How rookie Sean McDermott got Bills to 'win and win fast'

During the last 17 years we've watched many teams make remarkable turnarounds going from terrible to the playoffs in just one year. And we all have said how are these teams doing this but Buffalo continues to be stuck in neutral?

The answer was always simple, the right HC and GM combination. Sure a franchise QB can also help accelerate the process but it's not everything. But in the case of the Bills they appear to have finally found the answers that have eluded them for so many years.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great read thanks for posting.

Its hard not to get behind whats going on in Buffalo. No more looking back just look forward and enjoy it.

Excellent article. Thanks for sharing.

NP fellas.

As McD has said post games, lets enjoy it today then work on the next game.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

With guys like Rodak starting to write these kind of stories about Buffalo it tells me that what I am watching is real. More important than what I am watching is real, is that what I am watching this year is different. in the past 17 years Buffalo has been here before. We have had fast starts before. Than out of nowhere all the issues that were apparent all year show up the remainder of the year. This team is not making dumb penalties, or prone to turnovers. One side of the ball is not hiding glaring weaknesses of the other unit. They are playing together, playing as a team. The units are picking up the other right when they team needs it.

The Bucs game. Buffalo blows a 4th quarter lead. Our best corner gets beat for what looked like a game winning Td with a little over 3 mins left. He was right with him but it was 5-11 on 6-5 and that reach was the difference. 3 plays later the offense tied it up. I wasn't their and haven't been to a home game in years. My observation from my office computer at work was that was the most electric I have seen the stadium in years. Tied game plenty of time for Winston and the offense who shredded them through the air the whole second half. The first play of the drive the game goes full circle. The prized rookie who just got beat not only punches the ball out also recovers. That was a team win that has not been seen in these parts for years. Multiple places for the Bills to fold. instead they took the game back that they seemingly gave away like they have for many years.

Tonight I do not have the same nervousness that I have had in years past. On paper Buffalo is better. On the field Buffalo is better. Buffalo is executing better, Buffalo is also more consistent. Short week easy to lose focus to a tougher than realized rival, the difference is Buffalo was injected with a solid dose of excitement Tuesday. Say what you want but players notice what has happened since training camp. The first 2 trades brought better teammates good players but not special talents. Last week they got rid of Daures another talent but high paid and not fulfilling is potential. Instead of selling they bought some talent and brought in a massive upgrade at Wr. 6-5 245 and supremely talented helps. Fits what the team needs. As a running ball control offense you need to score TDs and pick up 3rd downs Benjamin does those well.

Great comments. Only, don't put the Jets game in the win column, not yet. NO games are easy in the NFL. The Jets will be ready.

I think we can all agree that hiring Rex was a mistake, but in the long run, it led to McD being our HC. (I don't think he was a candidate when they hired Rex.)

When Rex was fired, a lot of people said that he set the franchise back 5 years. At the time that seemed true, but in retrospect, I'm becoming more convinced that the Bills are in a better position now than they would have been with any of the other coaches who were available back then.

Great article, thanks for posting it. Cant help but be fired up for tonights game after reading that!

I liked the last paragraph.

"But we’re still building. We’re not there. People need to understand that. The Buffalo Bills have not arrived. We still have a long way to go to get where we want to get. We’ll continue to build this thing.”

What's odd I didn't see any snark towards the Bills....

maybe it was a ghost writer.

I think we can all agree that hiring Rex was a mistake, but in the long run, it led to McD being our HC. (I don't think he was a candidate when they hired Rex.)

When Rex was fired, a lot of people said that he set the franchise back 5 years. At the time that seemed true, but in retrospect, I'm becoming more convinced that the Bills are in a better position now than they would have been with any of the other coaches who were available back then.

It was. But then ... It worked to our benefit so far.

Sean McDermott is a football coach guys. A proper football coach. He understands leadership. He was my #1 choice... I thought he should have got a job the year before and probably would have had the Panthers not kept rolling all the way to the Superbowl. My last two choices when we had head coach vacancies were Lovie Smith in 2013 and Hue Jackson in 2015...... hindsight tells me we were probably right to stay away from those two. I hope it also tells me the Bills were right to go with Sean McDermott.

He was my #1 choice too, from the minute I seen him on the Bills interview list.

I know I've said this multiple times, but I've been a fan of McD's for years. Since about half way through the 2012 season, and then 2013 just cemented it for me. I was amazed at the jump that defense made from 2011 to 2012 to 2013. And what I loved is how he did it with what was considered to be numerous no name players at the time (especially in the secondary). I mean, don't get me wrong that defense definitely had some talent, but many were not necessarily looked at that way at the time. Even Luke Kuechly was seen as a reach at the time he was drafted. Josh Norman was just some 5th round pick that people didn't expect much of anything from.

IMO he helped develop those players into what they are today.

I remember reading stories about him from many years ago, when he was still in Philly. How Andy Reid took a special interest in him and thought he was going to be something special someday. Reid is one of my all time favorites, so when I heard him say that about McDermott it peaked my interest.

We are lucky Carolina went to that Super Bowl in 2015, because I guess Philly really wanted McDermott. The were dead set on hiring an Andy Reid guy and McD was their #1 choice (from what I read). I guess they decided not to wait and hired another Reid guy - Doug Peterson - instead. It seems to have worked out for them. Andy Reid's coaching tree is looking pretty good right now....

At the beginning of the year, I was basically in watch, see, and evaluate mode. The first few games, I didn't get as hyped as I usually do. I didn't feel as much anxiety, excitement, or anger as in years past, mostly because I didn't expect anything from them.

Of course that all went out the window as Milano ran down the sideline for a TD. Now I'm anxious as hell and am counting down the minutes to kick off tonight. I still don't expect them to win the SB this year or anything crazy like that, but I do feel really good about this staff so far. I like how McDermott seems to work so well with the players. Seems like a great leader.

Kudo's to Rodak ....

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/29802/how-rookie-coach-sean-mcdermott-got-bills-to-win-and-win-fast

as Wood approached his 31st birthday this past March and entered the final season of his contract, he wondered whether he should play beyond 2017 for a franchise immersed in a 17-season playoff drought.

Wood's agents traveled to the scouting combine in Indianapolis in February to relay his concerns about another rebuilding project to Bills management, including McDermott. The next morning, Wood received a call from his new coach. Not knowing what to expect, Wood thought maybe he was getting cut.

"I appreciate you wondering," McDermott instead told Wood of his approach. "We are absolutely not rebuilding. We’re going to win and win fast."

click to read much more

Thanks for sharing. That was a great read. I can't believe Rodak wrote it... lol.

I'm trying not to get too excited about this team but it's hard. I truly believe we are in good hands for the future, I just didn't expect them to win so much this season with so many perceived holes on the roster. I thought it would take more time. It was midway through year 2 before McD had Carolina's defense playing very good, and then year 3 they really made that leap to top 3 defense in the NFL. I was expecting something similar here...

In typical Bills fan fashion, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and our lack of (perceived) talent to catch up to us. We have some tough games coming up on the schedule. Hopefully that doesn't happen... Originally, my hopes were not high for this season. But now that has changed pretty drastically. Tonight is an important game, though. A win would go a long way...

Thanks for sharing. That was a great read. I can't believe Rodak wrote it... lol.

I'm trying not to get too excited about this team but it's hard. I truly believe we are in good hands for the future, I just didn't expect them to win so much this season with so many perceived holes on the roster. I thought it would take more time. It was midway through year 2 before McD had Carolina's defense playing very good, and then year 3 they really made that leap to top 3 defense in the NFL. I was expecting something similar here...

In typical Bills fan fashion, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and our lack of (perceived) talent to catch up to us. We have some tough games coming up on the schedule. Hopefully that doesn't happen... Originally, my hopes were not high for this season. But now that has changed pretty drastically. Tonight is an important game, though. A win would go a long way...

Rare, well written, positive article. Thanks OP

again thanks and my pleasure.

I'm excited and nervous at the same time.