebuild . There staff is not good so far.

If the Pegulas spend big time on both there teams scouting departments it will work. 

They have already done that with both organizations with very little to show for it.

To his credit, Pegula dumped money into both organizations every way he could without having to deal with a cap problem.

So facilities, scouting departments, resources, coaching salaries...that stuff was all pumped up right away.

Not much to show for it however.

How can you possibly say that the first time GM and head coach combos have failed miserably already? 

They are 10 and 20 games in to their tenures. Just under 2/3rds of a single season for McBeane, and 1/4 of a single season for Botterill and Housley... 

Neither have had a chance to build the team they want. Beane hasn't even had a draft or free agency yet (he came roughly 2 months after it had started). Botterill had 1 draft, after only 1 month on the job, with all of Tim Murray's old scouts who had been scouting for Tim Murray type players all year (although Botterill sure seems to have made the best of a less than ideal situation. The Mittelstadt pick looks like it could be a home run). 

The way way I look at it - the Pegulas only recently put the people in place, from top to bottom, that they truly wanted. 

They gave Whaley and Regier a chance to put their current teams over the top by opening the check books in a way we have NEVER seen in Buffalo. When have the Bills or Sabres EVER been cap teams? It may have happened in a random year or two, but they were both almost Always internal budget teams. We hired cheap coaches, cheap GMs, cheap scouts (and in the Sabres case they actually scouted off video tape!) etc etc. 

When that didn't work out, they cleaned house and brought in the people they wanted. For the Bills it's McDermott and Beane. For the Sabres it was LaFontaine, which only lasted 2 months and then they were more/less stuck with Tim Murray. So they gave him a chance, and made the change to the guy they wanted - Jason Botterill. 

So lets maybe give them more than 1/4 to 2/3rds of a season, yeah? 

I think the Pegulas have been great for Buffalo. When have either of our sports teams ever been able to compete, salary wise, with the big boys of the league? As I said above, we used to go after the cheap hires and cheap feee agents. We'd watch our best players leave over monetary reasons. Remember when the Sabres were a true Cup contender and Presidents trophy team ('06 & '07) and we watched both of our co-captains and best players walk in the same offseason (Briere & Drury)? Remember when they used to try and recruit free agents by sending them a coach class plane ticket? Now they recruit with a private plane and yacht + the nicest facilities in both the NFL & NHL (locker rooms, gyms etc). Remember when we had bare bones staffs and put no focus on player development? Now we are on the cutting edge of the league with technology and player development staffs.

I could go on and on about all the money they've poured in... and that's not even mentioning all the good they've done for the city of Buffalo. The businesses they've built, the jobs they've added etc. 

They are new owners. They may make a mistake here and there but I have faith they will get it right. I am perfectly happy with our billionaire owners, who are also big fans of the teams they bought, and I am thankful that both of those teams futures are cemented in Buffalo for a very long time (as they've already said their kids will eventually take over once they are gone). 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Wonder why St. Doug wanted Whaley gone.

I'd have rather kept the Saint than Whaley.

Got nothing to say about Pegula giving Dareus' agent a sweetheart deal because of their prior relationship?  

TPegs has a history of being generous to a fault in his sports business dealings........he wants people to like him in THIS endeavor in his life.........but the bottom line is that it's still a business and while millions of dollars are a drop in the bucket to him.......waving that money around can sometimes work against the goal of winning.  

For a guy like Rex......a bit weary after a beating as HC in NY.........that fat 5 year contract was a huge disincentive.    Not putting restrictions in Marcell's contract might have made his friend the agent happy but it was a disincentive for Dareus to work hard.

You can't just buy results in pro sports.........at some point you have to make good football decisions and that inevitably means learning how to dangle carrots even if that means your HC isn't going to be as comfortable around you while sipping scotch on your yacht.

You want to be THAT kind of boss.........fine.........hire someone to run your business and you can be that guy. 

I think Pegs wants to have his hands all up in it but he wants to be loved and respected.   And that's hard to do in pro sports.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Got nothing to say about Pegula giving Dareus' agent a sweetheart deal because of their prior relationship?  

TPegs has a history of being generous to a fault in his sports business dealings........he wants people to like him in THIS endeavor in his life.........but the bottom line is that it's still a business and while millions of dollars are a drop in the bucket to him.......waving that money around can sometimes work against the goal of winning.  

For a guy like Rex......a bit weary after a beating as HC in NY.........that fat 5 year contract was a huge disincentive.    Not putting restrictions in Marcell's contract might have made his friend the agent happy but it was a disincentive for Dareus to work hard.

You can't just buy results in pro sports.........at some point you have to make good football decisions and that inevitably means learning how to dangle carrots even if that means your HC isn't going to be as comfortable around you while sipping scotch on your yacht.

You want to be THAT kind of boss.........fine.........hire someone to run your business and you can be that guy. 

I think Pegs wants to have his hands all up in it but he wants to be loved and respected.   And that's hard to do in pro sports.

Hey you had no input when I asked who your "dream czar" was that's actually available.

You first.

11 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Let me start by saying that I really like the Pegulas as people - they seem like good citizens and possess integrity and beneficence.  And yes, we as fans owe them gratitude for keeping both the Bills and Sabres afloat and in Buffalo.

All of that said, they are horrible owners.  They are well-intentioned and want to win, but clearly have no idea how to do it.  They have empowered the wrong people at the wrong times.  They have proven to be susceptible to good interviews at the expense of more sophisticated due diligence.  They have employed bizarre organizational structures that have undermined the few quality hires they have made.  They have supported borderline insane team building strategies that have resulted in a near-impossible run of sustained failure.  There does not seem to be any end to this trend on the horizon and I’m really struggling to understand what the plan is for turning the Bills and Sabres into winning franchises.  Certainly, pairing first-time GMs with first-time coaches has failed miserably for both teams and, in the case of the Bills, the decision to expel elite talent, rather than maximizing and supporting the talent on hand with quality coaching and added depth, has bombed in spectacular fashion.

In a word, they have destroyed two sports franchises.

I’m wondering if it’s time for Kim and Terry to look for sale partners for one or both teams.  Perhaps they could sell a majority stake and become passive minority owners (although the leagues may have some restrictions on this) or perhaps they should just sell outright.  I’d imagine at this point their investments have appreciated nicely.  Perhaps it is time for them to reap some of those gains and turn the businesses over to individuals or entities that know what they’re doing.

I know some of you will respond to let me know how ungrateful I am.  That’s fine, you’re entitled to your opinions.  My opinion is that the fans here deserve more than just “we kept the franchises in Buffalo” - rather, the fans, who give their hard-earned dollars to billionaires, deserve competence. We’re not getting competence.

In a word: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Not unless you want to risk Buffalo losing either or both teams.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Hey you had no input when I asked who your "dream czar" was that's actually available.

You first.

I don't need a dream czar.......the owner does........and his fellow owners told him that's what he needed.

That person has to have been a GM or HC with championship pedigree.   There are a bunch of those.

But if you think it makes more sense to hire a guy who has never been a HC..... who got fired as a DC six years ago.....and give him full control of your operations I guess you are just DFW and deserve exactly what you get.

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't need a dream czar.......the owner does........and his fellow owners told him that's what he needed.

That person has to have been a GM or HC with championship pedigree.   There are a bunch of those.

But if you think it makes more sense to hire a guy who has never been a HC..... who got fired as a DC six years ago.....and give him full control of your operations I guess you are just DFW and deserve exactly what you get.

I'm hurt. No really.

How'd Parcells do as a czar, btw?

7 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Amazing what a tank year will do, huh.

Who'da thunk it?

You really have no recollection do you?:doh:

Hiring a successful football lifer to pick football people is not very common cuz owners want to play with their toy.

But the Pegula's were clueless about pro sports........this isn't Bob Kraft who grew up as a fan and season ticket holder..........the Pegula's had never been to a Bills home game until they bought the team.........and they lived right in OP during the SB era.:lol:    Not big football fans Joe.     

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Hiring a successful football lifer to pick football people is not very common cuz owners want to play with their toy.

But the Pegula's were clueless about pro sports........this isn't Bob Kraft who grew up as a fan and season ticket holder..........the Pegula's had never been to a Bills home game until they bought the team.........and they lived right in OP during the SB era.:lol:    Not big football fans Joe.     

Do you like Bills football?

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So you're saying that Pegula lied about having Bills season tickets whee they lived in the area?  And Kraft's season tickets made him more knowledgeable about football than Pegula who was PSUs football largest booster?

3 minutes ago, GG said:

So you're saying that Pegula lied about having Bills season tickets whee they lived in the area?  And Kraft's season tickets made him more knowledgeable about football than Pegula who was PSUs football largest booster?

Funny how someone hitting the lottery in the 6th round suddenly is a genius.

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

How can you possibly say that the first time GM and head coach combos have failed miserably already? 

They are 10 and 20 games in to their tenures. Just under 2/3rds of a single season for McBeane, and 1/4 of a single season for Botterill and Housley... 

Neither have had a chance to build the team they want. Beane hasn't even had a draft or free agency yet (he came roughly 2 months after it had started). Botterill had 1 draft, after only 1 month on the job, with all of Tim Murray's old scouts who had been scouting for Tim Murray type players all year (although Botterill sure seems to have made the best of a less than ideal situation. The Mittelstadt pick looks like it could be a home run). 

The way way I look at it - the Pegulas only recently put the people in place, from top to bottom, that they truly wanted. 

They gave Whaley and Regier a chance to put their current teams over the top by opening the check books in a way we have NEVER seen in Buffalo. When have the Bills or Sabres EVER been cap teams? It may have happened in a random year or two, but they were both almost Always internal budget teams. We hired cheap coaches, cheap GMs, cheap scouts (and in the Sabres case they actually scouted off video tape!) etc etc. 

When that didn't work out, they cleaned house and brought in the people they wanted. For the Bills it's McDermott and Beane. For the Sabres it was LaFontaine, which only lasted 2 months and then they were more/less stuck with Tim Murray. So they gave him a chance, and made the change to the guy they wanted - Jason Botterill. 

So lets maybe give them more than 1/4 to 2/3rds of a season, yeah? 

I think the Pegulas have been great for Buffalo. When have either of our sports teams ever been able to compete, salary wise, with the big boys of the league? As I said above, we used to go after the cheap hires and cheap feee agents. We'd watch our best players leave over monetary reasons. Remember when the Sabres were a true Cup contender and Presidents trophy team ('06 & '07) and we watched both of our co-captains and best players walk in the same offseason (Briere & Drury)? Remember when they used to try and recruit free agents by sending them a coach class plane ticket? Now they recruit with a private plane and yacht + the nicest facilities in both the NFL & NHL (locker rooms, gyms etc). Remember when we had bare bones staffs and put no focus on player development? Now we are on the cutting edge of the league with technology and player development staffs.

I could go on and on about all the money they've poured in... and that's not even mentioning all the good they've done for the city of Buffalo. The businesses they've built, the jobs they've added etc. 

They are new owners. They may make a mistake here and there but I have faith they will get it right. I am perfectly happy with our billionaire owners, who are also big fans of the teams they bought, and I am thankful that both of those teams futures are cemented in Buffalo for a very long time (as they've already said their kids will eventually take over once they are gone). 

Thank you for a great post.

• Like (+1) 2

At least with the Pegulas I feel like there is a chance the Bills/Sabres can reach that ultimate goal of a championship and sustained success. 

I definitely didnt feel feel that way under the previous ownership of both teams. We never had owners willing to dedicate the budget and resources necessary to truly be a championship caliber team on a regular basis. 

We are a small market team that now has ownership who are willing to compete with the big market teams. That's an extremely unusual situation for a small market team. Most are internal budget teams with limited spending and resources, which makes it harder to compete with the big boys. 

We now know that money is no longer a huge road block to building a competitive team... IMO that's a big deal for a team in Buffalo. 

I still feel feel lucky to this day that the Pegulas bought both teams. 

• Like (+1) 1