So what went wrong today?

Steptide

Yes 5 interceptions, I know. 

But, what exactly happened? First, we won the coin toss and didn't defer to the 2nd half. I'm pretty sure this is the first time this year the bills have done that. Why? 2nd, Dennison was up in the booth calling plays for the first time this year. Not that I think this is really a game changer, but again why? 

Last, Peterman has looked cool, calm and collected in the times we've seen him. Just a week ago he came in and played well in a very short time. How does a guy come in and play as terrible as he did? Ironically, his first 2 passes looked great. A 1st down to clay and then to Benjamin. I don't know what happened after that. Just trying to make sense of today's disaster 

Chargers Run D made it a complete nightmare for him......We have without a doubt the worst O-line in football in the last couple of games....This was not a good matchup for a player like Peterman.....this team tends to throw the QB's right into the fire and this game was an example of this......I for one was curious and kind of excited to see the change and see if a possible spark can be had......reality is IMO is i go back to my initial thought....never ever bench a QB while  you are still in the playoff hunt...well maybe if you have a 2nd string QB who has at least some NFL experience but not like today.....in the end im disappointed in the loss...actually quite pissed as i dont see any way to rebound from this and im not just talking about our offence...our defence was yet again pure garbage.......I do feel really bad for the kid....not a good way to break him into live nfl action...imo....and this is on the coaches yet again!

Edited by JPP

10 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Yes 5 interceptions, I know. 

But, what exactly happened? First, we won the coin toss and didn't defer to the 2nd half. I'm pretty sure this is the first time this year the bills have done that. Why? 2nd, Dennison was up in the booth calling plays for the first time this year. Not that I think this is really a game changer, but again why? 

Last, Peterman has looked cool, calm and collected in the times we've seen him. Just a week ago he came in and played well in a very short time. How does a guy come in and play as terrible as he did? Ironically, his first 2 passes looked great. A 1st down to clay and then to Benjamin. I don't know what happened after that. Just trying to make sense of today's disaster 

This team isn't strong enough to support a rookie QB making his first start.

4 minutes ago, JPP said:

Chargers Run D made it a complete nightmare for him......We have without a doubt the worst O-line in football in the last couple of games....This was not a good matchup for a player like Peterman.....this team tends to throw the QB's right into the fire and this game was an example of this......I for one was curious and kind of excited to see the change and see if a possible spark can be had......reality is IMO is i go back to my initial thought....never ever bench a QB while  you are still in the playoff hunt...well maybe if you have a 2nd string QB who has at least some NFL experience but not like today.....in the end im disappointed in the loss...actually quite pissed as i dont see any way to rebound from this and im not just talking about our offence...our defence was yet again pure garbage.......I do feel really bad for the kid....not a good way to break him into live nfl action...imo....and this is on the coaches yet again!

well said. 

The coaching staff is pathetic...

How could the coaches expect a different result with that brutal O-line? I tried to get behind the move but it just made no sense to me with this team still fighting for a playoff spot. If there were a few hold outs on this team that hadn't quit on McD, I think it is safe to say they have seen the light.

3 minutes ago, PABillsfan23 said:

Hard to win turning the ball over 6 times and giving up all those points 

Story of this team the last few weeks....well except for the part of turning the ball over until today....

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The Bills seem to want to specialize in making bad teams look good.  The Bills had no business losing to the Jets nor the Bolts.

Yes they did completely......the way this putrid run defence has been performing lately they did not deserve to win!  It is completely unacceptable to allow almost 500 yards on the ground in over 2 games...no excuse for this..i dont even know what the amount today was.....

21 minutes ago, JPP said:

Story of this team the last few weeks....well except for the part of turning the ball over until today....

Yes they did completely......the way this putrid run defence has been performing lately they did not deserve to win!  It is completely unacceptable to allow almost 500 yards on the ground in over 2 games...no excuse for this..i dont even know what the amount today was.....

We are not as good as our record would have us believe.  Reality sets in, we really are a five win team. 

This team is who we thought they'd be at the beginning of the season.  We never expected to win more than 5 games before the season started.  You could say that we got rid of good talent either by trade or by not resigning them...but in truth, we exchanged our talent for other equally talented players.  The exception being Dareus.  We got nothing but a draft pick...but we will have cap relief in the future. 

So, the Bills are proving the initial prognosticators correct.  I know we are playoff starved, but does anyone seriously want these Bills to barely make the playoffs?  All we'd do is reduce our draft position.  The switch to Peterman was as McD said, a calculated risk.  Well...the risk cost us a game...although with this defense, there's no guarantee we would have won anyway.

If anything, we are seeing how truly far away we are from being contenders and not pretenders.  We've drafted middle of the pack for too long and the teams that are now doing well, that were perennial losers, had the advantages of a lot of high draft picks and lots of cap space to build their teams.  We drafted poorly...trading away picks...and then signed high-priced contracts that got us into cap jail.  

Finish the season.  If we only win one or two more games.  Fine.  Go into the off season, knowing better what the team needs.  Use the draft picks we've accumulated and start the rebuilding process.  Learn from the mistakes made this season.  Please get rid of Dennison.  Our issues are more than QB and o-line related on offense.

• Like (+1) 1

today showed that the coaching staff is clueless as to what they now have as a football team. Who got into McD's ear and said that Peterman was ready? Or does he own that disaster himself? Imo McD needs to own up to his shortcomings and start firing some assistants. Tomorrow would be a good day too start. 

34 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The Bills seem to want to specialize in making bad teams look good.  The Bills had no business losing to the Jets nor the Bolts.

As well as Cincy, IMO.  Even though they beat Denver, they're 4-6 and third place in the AFC North.

Only a fool watches this game and focuses on the QB or thinks QB play or turnovers is why we lost.

The defense got broken 3 games ago against the Jets and it has gotten worse ever since.

If Tyrod had started this game, we would still have lost, just in a different fashion.

We may well lose the next 3 games in the same manner.

KC and NE are losses.  Colts?  That is up in the air.  Easily could lose as well.