Are we able to get anything for Tyrod?

The Tomcat

Taylor has been consistent, yes. By gimmick I mean that he can't or won't make many plays from the pocket , which to this day is what the NFL is based upon.Taylor needs an unconventional offense to get the most out of him.  He hasn't been able to overcome this weakness and reinvent himself as a QB. Steve Young was being dismissed as a gimmick QB until he did this, by his own admission. The record and stats have been consistent , but that is reflective of the problem. Personally, I was behind Taylor until after the last couple games. I did not even think about McD making a change , just because I didn't think he would until the season was lost. After the Saints game I figured every team ( especially Lynns Chargers ) would give Tyrod the Taylor treatment and wondered if the Bills could win another game with Taylor at the helm. I thought McD would do the conservative thing and allow the season to go down the tubes with Tyrod because he wouldn't be criticized when it happened. I give the coach credit, he is taking a risk and opening himself up to second guessing if Peterman can't get a win on Sunday. He likely analyzed the Lynn factor but also weighed that this might be the easiest stadium in the entire NFL for the road team. He's going with his gut, and I applaud that. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

3 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Taylor has been consistent, yes. By gimmick I mean that he can't or won't make many plays from the pocket , which to this day is what the NFL is based upon.Taylor needs an unconventional offense to get the most out of him.  He hasn't been able to overcome this weakness and reinvent himself as a QB. Steve Young was being dismissed as a gimmick QB until he did this, by his own admission. The record and stats have been consistent , but that is reflective of the problem. Personally, I was behind Taylor until after the last couple games. I did not even think about McD making a change , just because I didn't think he would until the season was lost. After the Saints game I figured every team ( especially Lynns Chargers ) would give Tyrod the Taylor treatment and wondered if the Bills could win another game with Taylor at the helm. I thought McD would do the conservative thing and allow the season to go down the tubes with Tyrod because he wouldn't be criticized when it happened. I give the coach credit, he is taking a risk and opening himself up to second guessing if Peterman can't get a win on Sunday. He likely analyzed the Lynn factor but also weighed that this might be the easiest stadium in the entire NFL for the road team. He's going with his gut, and I applaud that. 

Fair enough, I guess we have a different definition of gimmick then.

You are correct in saying he cant make consistent throws from the pocket.

That's where I would say he's more limited rather than a gimmick quarterback though.

He has shown with the right system he can consistently play pretty well.

This system is just not meant for him though, and it's probably for the best that Peterman is starting going forward

Edited by billsfan11

8 hours ago, The Tomcat said:

Its clear we are going to move on from Tyrod.

Are we able to trade him at some point in time or does he just get to walk for free?  

Is he a FA the day the season ends?

He has value and would like get maximize trade value if we are able.

Sorry if this discussed elsewhere, I didn't see it if it was.

Taylor is not a FA after the season, but the Bills owe him a $6M roster bonus if he's on the team 3rd day of the 2018 season, so it would be hard to trade him with teams knowing if they just wait, he is likely to be cut.  From another thread:

On 11/16/2017 at 10:32 AM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Despite what many think here, I believe there is trade value.

Second rounder for Garapollo proves that.

But is his option once exercised tradeworthy?

He doesn't have an option this year, but he does have a roster bonus (see above).

Garappolo is a bit different:
1) he has that "mentored by Brady and Belichick" mystique going on for him.  Teams like to snipe players off winners.
2) he has looked like a capable conventional QB when he's played
3) he was a 2nd round pick, so he has that "high draft pick benefit of the doubt" going on for him

Taylor has the "running back who can throw" label following him, and being benched mid-season for a 5th round rookie because he's struggling to perform in a WCO won't help him shed that.  Yes, he has value to the right team/OC, but it has to be the right team - so they may well be willing to take their chances and  wait for the Bills to cut him lose.

The only way you get something for Tyrod is if it's possible to structure a trade where you are going to pick up a lot of the money - maybe agree to pick up his 2018 bonus as part of the trade. Then you can buy a draft pick via the trade.  Similar to what Cleveland did with the Osweiller deal except here the team buying the pick would be unloading not receiving.   No one is going to trade for Tyrod if it means paying him $16m.  He's definitely worth $8-$10 and for that price someone would give up as high as a third or high second for a low range starting / highest echelon backup qb.  

On 11/17/2017 at 8:24 AM, kdiggz said:

a bag of footballs and a half eaten donut

Make it glazed and we have a deal.

People here tend to badly overvalue certain Bills players.  I remember a year ago people thinking teams would be lining up to give Taylor a big contract in the offseason.

No one is trading for that contract.  He'll be cut and signed by someone for high-end backup money.

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

Make it glazed and we have a deal.

People here tend to badly overvalue certain Bills players.  I remember a year ago people thinking teams would be lining up to give Taylor a big contract in the offseason.

No one is trading for that contract.  He'll be cut and signed by someone for high-end backup money.

We'll have less than $9million in dead money.  Not bad for a former starting QB.

22 hours ago, JM2009 said:

There's really a famine of good starting NFL QBs after the ones we are used to retire.

Yeah, with crappy young QBs like Wilson, Newton, Wentz, Prescott, Goff, Carr, Winston, Watson and Marriota....there's nothing to look forward to but famine.

On 11/17/2017 at 9:35 AM, billsfan11 said:

He is not a bad QB. Career record over .500 with some pretty bad talent/ coaching around him.

17.5 Mil is not that much money for a QB. Just ask Andy Dalton, Mike Glennon, Ryan Tannehill.

I don't think anyone will trade anything for him because they know the Bills want to move on from him. and will release him

But I'm almost certain he will be a starter in this league next year

there are so many horrible QB's out there now. He definitely will have a chance to start somewhere.

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah, with crappy young QBs like Wilson, Newton, Wentz, Prescott, Goff, Carr, Winston, Watson and Marriota....there's nothing to look forward to but famine.

and the other 70% of NFL starters?

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

there are so many horrible QB's out there now. He definitely will have a chance to start somewhere.

Well..that wasn't the poster's point.  He said that beyond "the ones we are used to" (I assume he means Brady, Manning, Brees, Ben, Rivers), there is nothing but a QB famine.

The NFL has always had a handful of stars, some mediocre guys and some bums starting at QB.  This will never change so no point in remarking on it.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well..that wasn't the poster's point.  He said that beyond "the ones we are used to" (I assume he means Brady, Manning, Brees, Ben, Rivers), there is nothing but a QB famine.

The NFL has always had a handful of stars, some mediocre guys and some bums starting at QB.  This will never change so no point in remarking on it.

Ok, i see that now.  But there are some really bad QB situations out there, probably involving the majority of NFL teams . 

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

Ok, i see that now.  But there are some really bad QB situations out there, probably involving the majority of NFL teams . 

So what?  When has it not been that way in the NFL?  The point is that there as many promising young QBs in there right now than there are old stars headed to retirement--maybe more.  That's the opposite of what the poster was trying to claim.

10 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I suppose...but only as a bridge to a real QB if they have no other options (a la the Bills this year).  No one is looking at him as a guy to build around which leads me to believe he'll be in a similar situation as Fitz a couple years ago re: contract.

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

I suppose...but only as a bridge to a real QB if they have no other options (a la the Bills this year).  No one is looking at him as a guy to build around which leads me to believe he'll be in a similar situation as Fitz a couple years ago re: contract.

He can go to the Vikings: he's like Bridgewater, only better, and he can run without his leg falling off.

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Gee, sorry.