Chip Kelly to UCLA

YoloinOhio

I actually heard last year that he didn’t want to return to college because he didn’t want to recruit. He also was in some trouble around the time he left Oregon for paying off recruiting services. I think UF had to vet all of that out with the SEC to make sure he was ok to hire. I suppose the assistants do the bulk of the recruiting work anyway and he would only need to swoop in to seal the deal. Central Florida is so packed with prospects he won’t even need to leave the state.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Back at his level.  I hope they carry on losing.  His smugness really pisses me off.  

He wasn’t a bad nfl coach. He won 10 games in his first 2 seasons starting Foles, Sanchez, & Bradford.

what killed him is getting too much control, which makes me a little nervous about our current setup.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He wasn’t a bad nfl coach. He won 10 games in his first 2 seasons starting Foles, Sanchez, & Bradford.

what killed him is getting too much control, which makes me a little nervous about our current setup.

Nah he was a bad coach too.  He took over a very talented squad in Philly.... he won through talent, not coaching or scheme.  

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I actually heard last year that he didn’t want to return to college because he didn’t want to recruit. He also was in some trouble around the time he left Oregon for paying off recruiting services. I think UF had to vet all of that out with the SEC to make sure he was ok to hire. I suppose the assistants do the bulk of the recruiting work anyway and he would only need to swoop in to seal the deal. Central Florida is so packed with prospects he won’t even need to leave the state.

There's a crap load of talent there, but SO much competition for it.  Realistically, UCF and USF, despite their better play, aren't really a threat to pull too many recruits from the bigger schools, but it still leaves Florida State, Miami, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn and LSU all a very short distance from these players.  If the Gators are going to be competitive again, they're going to have to start getting more big prospects, and in order to do that they have to find a steady coach and stop turning over every few years.

As weird and ineffective as McElwain was, he was starting to recruit very well.  Gators had a great class going this year....probably going to take a big hit no matter who comes in.  At this point, I'll be surprised if it's Chip.  I just think he has too much baggage for a FL admin that has been burned too many times recently. 

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Nick Foles has 27 tds and 2 INTs under him. Nick Freakin’ Foles! Riley the racist had 8 tds.

im on board with a lot Gunner but Kelly is a really good offensive coach. 

He’d certainly be in some rich recruiting territory. A smart guy with options takes the one with a good chance at success. 

I have one son who’s a big Gator fan (maybe because his brother went to FSU?) so I know he’s be excited.  

Edited by Augie

3 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

No idea if that will hurt him but if he gets the athletes...look out

I don’t know if it will hurt at all, but I doubt it’s enough to keep him from doing very well. I lived in Florida for 18 years. My kids played against Manatee and Pahokee and the other schools feeding NFL teams. It’s funny how we remember the battles against the future NFL guys, and it was just another play for them. (But I suspect a certain CB for the Falcons remembers a spring game against my younger son. :)

OK, thinking back on the Florida kids....we played a team (Tampa Catholic?) and I was talking to a dad. They had a stud WR, a 5 star kind of WR. The dad told me “watch him, he’s the second fastest kid on the team”. He was talking about Chaz Green, OT.  He plays guard for the Cowboys now.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.