Who's Voting Today..and For What?

plenzmd1

In VA, we have Governor, Lieutenant Governor and AG, plus state delegates. The ads from both sides have just been downright silly.

Having said that, two things that get to me on Election Day

1) Idiot newsreaders telling me to go vote like everyone is a 6-year-old and did not know it was election day.

2) My stupid reasoning that if I vote after like 2 PM, my vote will not mean as much..don't know why I think that, but I do. I will head over about 10 AM

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Anything in NY today?

NYC has the mayor's race.

Statewide, there is a proposal to have a Constitutional Convention.  The current NYS Constitution requires this referendum every 20 years. If it passes, a bunch of delegates would propose a new NYS Constitution and that would go up for a vote.  I don't think the proposal will pass.  Nobody trusts each other enough to even attempt such a thing.

I am

Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Justice.  

55 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

In VA, we have Governor, Lieutenant Governor and AG, plus state delegates. The ads from both sides have just been downright silly.

Having said that, two things that get to me on Election Day

1) Idiot newsreaders telling me to go vote like everyone is a 6-year-old and did not know it was election day.

2) My stupid reasoning that if I vote after like 2 PM, my vote will not mean as much..don't know why I think that, but I do. I will head over about 10 AM

People may flock to the polls IF they hear that their guy is down in the exit polling.  

I mostly vote after work on my way home. 

32 minutes ago, snafu said:

NYC has the mayor's race.

Statewide, there is a proposal to have a Constitutional Convention.  The current NYS Constitution requires this referendum every 20 years. If it passes, a bunch of delegates would propose a new NYS Constitution and that would go up for a vote.  I don't think the proposal will pass.  Nobody trusts each other enough to even attempt such a thing.

Lordy, i had no idea there was a mayoral race in NYC today. how did I miss that?

I don't vote, but as others have said here in NY it's all local elections plus yes/no on the Constitutional Convention.  Environmentalists and public employees are throwing fits about it, along with the "everything is too much money" crowd.  To be fair, changing the NYS Constitution is remarkably easy so I get where they're coming from.  Does seem like a huge waste of money.

Kathy Sheehan is going to run away with the mayoral race in Albany.  She sucks but sucks less than DeBlasio in NYC and Cuomo in the mansion.

We have a couple local races (one town board seat; town supervisor) that are pretty hotly contested and very important.  The Republican party in our town has become very dirty/borderline corrupt.  I voted for a Republican Town Supervisor for about a decade straight.  He went on to the NYS Assembly.  A Democrat took over for him and has done a fine job, so I'll be voting for him to remain the Supervisor.  His challenger is a woman (yes - and she'd be a yes for everyone) who openly supported Don.  I'll never get women who support him and I have to question the smarts of any woman who does.  Her campaign manager was also part of some very dirty politics (proven) and she never spoke out against him.  No thanks.

For the Town Board seat, the incumbent (R) is a pain killer addict (arrested multiple times for driving under the influence of prescription drugs) and I want him gone.  I like his challenger's experience and what she'll bring to the board, anyway, so she was gonna get my vote even if mini-Rush wasn't such a mess.

I'll be voting YES for the Constitutional Convention.  I agree that it's expensive, but I also believe that more good can (not necessarily will) come out of it than bad.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'll be voting YES for the Constitutional Convention.  I agree that it's expensive, but I also believe that more good can (not necessarily will) come out of it than bad.

I'm genuinely curious as to what you think that might be.  As I said above, it's insanely easy to change the NYS Constitution as is. 

1 hour ago, mead107 said:

Statewide, there is a proposal to have a Constitutional Convention

Con Con  another name for it

It could be very expensive

VOTE NO

22 minutes ago, Gugny said:

We have a couple local races (one town board seat; town supervisor) that are pretty hotly contested and very important.  The Republican party in our town has become very dirty/borderline corrupt.  I voted for a Republican Town Supervisor for about a decade straight.  He went on to the NYS Assembly.  A Democrat took over for him and has done a fine job, so I'll be voting for him to remain the Supervisor.  His challenger is a woman (yes - and she'd be a yes for everyone) who openly supported Don.  I'll never get women who support him and I have to question the smarts of any woman who does.  Her campaign manager was also part of some very dirty politics (proven) and she never spoke out against him.  No thanks.

For the Town Board seat, the incumbent (R) is a pain killer addict (arrested multiple times for driving under the influence of prescription drugs) and I want him gone.  I like his challenger's experience and what she'll bring to the board, anyway, so she was gonna get my vote even if mini-Rush wasn't such a mess.

18 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

+1

No to the Constitutional Convention

Every state/county/city employee (pretty much anyone in the NYS retirement system) that I know has been very vocal about voting against this Constitutional Convention.     They say that Cuomo just wants to take their retirement and spend it so that it goes bankrupt.   Then the retirement system will be forced to be redesigned and those who are living on that retirement will take a pay cut at some point.   I can see why state workers want everyone to vote no.

I have yet to hear the other side of the debate though.   Can anyone tell me what the proposed benefits are supposed to be if the Constitional Convention is voted yes on?

Seems that these people who want everyone to vote NO are so worked up about it, that there has to be something there.   Anybody?

Edited by PolishDave

2 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Every state/county/city employee (pretty much anyone in the NYS retirement system) that I know has been very vocal about voting against this Constitutional Convention.     They say that Cuomo just wants to take their retirement and spend it so that it goes bankrupt.   Then the retirement system will be forced to be redesigned and those who are living on that retirement will take a pay cut at some point.   I can see why state workers want everyone to vote no.

I have yet to hear the other side of the debate though.   Can anyone tell me what the proposed benefits are supposed to be if the Constitional Convention is voted yes on?

Seems that these people who want everyone to vote NO are so worked up about it, that there has to be something there.   Anybody?

FYI, Cuomo came out yesterday and said that he has decided to vote no on the measure.  Said that he was concerned about how delegates could be selected or something, which to me read as "I'm not sure this would benefit me."

Though Cuomo voting no could be a compelling reason to vote yes :lol:

I saw a funny one on the drive to work this morning.  There's a mayor race in my town.  A guy was standing on the median of the road with a "vote for so-and-so for mayor" sign.  The funny part was that he was actually in the next town over.  Sure, you'll still get a good number of our residents driving through, but I can't help but think he could have picked a better spot.

edit: And I should add that where he was standing, only people drivin away from the appropriate polling place would see him. 

Edited by shrader

1 hour ago, PolishDave said:

The only arguments I've heard for a "yes" vote for the Constitutional Convention are (in no particular order -- and with no editorializing from me):

(a) the current Constitution is too long and wordy and very difficult to understand

(b) the NYS Court system is Byzantine and ripe for cronyism

(c) more than 70% of the State is registered Democrat, and yet because of gerrymandering, the State Senate is Republican

(d) the State Government controls too much power and currently there's not enough "home rule"

I had to look for those reasons.  There's been absolutely no vocal support for a "yes" vote.  All I see downstate are signs and bumper stickers saying "vote no".  Half are union-based.  The other half say 'taxes are too high already'.  Seems like both sides of the fence don't want to see this happen.

Edited by snafu

1 hour ago, PolishDave said:

this is exactly what i've heard as well dave.  my wife works for the school system, so they're really pushing people to vote on the CC in fear that their pensions will be messed with.  other than that, i have zero idea about the pros and cons.  for the most part, i've seen the convention painted as a waste of money.