Maybe nothing really changed but turnovers...

TheFunPolice

32 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I would rather have a gunslinger at the helm, throwing the ball all over the place..........at least it makes the games enjoyable.

A "play safe" QB won't amount to much in todays NFL's passing systems and we are witnessing some really piss poor play this past few weeks Dare i even say that it is boring, lethargic and antic-climactic.........3 and outs allllllllllllllllllllll afternoon ain't gonna cut it.

Alex Smith has been very successful for the past 12 years playing exactly that way. With a good defense that is a recipe for success. I actually think that Taylor could be a more dynamic version of Alex Smith because of his ability with his legs. That's probably his ceiling. But I am also ok with that. 

My problem stems from the offensive coordinator. For one, I think his offense is inherently stagnant and antiquated. He also came in and injected that stale offense into a league leading power running game and a run pass option (RPO) spread attack that was poised to take another step forward in year 3 of that style of offense. Instead, he comes in and instead of adapting to the talent he forced his scheme on an offensive line that wasn't suited for it. 

I think Dennison was a really bad hire for McDermott. Hopefully he fires him when the season is over.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, did it now?  Did you enjoy watching Fitzpatrick?

First off, son..........if you're going to quote me, then quote the whole statement because everything is out of context with only a one-liner.

And second, although i hated Fitz, the guy had no problem slinging the ball around the field.........mind you, to mostly horrible results, but as a fan, you at least knew that he was trying to accomplish something.

I have no idea what in the hell TT is doing every week. All i see is one "hot read" and then a dump-off to Shady every play and you know what means?...........3 and outs allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll afternoon.

That's not exciting, man........it's boring as hell.

After 17 yrs. don't the fans deserve a little bit of exciting each week?

Edited by Sweats

37 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Disagree. Just because you only get one TO does not mean you give up 300 yards rushing. How does that make any sense?

Something happened in the locker room. Guys don't believe in the process anymore.

Agree. Something major has happened to this team over the last 2 weeks. I think the player's tolerated the Sammy trade but once Dareus left the motivation/ energy just died. I never thought we were as good as our 5-2 record, but I also never thought this team would be embarrassed like they have these last 2 games. That ridiculous TO rate was never sustainable. But the 1 positive note from the Saints rout was we got a quick and encouraging glimpse of NP....

Fitz had the mentality but his arm couldn't make the throws.

In fact, Fitzpatrick's great games where he would throw for 400 yards and 4 TD are a bit like the offense version of the D getting turnovers.

The guy would throw passes that had no business being completed... into triple coverage and somehow he would get the bounce off the DBs fingertips into the WRs hands or the WR would make a miracle catch. That's a lot like a defender crushing a WR and having the ball pop right into Milano's hands for an INT/fumble return for a TD.

It is Great and fun and you don't need to explain it away. It's a great football play! But it isn't something you can plan around. Ditto with Fitz and his reckless play. When it works it's great, and when it doesn't it is awful. High risk strategies usually fail (thus the name).

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Agree. Something major has happened to this team over the last 2 weeks. I think the player's tolerated the Sammy trade but once Dareus left the motivation/ energy just died. I never thought we were as good as our 5-2 record, but I also never thought this team would be embarrassed like they have these last 2 games. That ridiculous TO rate was never sustainable. But the 1 positive note from the Saints rout was we got a quick and encouraging glimpse of NP....

Can't 100% say for certain but someone I know who knows Dareus said he was extremely upset (hurt/sad not angry) and shocked to be traded and expressed that to friends on the team.

You can love a guy and not love his work ethic.

Edited by TheFunPolice

When they were getting all those TO's,  it wasn't a sustainable formula for winning. Once the parade of turnovers slowed, the wheels started to come off. You need to be able to stop the run and rush the passer. The Bills can't do either.

21 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Disagree. Just because you only get one TO does not mean you give up 300 yards rushing. How does that make any sense?

Something happened in the locker room. Guys don't believe in the process anymore.

I really think you’re on to something here.  Was just watching Steve Young and Charles Woodsen on MNF. They were discussing all the turmoil that has happened with the Dolphins this year , even Gase calling his offense garbage. However, the Dolphins are 4-4 despite all the things like losing their starting QB, a coach seen snorting coke, bringing Cutler in. Young and Woodsen both pointed out when the team is facing all this mess or adversity, it all depends on the leadership capabilties of the COACH to overcome and get your team playing up to their potential despite the issues. They both noted how the Dolphins players are playing with passion still , and the players have also given credit to the OWNER as being extremely supportive making sure they each have things they need to help develop a winning culture.  Young and Woodsen went on to say they do think there is a real change in culture with the Dolphins because of Gase ( remember ,this guy really called the players out and who thought after he called his offense garbage that with a win tonight they will be 5-4 as well) and his LEADERSHIP QUALITIES. 

MAYBE , this really does speak to what’s going on in the Bills locker room and McD,’s ability to connect with the team as a leader. When you have players saying they have no answers and they may end up 5-11 if this keeps going on, kyles statement of no energy the past two games, the terrible offense and play calling , no adjustment by the D to get pressure on the qb and having the ball run down their throat 24 straight plays yesterday ,  I think it’s a legit question about McD’s leadership ( perhaps even the owners interaction since it seems both the bills and sabres are struggling), and after after watching him look so passive on the sideline and then his shell shocked apppearance he had during the postgame interviews may speak to him being a rookie head coach in over his head right now.   He didn’t even appear to be angry about what had just happened.  I’m sure he is but his external appearance wouldn’t generate passion in my mind to want to play hard.  I can’t see someone like the pats coach or Gase being so passive and almost meek after those two ass kicking loses. How can you explain those lackluster performances and all we saw was passive behavior from the players and staff. It’s just a question or theory, but when two previous hof players say it really is about the coaching and leadership in truly changing a teams  “culture” , is this an early warning sign that McD’s constant talk about the process is not really a style that motivates passion and accountability in a team ?   Another game like the previous two and I think the Peter principle may be true with McD having risen to his level of incompetence.   I’m interested to see how the team reacts against the Chargers.  

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Here's a thought: maybe the only thing that has really changed over the past two weeks is that we aren't getting the turnovers anymore.

The running game has not been good all season. The passing game has not been good all season. The defense has given up yards all season. For all the talk of discipline and character, penalties have been a problem all season.

Think about it: this was hardly a proficient offense before the 2 game losing streak. How many times did we get a turnover, only to go 3 and out or settle for a FG?

How many times did a team drive, drive, drive, then fumble or throw a pick before they scored?

Tyrod is exactly the same QB  every week. I was shocked to see him throw for such a small amount of yardage this week, but if a couple penalties don't get called on some decent passing plays he's right around his typical 150-200 yard game. The guy is a model of consistency, for good and bad. He is who he is.

However, when the team is 5-2 the QB gets a lot of credit for it. You get the snarky questions: "How can you question the great job he's doing? Where are the Tyrod haterZ now?!" Well, he was just not messing up and not blowing games, and making a few plays here and there to win. that works when you are causing a couple fumbles a game (and recovering them). Not to mention scoring defensive TDs. The thing is, he's still doing exactly the same thing, only now he's getting the blame. Nothing has changed in his play, though.

Without the turnovers the defense is getting gassed. At least if you give up a 60 yard drive but cause a turnover you have some energy and you demoralize the other side. But when the other team finishes out that drive with a TD it's you who get demoralized. Then the offense does its normal pass, run, check down, punt routine and you're right back out there. Any defense will wear down, and there's no exciting plays to get them back.

What we're seeing is essentially the same offense and defense, minus timely turnovers and flukey plays. This is who they have been all along.

Can't like this post enough - I was hoping my engendered Bills-flavored skepticism would finally be wrong. I give them til November every year no matter what. And while I still hold optimistic hope for a turnaround, it's beginning to look more like it was the turnover differential. 

Our offense hasn't changed. Defense was the pleasant beneficiary of our +14 differential, and now without the ball bouncing our way 2-3 times a game, we're left with what the team actually is. I have yet to remember a time where I watched the Bills offense with confidence that we will do more than go three and out. And yet, I still hope they prove me wrong this year!

5 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Can't like this post enough - I was hoping my engendered Bills-flavored skepticism would finally be wrong. I give them til November every year no matter what. And while I still hold optimistic hope for a turnaround, it's beginning to look more like it was the turnover differential. 

Our offense hasn't changed. Defense was the pleasant beneficiary of our +14 differential, and now without the ball bouncing our way 2-3 times a game, we're left with what the team actually is. I have yet to remember a time where I watched the Bills offense with confidence that we will do more than go three and out. And yet, I still hope they prove me wrong this year!

Stopping the run and rushing the passer creates turnovers. We haven't done either well in 2 games. 

59 minutes ago, Sweats said:

First off, son..........if you're going to quote me, then quote the whole statement because everything is out of context with only a one-liner.

And second, although i hated Fitz, the guy had no problem slinging the ball around the field.........mind you, to mostly horrible results, but as a fan, you at least knew that he was trying to accomplish something.

I have no idea what in the hell TT is doing every week. All i see is one "hot read" and then a dump-off to Shady every play and you know what means?...........3 and outs allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll afternoon.

That's not exciting, man........it's boring as hell.

After 17 yrs. don't the fans deserve a little bit of exciting each week?

Winning is exciting. We've had 5 exciting games this year.

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Here's a thought: maybe the only thing that has really changed over the past two weeks is that we aren't getting the turnovers anymore.

The running game has not been good all season. The passing game has not been good all season. The defense has given up yards all season. For all the talk of discipline and character, penalties have been a problem all season.

Think about it: this was hardly a proficient offense before the 2 game losing streak. How many times did we get a turnover, only to go 3 and out or settle for a FG?

How many times did a team drive, drive, drive, then fumble or throw a pick before they scored?

Tyrod is exactly the same QB  every week. I was shocked to see him throw for such a small amount of yardage this week, but if a couple penalties don't get called on some decent passing plays he's right around his typical 150-200 yard game. The guy is a model of consistency, for good and bad. He is who he is.

However, when the team is 5-2 the QB gets a lot of credit for it. You get the snarky questions: "How can you question the great job he's doing? Where are the Tyrod haterZ now?!" Well, he was just not messing up and not blowing games, and making a few plays here and there to win. that works when you are causing a couple fumbles a game (and recovering them). Not to mention scoring defensive TDs. The thing is, he's still doing exactly the same thing, only now he's getting the blame. Nothing has changed in his play, though.

Without the turnovers the defense is getting gassed. At least if you give up a 60 yard drive but cause a turnover you have some energy and you demoralize the other side. But when the other team finishes out that drive with a TD it's you who get demoralized. Then the offense does its normal pass, run, check down, punt routine and you're right back out there. Any defense will wear down, and there's no exciting plays to get them back.

What we're seeing is essentially the same offense and defense, minus timely turnovers and flukey plays. This is who they have been all along.

I personally think the defense was playing better prior to the last two games. We weren't missing tackles before and now we are. We seemed to always be in the right position and now we have been out of place. If we had been bad at tackling all year then I would say that's how we really are. 

The thing is, someone who seems like a "meh" team with plenty of ups and downs is making it this year.

It won't be Oakland unless they beat NE, which also helps the "NE not running another SB" cause and gets them closer to us.

Miami is quitting.

The Ravens worry me, but hopefully the Packers can rally around Hundley this week. Outside of the Raiders and Ravens nobody else is even close to a threat.

Two DCs finally got off their behinds and watched the Tyrod tapes and realized how to completely ruin him out there.

Two more DCs who give a tinkers dam about their jobs could make this a laughable end to Tyrod's career.