Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • SDS

      Problems logging in?   11/05/2017

      I know a few people are getting logged out too quickly. I don't have the answer to that yet.   However, one change that occurred is that there is no longer a log in name and a separate display name. The upgrade discarded the log in name and now uses the display name. So, to log in:   Username: <display name> Password: <your password>   If you need to contact me to find out what your display name is use: Contact Us  and we can get things sorted out.
Billsfan1972

Watkins needs to step up.... Woods out....

Recommended Posts

Because I'm so tired about Peterman and the idea he actually may start vs. KC.....

 

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-rams/post/_/id/36486/with-wr-robert-woods-out-sammy-watkins-must-step-up

 

Interesting read.  

 

Watched the Rams/Vikings and Goff did exactly what I've stated would happen when things don't go as smoothly as other times.  

 

When he needed to score, he failed.  To bring even a bigger smile to my face was his boy Cooper Kupp fumbled on the 1 on a play if you see the highlights, Watkins too was running over the middle wide open in the endzone and ignored, and then dropped a perfect crucial 3rd down pass too (much like Thompson vs. NO, when the game was 17-7)....  

 

I like Kupp, but reading the article above outlines how seldom Watkins has been targeted and many of them throwaways (Sunday's incompletion to Watkins was into double coverage and thrown out of bounds).

 

However if they don't throw it to Watkins what can he do?  Again I don't watch all22, but seen him open plenty of times when I watch the Rams.

 

Now that will be a fun game on Sunday.

 

Edited by Billsfan1972

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Woods was the WR we should have never let get away. He's having a fantastic year for LA. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I can’t follow the language here.  I have very little idea what you’re even talking about.  

I'm a little confused as well.  The article basically says they need to target Watkins more with Woods out and the OP's talking about Goff being overrated (explaining the lack of production by Watkins).  I think.  If the Rams are counting on Watkins stepping up they're in for a rude awakening.

 

 

Edited by Doc Brown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I think Sammy Watkins is an overhyped one-trick pony.  His game has not translated well to the NFL and injuries aside, he has never been as productive as all of his supporters want to believe he is.  I am glad he is gone from the Bills.  The Doug Whaley era will go down as one of the worst in Bills history.  The price he paid for Watkins was as damaging as any of the collossal blunders made by the Bills over the years.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I can’t follow the language here.  I have very little idea what you’re even talking about.  

 

The OP is referencing the Rams-Vikings game on Sunday.  Robert Woods injured his shoulder in that game.  Jared Goff's favorite WR,  Cooper Kupp, caught a pass but fumbled on the 1 going into the EZ.  Sammy Watkins again wasn't targeted much.  IOW, the Vikes defense effectively shut down the Rams high flying passing offense.  Unlike the Bills game, it was a good football game ... I watched it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

 

The OP is referencing the Rams-Vikings game on Sunday.  Robert Woods injured his shoulder in that game.  Jared Goff's favorite WR,  Cooper Kupp, caught a pass but fumbled on the 1 going into the EZ.  Sammy Watkins again wasn't targeted much.  IOW, the Vikes defense effectively shut down the Rams high flying passing offense.  Unlike the Bills game, it was a good football game ... I watched it.

 

Thank you - for future thread-creators, it helps if you actually explain what the heck you are talking about and don’t assume that the rest of us can divine it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Personally I think Sammy Watkins is an overhyped one-trick pony.  His game has not translated well to the NFL and injuries aside, he has never been as productive as all of his supporters want to believe he is.  I am glad he is gone from the Bills.  The Doug Whaley era will go down as one of the worst in Bills history.  The price he paid for Watkins was as damaging as any of the collossal blunders made by the Bills over the years.

To the contrary,  Watkins can run every route very well.  The one trick pony assessment is inaccurate. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Personally I think Sammy Watkins is an overhyped one-trick pony.  His game has not translated well to the NFL and injuries aside, he has never been as productive as all of his supporters want to believe he is.  I am glad he is gone from the Bills.  The Doug Whaley era will go down as one of the worst in Bills history.  The price he paid for Watkins was as damaging as any of the collossal blunders made by the Bills over the years.

 

Made worse by the fact the Bills could have remained at 9, without the trade up and draft capital they had to relinquish, and taken Beckham. UGGGGGHHHH....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

 

Made worse by the fact the Bills could have remained at 9, without the trade up and draft capital they had to relinquish, and taken Beckham. UGGGGGHHHH....

As true as that is, you'll go crazy playing that game.  Instead of drafting Torrell Troup, they could have taken Rob Gronkowski.  Every QB the Bills have had since would have suddently become much better, and the Pats wouldn't have had the same range of weapons. 

 

OTOH, this year they traded down in the first round, picked up the Chief's first rounder next year, and still got the CB they wanted.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  We just lost too many.

 

Out of all the first and second rounders the Bills have ever drafted, only six remain on the Bills roster, and three of them are from this year.  THAT'S where the problem is.  Too many poor picks, too many picks useful only for a coach who isn't here anymore (Ragland for Wrecks), too many good players who left as FAs.  THAT'S why the defense is so thin, why the DL is so weak, why the OL is floundering, why we have no WRs that demand special attention.  And as far as we know, that great QB we need is still not here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't watched a ton of Rams football, but ... seems to me Woods has proved that he's more than the "solid #2 receiver" we - and the Bills management - thought he was. And since the Rams offense took a huge step forward, I'm not inclined to criticize Sammy. If he's been mostly a decoy or a guy to occupy the other team's best corner, etc., well, that's been good enough. We could use one of those ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

To the contrary,  Watkins can run every route very well.  The one trick pony assessment is inaccurate. 

 

 

Can and does are two different things.  His numbers hardly reflect top flight receiver production in the NFL.  I don’t deny that the guy has talent but he is not elite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BuffaloBill said:

 

 

Can and does are two different things.  His numbers hardly reflect top flight receiver production in the NFL.  I don’t deny that the guy has talent but he is not elite.

 

If you believe all he runs are deep routes for the Rams, you're mistaken.  McVay's offense isn't designed to feature one receiver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

 

If you believe all he runs are deep routes for the Rams, you're mistaken.  McVay's offense isn't designed to feature one receiver.

 

 

We’re not having the same discussion.  I don’t care about the LA offense.  I suppose you are in the camp that says the Bills should not have traded in away.  I am in the camp that says it was a good trade.  The guy never lived up to his hype and Buffalo likely would not have signed him to his second contract at the ridiculous money he is likely to pursue given his average production.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BuffaloBill said:

 

 

We’re not having the same discussion.  I don’t care about the LA offense.  I suppose you are in the camp that says the Bills should not have traded in away.  I am in the camp that says it was a good trade.  The guy never lived up to his hype and Buffalo likely would not have signed him to his second contract at the ridiculous money he is likely to pursue given his average production.

 

Stipulated.  We'll disagree here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Personally I think Sammy Watkins is an overhyped one-trick pony.  His game has not translated well to the NFL and injuries aside, he has never been as productive as all of his supporters want to believe he is.  I am glad he is gone from the Bills.  The Doug Whaley era will go down as one of the worst in Bills history.  The price he paid for Watkins was as damaging as any of the collossal blunders made by the Bills over the years.

Do you watch Bills games? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Do you watch Bills games? 

 

Yes, every one that Watkins has played in.  So, you obviously hold that the trade was bad.  So what?  It’s done and while stranger things have happened Sammy is not coming back.  I look forward to seeing who the Bills draft with the pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watch the rams.  They are not throwing to watkins because Goff is told not to throw onto double coverage, which sammy draws along with their #1 coverage guy.  

 

Anyone who says kupp is a better receiver or open more often just want to denigrate watkins and knows nothing about football.

 

 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

 

Yes, every one that Watkins has played in.  So, you obviously hold that the trade was bad.  So what?  It’s done and while stranger things have happened Sammy is not coming back.  I look forward to seeing who the Bills draft with the pick.

Sure trust the process and who cared about 2017.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

 

 

Sure trust the process and who cared about 2017.

 

 

Do you have fairy dust that erases what is already done?  Perhaps you are of the belief that you get better by repeating or living with the bad decisions or prior regimes.  Maybe it’s that you buy into the fallacy that if you have enoug great skill players they make up for deficiencies at the QB position.  

 

Yeah, “the process” will take time but it’s what the Bills ownership and leadership bought into.  The situation is not going to change overnight.  Let’s hope it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

 

 

Do you have fairy dust that erases what is already done?  Perhaps you are of the belief that you get better by repeating or living with the bad decisions or prior regimes.  Maybe it’s that you buy into the fallacy that if you have enoug great skill players they make up for deficiencies at the QB position.  

 

Yeah, “the process” will take time but it’s what the Bills ownership and leadership bought into.  The situation is not going to change overnight.  Let’s hope it works.

It wasnt that bad.  A few tweaks and better coaching and that 7-9 (remember they threw away the last game in 2016) is 11-5 which wpuld have been reason for a parade here.  Quit pretending we were 2-14 the last 4 years 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

To the contrary,  Watkins can run every route very well.  The one trick pony assessment is inaccurate. 

24 Rec , 4 TDs

I admittedly haven’t paid attention to the Rams other that highlights but those are not great stats for a double first round “ once in a generation” receiver.

Hated that pick the moment it happened 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

It wasnt that bad.  A few tweaks and better coaching and that 7-9 (remember they threw away the last game in 2016) is 11-5 which wpuld have been reason for a parade here.  Quit pretending we were 2-14 the last 4 years 

 

 

 

 

I am not pretending we were 2-14.  I’ll make a point again - If the Bills do not answer and address the need they have at QB this merry go round of futility will continue.  Look across the NFL.  The teams that have a very good to great QB are almost always consistently competitive and make the playoffs (yes, Indy might be the most glaring exception).  The teams that had a middling to poor QB, like the Bills for the past 17 years, run on the treadmill of futility.

 

This regime found a way to stockpile draft picks.  If this results in finally landing the QB the team needs then good for them.  If they don’t end up with the QB that is needed they will join a long and growing list of failed regimes in Buffalo and the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Zay will be lucky to ever get to Woods’s level.  That’s a fact.

no...it's not.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×