Theory--starting Peterman more about the defense than anything

dave mcbride

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

This is my point! Coleman has been hanging around the far fringes of the league for four years, bouncing from practice squad to practice squad. And all of of a sudden this undrafted bum who has never done anything might actually be defense's focal point on run downs for the remainder of the season because he weighs a lot. The talent level is pathetic. 

The talent level is pathetic at Dareus' old position?  Yes, I agree with that, hence the reason I said it was a mistake to trade him.  However whether Coleman can be an effective space-eater remains to be seen. 

3 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

One of three things is about to happen:

1. Peterman bombs and the team finishes with 5-6 wins and a Top 10 draft pick and knowing they need to choose a franchise QB in the draft (win)

2. The team stays the same and either squeaks into the playoffs or just misses them, in which case the Bills have the option of taking a QB in the 2018 draft (win)

3. Peterman lights it up and is the next Kirk Cousins or Dak Prescott and the team rolls into the playoffs and making a bit of a run and the team doesn't need to draft a QB in 2018 (win)

McDermott just put the franchise in a no-lose situation!

5RxHuNL.gif

4 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

1. Peterman bombs and the team finishes with 5-6 wins and a Top 10 draft pick and knowing they need to choose a franchise QB in the draft (win)

2. The team stays the same and either squeaks into the playoffs or just misses them, in which case the Bills have the option of taking a QB in the 2018 draft (win)

3. Peterman lights it up and is the next Kirk Cousins or Dak Prescott and the team rolls into the playoffs and making a bit of a run and the team doesn't need to draft a QB in 2018 (win)

8-8 or 9-7 was possible with TT, and that should get the sixth seed. Big loss if Peterman can't do that.

Edited by JM2009

4 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

My fear is that Peterman will show just enough to make OBD think he's good enough to be Andy Dalton or Chad Pennington but with a little more exposure he turns into Trent Edwards or Ryan Fitzpatrick -- and we've missed out on drafting a quality QB again.

Just now, JM2009 said:

8-8 or 9-7 was possible with TT, and that should get the sixth seed. Big lose if Peterman can't do that.

And...then what? Sure, it would be nice to crush the drought. But they'd have little-to-no chance to advancing past the first weekend. They would be similar to the 2016 Dolphins.

Then, how do you get rid of the guy who was QB for the team that finally broke the drought?

If they know that Tyrod is not their franchise QB (which they did after his historically bad performance on Sunday), then it's best to just be done with him. "Like a band-aid...right off!"

clip.small.gif

9 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

And...then what? Sure, it would be nice to crush the drought. But they'd have little-to-no chance to advancing past the first weekend. They would be similar to the 2016 Dolphins.

Then, how do you get rid of the guy who was QB for the team that finally broke the drought?

If they know that Tyrod is not their franchise QB (which they did after his historically bad performance on Sunday), then it's best to just be done with him. "Like a band-aid...right off!"

clip.small.gif

Another one worrying about advancing after 17 years of this. The agenda people didn't want TT to be the QB that was part of ending it. The plan is to draft a QB next draft no matter what had TT did.

5 minutes ago, JM2009 said:

Another one worrying about advancing after 17 years of this. The agenda people didn't want TT to be the QB that was part of ending it. The plan is to draft a QB next draft no matter what had TT did.

your the only one with an agenda here. the. only. one.

Edited by Foxx

43 minutes ago, Doc said:

The talent level is pathetic at Dareus' old position?  Yes, I agree with that, hence the reason I said it was a mistake to trade him.  However whether Coleman can be an effective space-eater remains to be seen. 

They really need Coleman to become one of those rags to riches stories........like morph into Snax 2.0.   Longshot but stranger things......

20 minutes ago, Foxx said:

your the only one with an agenda here. the. only. one.

is he still using the agenda word? 

Well I guess our agenda worked!!     TT is no longer the starter   [ sarcasm plain and simple ] 

SMH  what foolishness 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

42 minutes ago, JM2009 said:

8-8 or 9-7 was possible with TT, and that should get the sixth seed. Big loss if Peterman can't do that.

6-3 or 7-2 was possible with Taylor and he couldn't do it. That was the issue here. How was Taylor going to beat teams going forward when they would all have kept him in the pocket? If the Bills lost close games to the Jets and Saints this move never happens. McDermott is a defensive coach and no longer believes Taylor can defeat what teams are throwing at him. He's trying to win games and make the playoffs, not wait until Tyrod loses two more and the playoffs become a virtual impossibility. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

6-3 or 7-2 was possible with Taylor and he couldn't do it. That was the issue here. How was Taylor going to beat teams going forward when they would all have kept him in the pocket? If the Bills lost close games to the Jets and Saints this move never happens. McDermott is a defensive coach and no longer believes Taylor can defeat what teams are throwing at him. He's trying to win games and make the playoffs, not wait until Tyrod loses two more and the playoffs become a virtual impossibility. 

TT actually played ok in the Jets game. He wasn't the reason they lost that game. NO is a much, much better team than the Bills and the whole team was lousy.

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

Your favorite guy got  benched.  Please accept this and move on.   You will feel better for it.  

I said I hope Peterman does well. I want to end the playoff drought.The Bills as the team that plays on a particular Sunday become my favorite players because I want to win. This is not true for the agenda people. Which you and others are a part of. That is the problem here. The five wins your group was absent in here for the most part And it was noticed.

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Can't pass on QB AGAIN.

Assuming Peterman doesn't look like the next coming of Brady, they need to draft QB with their first round pick. Stop passing on QBs. Why is that so easy for them? 

As for the defense, this is the roster McBeane assembled so they have no one to blame but themselves for the ****ty talent.They'll have cap room to work with so I suspect they'll bring in a few FAs to help patch some holes, but they need just about EVERYTHING. I'd start upfront with getting some interior pass rushers.

I knew they were in trouble when Rico said in the offseason he didn't care what they did last season on offense. 

Sounding like a coach who will force his system on the players... which is exactly what we are getting.

What if there is no QB that's worth a first round pick when the Bills pick?   That's my only disagreement with the idea of your statement, "they need to draft QB with their first round pick".  There's absolutely no guarantee that just because you need a QB (or a LB or DT) that a good one will be there waiting for you.  The 2018 class might well be a dud like 2013.

The biggest pitfall of drafting a QB in the first round is that he's going to prevent your team from drafting another one in the first round for the duration of his contract most likely.  It's just a fact of life.  There's 1 starting QB on a team who gets most of the reps and the coaches' attention.  Any other QBs get crumbs.  When the first round QB is struggling to become a first rate starter if he can, he gets all the attention.  The team isn't going to invest another first rounder the next year or the year after to sit on the bench and vegetate. 

Even QBs on rookie contracts are more expensive than OLers or DBs, so the team may very well miss on much better prospects if they take a QB in the first round just to say that they took one.   IMO, that's what they did in both 2004 and in 2013.  They missed out on Aaron Rodgers in 2005 for JP Losman, and they missed out on Derek Carr because they'd drafted EJ Manuel in 2013.  It seems to me that they're prepping themselves to again draft a QB in the first round just because they think it will excite the fans not that the kid they take is a real blue-chip prospect, which removes the draft selection from the realm of rational decision making and puts it over in the pure chance, lottery winning realm.  Maybe they'll get lucky, but probably not.  Not many people win big lottery jackpots, either.

Edited by SoTier

18 minutes ago, SoTier said:

What if there is no QB that's worth a first round pick when the Bills pick?   That's my only disagreement with the idea of your statement, "they need to draft QB with their first round pick".  There's absolutely no guarantee that just because you need a QB (or a LB or DT) that a good one will be there waiting for you.  The 2018 class might well be a dud like 2013.

The biggest pitfall of drafting a QB in the first round is that he's going to prevent your team from drafting another one in the first round for the duration of his contract most likely.  It's just a fact of life.  There's 1 starting QB on a team who gets most of the reps and the coaches' attention.  Any other QBs get crumbs.  When the first round QB is struggling to become a first rate starter if he can, he gets all the attention.  The team isn't going to invest another first rounder the next year or the year after to sit on the bench and vegetate. 

Even QBs on rookie contracts are more expensive than OLers or DBs, so the team may very well miss on much better prospects if they take a QB in the first round just to say that they took one.   IMO, that's what they did in both 2004 and in 2013.  They missed out on Aaron Rodgers in 2005 for JP Losman, and they missed out on Derek Carr because they'd drafted EJ Manuel in 2013.  It seems to me that they're prepping themselves to again draft a QB in the first round just because they think it will excite the fans not that the kid they take is a real blue-chip prospect, which removes the draft selection from the realm of rational decision making and puts it over in the pure chance, lottery winning realm.  Maybe they'll get lucky, but probably not.  Not many people win big lottery jackpots, either.

By *all* accounts, there will be multiple first-round caliber qbs next year. 

34 minutes ago, JM2009 said:

TT actually played ok in the Jets game. He wasn't the reason they lost that game. NO is a much, much better team than the Bills and the whole team was lousy.

I said I hope Peterman does well. I want to end the playoff drought.The Bills as the team that plays on a particular Sunday become my favorite players because I want to win. This is not true for the agenda people. Which you and others are a part of. That is the problem here. The five wins your group was absent in here for the most part And it was noticed.

He's gone and he's not coming back dude. Time to move on.