For those calling for FO and coaching change

BuffaloBill

The Bills are unlikely to get better quickly with yet another front office and coaching change.  The NFLjust retreads coaches and coaching staffs.  The dismantling of the Bills roster is once again nothing more than a treadmill of change.  There has been a lot of activity and proclamations but no ground gained.

Each new regime coming in brings with it a supposedly different approach and philosophy.  High draft picks and high dollar players are dumped and eventually replaced.  The cycle breeds futility.  The best teams in the league identify their QB build around him and maintain some stabilty in GM and coaching.

It is way too early to call for yet another change in Buffalo.  The truth of the matter is that the Bills may be lucky enough to sneak into the playoffs in a really bad AFC this year.  If so, they will do so on an aged roster (by NFL standards) that still has a few bloated contracts on it.  The housecleaning will continue.  The first thing the Bills must do is find their QB of the future.  Until then the rest of the roster activity is simply running hard in place.

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

I would like the Pegulas to bring an experienced football executive with a proven track record to oversee the front office and serve as a "sanity check" on short-term and long-term strategic planning and execution.

I have been asking for this for YEARS.

If the stories are true, McBeane was headed for the GM spot in Carolina so arguably he is qualified.  The real question is whether the plan he an McD have set their path on is valid and will work.  Only time will tell.  We are in a rebuilding process.  One that had lipstick put on it with a set of early season wins.  You can’t expect this much roster change with a middling QB to result in an exceptional season.

I'm not calling for any Front Office or Coaching change (save for canning the proven failure we have coaching the oline which I know will not happen).  

They went this path they need to stay the course.  I like McDermott, I don't know much about Beane I am more lukewarm on him so far.  This next offseason will determine their success or failure.  

1) Can they find their Quarterback of the future?

2) Can they infuse the lines on both sides with youth, talent and energy?

If they can turn their current 8 picks into a QB and 2 or 3 difference makers in the trenches this regime will succeed.  If they can't this regime will fail.  

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I would like the Pegulas to bring an experienced football executive with a proven track record to oversee the front office and serve as a "sanity check" on short-term and long-term strategic planning and execution.

How many "experienced football executives" do you think exist? Much less would make a difference? Much much less willing to come to Buffalo?

The front office as currently constructed is just fine and has the potential to do great things. Be patient.

Just now, BuffaloBill said:

If the stories are true, McBeane was headed for the GM spot in Carolina so arguably he is qualified.  The real question is whether the plan he an McD have set their path on is valid and will work.  Only time will tell.  We are in a rebuilding process.  One that had lipstick put on it with a set of early season wins.  You can’t expect this much roster change with a middling QB to result in an exceptional season.

It's not about whether he is "qualified" it is about the margin for error.  If you're hiring a first time GM and HC in a billion-dollar industry, why not reduce your risk by having them report to an experienced sage?

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

How many "experienced football executives" do you think exist? Much less would make a difference? Much much less willing to come to Buffalo?

The front office as currently constructed is just fine and has the potential to do great things. Be patient.

This is when I know a poster has completely run out of actual argument - when I see the "they wouldn't come/re-sign here" line.

The Pegulas have made their bed and we must all lie in it. As they have with the Sabres.

They should have kept Whaley and let him hire is own head coach for once. But that train has left the station and here we are with Opie and the Beane, the smartest guys on the planet. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It's not about whether he is "qualified" it is about the margin for error.  If you're hiring a first time GM and HC in a billion-dollar industry, why not reduce your risk by having them report to an experienced sage?

This is when I know a poster has completely run out of actual argument - when I see the "they wouldn't come/re-sign here" line.

yeah...how is it working out for the Rams?

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/5/19/15663260/nfl-front-office-power-rankings-la-rams-les-snead

If this regime could not figure it out after the dreadful Jets game, with this sorry performance, they will be gone,

unfortunately, maybe not until after two or three years of more bad football.  It is rare to find a 31 year old coach

who has led the Rams out of the wilderness, but remember we beat the Rams last year, and look at where the two

teams are now.

The good thing is most sane Bills fans are not calling for Beane or McD to be fired. However those same sane fans absolutely are correct to not fully buy into the new buzzword “of Process”. 

And there rightfully should be accountability in terms of discussing the flawed roster they built this year.  

5 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

If this regime could not figure it out after the dreadful Jets game, with this sorry performance, they will be gone,

unfortunately, maybe not until after two or three years of more bad football.  It is rare to find a 31 year old coach

who has led the Rams out of the wilderness, but remember we beat the Rams last year, and look at where the two

teams are now.

A part of the Rams story is that they appear to have found their QB.  Have the Bills?  There are plenty of threads around here debating the answer to that question.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

A part of the Rams story is that they appear to have found their QB.  Have the Bills?  There are plenty of threads around here debating the answer to that question.

that Rams team is completely loaded with talent that they got from years and years of high draft picks. Goff, Austin, Gurley, Quinn, Donald, etc. They just needed a coach to put it together. We have Tyrod. A serviceable starter that has hit the wall. 

Although I do want a Modern NFL Offense not one built to play in 70s because they may have a bad weather game in Buffalo sometime 

3 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

that Rams team is completely loaded with talent that they got from years and years of high draft picks. Goff, Austin, Gurley, Quinn, Donald, etc. They just needed a coach to put it together. We have Tyrod. A serviceable starter that has hit the wall. 

And where is out young core of talented players from all out high picks???  Ooo thats right traded away or let walk just to draft in the SAME position 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This does not guarantee success.  Wilson tried with Donnahoe.   The Chargers tried with Beathard, and the list goes on and on.  The two mentioned were to the the smartest (supposedly}, at the time.

In all honesty.  I'd go for a change at QB well before I fired the coach or GM. 

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Amen brother!!! 

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The coach and GM and responsible for this ****ty roster. Not Tyrod Taylor. 

How can you say Tyrod’s shortcomings have not played into the building of this roster?  A run first offense that has to depend on a nearly perfect defensive game to win..... that has had no influence on the roster?  Do you think Brady’s presence in Cheatland has had any influence over the fact that the rest of their roster is not exactly loaded with HOF material and yet they continue to win?

The Tyrod apologists around here are really tiring.

18 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And where is out young core of talented players from all out high picks???  Ooo thats right traded away or let walk just to draft in the SAME position 

Touche, though we have never had consecutive top-ten draft picks. They've also had multiple first round picks. Sound familiar? 

Edited by BillsEnthusiast