Next year...

Domdab99

the Bills are feeling their way this way..discovering that, yes, they can won now. Will they make the playoffs? Possibly, but a lot is going to have to go the right way, with a talent deficiency at WR and the injury bug hitting TE, LB, and the defensive backfield.

Next year, though.

If the Bills can get a top WR in the draft, assuming Zay Jones wakes up and can become a steady slot, this position can go from a deficiency to a plus real quick. Especially if we keep Mathews as a No. 2.

The draft will also be a likely place for a high pick going to CB. Let's get another stud opposite White and think about keeping Gaines, Johnson and Wright for back up.

Tyrod is out QB and I'm fine with that. Unless we have a top 3 pick, I'm not interested in drafting a QB next year...I especially don't want to trade up for one. Let's use all those picks for the Bills - use the NE plan and draft a bunch of guys.

McD has already shown how well he can do with nobodies playing key positions: Deonte, Ryan Davis, Vilano....obviously, someone will also surprise next year.

The Bills have a real chance to be a juggernaut next year. I'm just going to enjoy this year, no matter what comes, and keep thinking...next year we will be a real force and an elite team. It's not a gimme, obviously, but there is no reason why it can't happen - especially with the winning attitude this team now has.

The NE plan of drafting a bunch of guys only works (depending on who you ask) because they dont have to worry about QB. We still need to look into drafting a QB with one of our top picks next year. Im fine with Tyrod as our stop gap but we shouldnt be content with him and shouldnt keep putting off drafting a potential upgrade.

Aside from QB our immediate needs remain LB, CB, o-line, DL and depth at WR (assuming Zay gets it together and we keep Mathews) and safety

Edited by Bangarang

Lets not forget about the right side of the Oline. They may be able to get a guard or RT in free agency since it wouldnt be a huge signing. If not they will need to put that on the list for the draft.

I'm thinking they might get a kid that can play G/C on day 3, then you can put Groy at one G, and Dawkins and Glenn at the tackles. Richie still has a couple good years left.

I'm always interested in drafting a QB.

Tyrod can be improved and he probably needs to be improved for us to qualify for the playoffs, or even more importantly, win a playoff game.

When the weather turns cold, everyone is playing for keeps, and the only teams left playing are the best teams, you are going to find yourself in a situation where you will not win unless your QB can consistently and reliably move the ball down the field and score touchdowns.

Tyrod has trouble doing that, particularly reliably.

His ceiling is "cusp of the playoffs". Not good enough.

No need to turn this into another Tyrod thread, but the QB position remains the most important position on the team and it is a position that needs improving, as much as Tyrod has probably exceeded [admittedly low] expectations.

Here we go again with this impractical idea. That is not the way to develop a QBs at the NFL level with limited practice in OTAs, minicamps, training camp, etc.

That's why I hope the madness finally ends and they know what one actually looks like. Someone in Philly sure knew what they were looking at

If Jim McMahon, Joe Namath, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Jeff Hoesteler, Eli Manning, and Joe Flacco can win Super Bowls, so can Tyrod.

I am sure I could make the drive from Miami to Anchorage using a moped, but so will try to find a reliable Toyota Landcruiser Edited by offyourocker

You didn't get the point of this thread, did you?

I get that this discussion will be a good one in the off season. I get that the team is made up of nobodies and a HC that seems to get the best out of them. I also get that with 10 games remaining in the season I will hold off looking to next year and what they do in the draft, until this off season.

miss anything?

I'm onto Oakland. (with 10 more games to follow)

I also get this.

I also get that if you want to look that far ahead, it is your prerogative.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

Aside from QB our immediate needs remain LB, CB, o-line, DL and depth at WR (assuming Zay gets it together and we keep Mathews) and safety

I don't even think it's a question of depth at receiver. Both Jones (rejuvenated) and Matthews (healthy) are natural number-twos and/or slot receivers. The Bills need a real One......

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

QB is always a need. The 2018 QB be class is starting to look like a pretty average one and if Tyrod gets us to the playoffs, I think that becomes much less of an immediate need in the organization's eyes.

RB is a need but you can get great RB's late in the draft and you can find them for not too much sometimes in free agency. I would still love to get a young guy who can be a serious threat when Shady needs a breather and to be the number 1 guy in the future.

The right side of the line needs to be addressed. If Glenn is staying, then we are going to need to find a place for Dawkins on the right side for the time being. I think we should possibly move Dawkins to right tackle and try to find the best RG in free agency who can take some of the pressure off him. Guards in free agency are much less expensive than tackles and it would be really nice to place a talented vet right in there. We would be solid LT-RG and have a potential good RT in Dawkins.

WR is obviously a need but we'll see if Thompson can lessen that need a little bit. Still have to target WR in the draft this year. Obviously re-signing Matthews is huge.

Adding depth to the corner position is a need. I would really love to re-sign Gaines. With the way our safeties are playing and White, we would seem to have a fantastic foundation for the secondary in those 3 players for years to come.

If you can find a pass rusher to spell Hughes and Lawson with a high ceiling that would be great.

Linebacker is a huge need. Alexander isn't getting younger and we had a small sample size with Humber. Preston Brown is not great I really think what could put this defense over the top next season is a dominant LB.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

So they drafted Peterman this year, how's he working out?? Jet's drafted one 3 out of 4 years, did it work for them? That's the problem with this ridiculous idea that keeps coming up of drafting one every year. You never have any time to develop anyone to know if they are any good. I've read the backup QB (#2 guy) gets like 6 snaps each week with the first team#3, probably none. Even in the off season, with the limited rules backups get limited snaps.

The problem too with QB's is very few are worth the money they are paid. IMO the only ones truly worth what they are being paid are; Brady Rodgers, Brees, and Big Ben. There are another few that are close to being worth the money; Ryan, Stafford, Palmer, Rivers and maybe Luck and Wilson. That's 10 out of 32

There are probably 5 or 6 that look like they could become the next real deal, but likely by the time they do become great, I'd estimate 5 of the 10 on my great list may be retired.

Then there are another 10 to 15 tears that have guys that are paid like elite QB's but don't play like one, but eat up so much of the salary cap you can't afford to put a great team around him, but they aren't good enough themselves to carry the team very far. Flacco, Dalton, Tannerhill, Manning, Newton,

You have a few guys who win while on their rookie (cheap) contract, but once they start making the big bucks, they need to cut a few other very good players and the team does OK, may win a wild card game, but not good enough to go far (see Wilson and Cam)

So my point is you don't just need a franchise QB, you need one of those half dozen in the first list. Your only other option is to win real fast as once the middle of the road guy hits that 2nd contract, you can't sign enough good players around him.

I would like to see Peterman possibly next year or the year after, let him learn for a year or two first, maybe he is the answer. Or maybe not. But likely there is as much chance of him being the next Tom Brady as there is of him being the next Ryan Leaf.

So all this talk of needing improved QB play, while I don't disagree, it's much much harder than people make it out to be.

They need to draft 1 qb (if not 2) every single year until they find one....

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

Dont forget DT.

There are so many needs but no team has pro-bowlers at every position. What we need is for the draft to bring good value regardless of the needs. Six picks in the the first 3 rounds.... If they nail six very good players I dont care about the position they play. Use free agency or trades to collect the missing pieces.

Once Jones gets his feet under him this years draft class will look like a great building block!

OP i'm sorry but if this franchise ignores the QB position again after having the most picks of any draft in the drought era they will set the team back another 5 years

Beane needs to draft the franchise guy next year.

May be hard to draft a franchise QB considering our 2 first round picks could be late, and the crapy team so far need a QB worse than us. Giving away the farm to get a QB who is only OK will set the Bills the 5 years for sure.

6 current starters are unrestricted free agents and 5 others are contributors.

I'm onto Oakland. (with 10 more games to follow)

Agreed.

I don't get the rush to look forward to the off-season and next season when we've: only played 6 games, played reasonably well and have a winning record.

The season should be the best part of the football year, not the off-season.

Right now I'm loving it and I'll worry about the off season when we get there. My opinion of the team and its players is likely to be different at that point than it is now for better or worse.

Go Bills!

Great idea, can you give us the name of the guy who's guaranteed to be great?

Maybe an Andy Dalton, Joe Flacco, or a Ryan Tannerhill clone??

OP i'm sorry but if this franchise ignores the QB position again after having the most picks of any draft in the drought era they will set the team back another 5 years

Beane needs to draft the franchise guy next year.