Peterman: “What separates College QBs from NFL QBs is anticipation”

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I get an opportunity to see Cousins a lot in the DC/Md area. Cousins is not elite but he is good. He would be a good fit for what our staff prefers from an offensive scheme. Would I pay what he is asking for? Not sure I would. As I have repeatedly stated my preference is to use a high pick on a qb in this upcoming draft. 

Just a note for clarification: I said Peterman might be in the middle of the Cousins/Moore spectrum, probably closer to Moore because of arm strength issues. No matter what I'm interested in seeing how he does.

Got it and agree all around. 

I just dont think a guy like Moore ever has a chance in this league and it has been repeatedly proven. I'm actually shocked that a few different teams have made him their backup before realizing his arm can't do it. They watch him in practice and preseason and he lights it up, but that is only because he can then. The game, or players, are at 75% speed. 

3 hours ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

And he said being able to throw into tight windows. The dude is smart! Humble, respectful, but knowledgeable enough to plant a few words that confirm this is the right choice/time.

I didn't think there was any chance we were going to draft him even though I wanted it badly. He was the best pro-style quarterback in all of college last year after beating the defending national champion Clemson Tigers. He does something that Tyrod never did. He throws " the man open ". He throws to the area and expects his wr to be there. Our wide receivers are going to have to change on the fly and get used to this. The ball will be there waiting, not the other way around. Being SAFE is over.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

Nathan Peterman has some nice traits that you look for in a QB.

The one thing that is a concern going back to college and still in the pros is his tendency to sail balls

He has some inconsistencies in his base when delivering the ball and that causes the ball to sail

Couple this with his average arm strength and he can have some bad passes

but he is very smooth and quick in the pocket so let's see where this goes

17 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

There probably will not be a lot of those built into the offense

Well, those routes are part of the route tree for a reason and DCs will be quick to notice our reluctance and have their DBs playing inside technique. He's gotta be able to make that throw with consistency. He had a couple the other day and on his first pass it got there on time and was thrown before the receiver broke. So there's hope. 

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

If he is in between the qbs you mentioned then he would be a good backup. A Frank Reich type of qb. That would be good value from where he was picked. 

It's really important to find out what Peterman is capable of by the time the season is concluded. I still strongly believe that this franchise should use a high pick on qb in this next draft. 

Yup, and no reason not to use a high pick on a qb. We will need a backup anyways, as Taylor will be gone. Let the rook and Nate battle it out. Finely sounds nice in the 20’s right now. 

6 hours ago, Dorkington said:

I'm predicting a Ryan Fitzpatrick type performance. He'll gun it in there, but he'll miss a few risks, which will turn into interceptions. Not because I think that's his ceiling, but rather it'll be growing pains as a rookie. 

Good example. I'm hoping for a bit better judgement from NP than Fitz showed when the game's was on the line.