D&C's Roth: Dareus Sacked Himself

....pretty interesting read.................

D&C's Roth: Dareus Sacked Himself

The Buffalo Bills 2017 media guide tells us that the best advice Marcell Dareus ever received was gleaned from a quote attributed to the great American distance runner Steve Prefontaine: “To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.’’

There is no doubt that at one point in Dareus’ life he followed this advice to the letter.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/columnist/roth/2017/10/28/buffalo-bills-marcell-dareus-trade/809378001/

Smart move. If you don't want to produce, we'll find someone who does. There's always the human element that makes football difficult but like any organization or company, if you're not doing your job we need to find someone who will.

Edited by JinxedBill1

Dont like what they got back but understand why he was dumped. Good article

....considering his recent body of work or lack thereof, what would you have expected in return?.....someone else posted the absurdity of at least a 1st for a two time Pro-Bowler....

The desire to perform left him when he signed his name and was guaranteed 60 million.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Dareus goes to J’ville and has a good second half to the season. I will be surprised if next season he shows any fire.

Not a bad article. It's certainly attempting to be relatively even handed about it.

Personally, I'm not convinced it was a good move. I'm not sure the immediate savings are worth creating the hole, when it would appear that Dareus was 'getting on board'. While we might be ok for this season, with Kyle still performing, we are certainly going to have to address DT in FA or the draft next year.

'My way, or the highway' appears to be the stance of the GM/HC, and while it's not necessarily a bad thing, it's going to require an awful lot of good luck when drafting, for it to succeed.

A concern, for me, going forward, is that to be a truly good HC, or GM, you have to be able to deal with talented people, who may not necessarily conform to everything you want them to do, or say. Especially if you are the guys that drafted them in the first place. Jury is going to be out on that one.

....considering his recent body of work or lack thereof, what would you have expected in return?.....someone else posted the absurdity of at least a 1st for a two time Pro-Bowler....

Some people think the Bills should be able fleece any team in any trade for some reason.

I get the frustration. Dareus cost the Bills a 3rd overall, millions and millions of dollars, and since it didn't help net a title in the process, his tenure as a Bill was an overall failure. People were probably hoping for more than a 6th/5th to help ease that frustration.

The fact that the Bills are shedding some money off the books by trading him is a win in and of itself, since all that money was only good for 8 tackles and a sack this year. Same thing when the Bills released Mario... addition by subtraction.

There's 31 other teams. The Jags certainly weren't the only team that had been in talks with the Bills about Dareus. If any of those teams had offered a deal better than the Jags offer, the Bills would have taken it, but there clearly wasn't one. Given the contract, the Bills had no leverage in talks. I don't understand how anyone could think that they could or should have gotten more. Teams don't pay for what a player did 3 & 4 years ago. They lay for what they're doing now and how they think they will in the future. Right now, Mr. 2X Pro-Bowler has 8 tackles and a sack, and exhibits very little effort on the field. The Jags taking on that contract is dumb enough. Tossing out a 1st rounder for that contract and that play would be insane.