Bills Claim CB Lafayette Pitts; Waive CB Tony McRae

Waived Tony McRae who was just acquired Monday. Pitts is a bit bigger a fair amount faster and spent time with Miami, though just waived by Jacksonville. He also played his college ball at a bigger school. Perhaps a bit of insight into Miami's defense

From College

Lafayette Pitts, CB, Pittsburgh

Four-year starters at cornerback are rare, but Pitts (5-11, 195) is poised to earn that moniker going into his senior season. He might be average in stature, but the NFL requires toughness and attitude at the cornerback position -- and Pitts has plenty of both. Mark him down as a third-round pick (or higher) if he continues to improve in his discipline and playmaking ability in coverage as he did from his sophomore to junior years.

This is crazy. Do all teams act like the Bills are this season? Rex was certainly no genius on the waiver wires so I didn’t notice if this has become commonplace League wide. If not, the Bills are probably getting a bad name with fringe players, no?

Bye, Felicia MacRae

This is crazy. Do all teams act like the Bills are this season? Rex was certainly no genius on the waiver wires so I didn’t notice if this has become commonplace League wide. If not, the Bills are probably getting a bad name with fringe players, no?

Bye, Felicia MacRae

Getting a bad name with fringe players?? Oh no! Anything but that!!

NFLPA, if it cared about all players not just drug users and women beaters, would negotiate a minimum amount for any free agent signed/cut within a week.

Whatever, dude.

I say keep kicking the tires on these fringe players. At the very least you are giving them a shot. Show and prove and you earn a roster spot...if not, bring in the next guy.

Getting a bad name with fringe players?? Oh no! Anything but that!!

Yeah, kidding -sort of. It’s just crazy. It’s gotta be disconcerting to the players though, to be used to welcoming new guys in mid season and doing everything they can to bring the guy up quick while helping them get adjusted off work just to see the guy dumped a couple days later.

Bye, Felicia MacRae

Tuesdays are meat market days in the NFL. Many teams kick the tires on street FAs who can either help immediately or down the road.

McBean seem like they're being aggressive on this, but in reality the past few OBD regimes were probably not active enough...

Tuesdays are meat market days in the NFL. Many teams kick the tires on street FAs who can either help immediately or down the road.

McBean seem like they're being aggressive on this, but in reality the past few OBD regimes were probably not active enough...

Yep. Plus, two things. First, we knew for sure we needed at least one new CB immediately. McRae was the best available in their opinion and they needed to get him in right away. One day later a guy they think maybe slightly better is waived and then he has to wait 24 hours to be awarded. They put in the claim not knowing if they would get him or not. They are about maybe 25 on the waiver wire now. And second, sometimes all they have on these guys is a bunch of film and a grade from scouts. They get them into practice and in 48 hours they decide he's not a good fit or he doesn't pay attention enough to detail or he's lost a step or whatever, and they lose interest fast.

I has thought today was Thursday until lunch. And reading this earlier thought it was Tuesday since. I need more sleep.

This is crazy. Do all teams act like the Bills are this season? Rex was certainly no genius on the waiver wires so I didnt notice if this has become commonplace League wide. If not, the Bills are probably getting a bad name with fringe players, no?

Bye, Felicia MacRae

I am on phone and cantvteaerach right now, but google Pete Carrol plat transactions first two years with Seattle. Something like 250 transaction EACH year, so 500 in two years.

This reminds me of that.

NFLPA, if it cared about all players not just drug users and women beaters, would negotiate a minimum amount for any free agent signed/cut within a week.

That's their agents job. Not the NFLPA. Their job is to take care of the drug users and women beaters to be sure they can stay in a position to fight the NFL.

Bye, Felicia MacRae

Rex was not in charge of waiver wire. He had influence but did not make call.