Drought will end: Taylor is here to stay.......for now

Mikie2times

Yea. Houston has their QB.

Maybe. Five or six games is simply too small a sample size to decide whether a QB is the real deal or a dud. Remember RG III's brilliance as a rookie or Colin Kaepernick and Brock Osweiler as first year starters? After five or six games, they all looked like keepers, too.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe. Five or six games is simply too small a sample size to decide whether a QB is the real deal or a dud. Remember RG III's brilliance as a rookie or Colin Kaepernick and Brock Osweiler as first year starters? After five or six games, they all looked like keepers, too.

Houston is not going to invest a first round pick next year on a QB again. Especially with the potential of Watson.

But yes you are right saying it is to early to anoint a QB good or bad after a few games

Oops sorry my bad

Oh no worries at all sir

I don't think we can afford to keep kicking the can. I'm not a Tyrod hater but realistically we're going to have to upgrade the QB position (or try to) at some point. I don't see an issue with a top round QB sitting on our bench.

enough waiting, 2018 is the time to do it with extra picks Edited by xRUSHx

Brock Osweiler NEVER looked like a keeper. Never. He always sucked. He sucked so bad a 39 year old with no arm who was basically an on field offensive coordinator who couldn't play any more got the job back. And that was Brock's 4th year.

Kaepernick didn't start his rookie year either. It was year two he won the job when Smith went down. I have said elsewhere he is the best example for people doubtin Watson to point to but Kaepernick was playing in the Greg Roman hide the Quarterback offense. Watson is the guy moving the chains for Houston.

RGIII is the one of those 3 who did have big success his rookie year. His problem along with the injury was between the ears. Deshaun Watson will never become RGIII. Too mature, too hard working and too coachable.

I agree.

The running QB gimmick works only for so long, teams know injury risks are much, much higher when your QB leaves the line that protects him.

The running QB gimmick?

Did those look like running QB gimmick plays?

So how long does that "gimmick" last?

35 games in and the "gimmick" looks to be working as well as game 1 :flirt:

Taylor's actually improving as a passer. I know that's a shocker, but he is.

One example he's been so heavily criticized for:

Average yards to go on 3rd down by QB this year:

DeShone Kizer: 9.3

Tyrod Taylor: 8.6

Jay Cutler: 8.0

Matt Stafford: 8.0

Carson Palmer: 7.7

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFL&rank=098&type=Passing&year=

Despite this, Taylor is currently top 10 in 3rd down conversion %.

Amazing! Give a QB real game reps and with time he gets better.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

The difference between last year and this year is the defense. As long as this defense plays bend-but-don't-break but don't give up the points, this limited offense does have a chance to get into the playoffs.

I think you are missing Phillip Rivers. He is an elite QB in the AFC along with Brady, BigBen and Alex Smith. May be David Carr is also at a higher level than Tyrod. Everyone else is worse or at the same level as Tyrod.

enough waiting, 2018 is the time to do it with extra picks

2018 is NOT necessarily "the time to do it" if the top QB prospects suck! :doh: It could happen since there's no rule that says that there has to be a great QB in every draft class. Drafting the best of a poor lot only gets you an expensive bust. The Bills already tried that in 2013 with Manuel ... which prevented them from even looking at Carr or Bridgewater.

The difference between last year and this year is the defense. As long as this defense plays bend-but-don't-break but don't give up the points, this limited offense does have a chance to get into the playoffs.

I think you are missing Phillip Rivers. He is an elite QB in the AFC along with Brady, BigBen and Alex Smith. May be David Carr is also at a higher level than Tyrod. Everyone else is worse or at the same level as Tyrod.

I used to think Rivers was elite, too, but I've changed my mind in the last few years. He's a very good QB but he needs a lot of support to carry him more than he can carry his team. He's never come up big when the Chargers needed him to do so, not early on when the team was making the playoffs every year nor later when the team was less talented but still capable. More recently, he seemed to be a significant part of the reason why they were having losing seasons. He seems to always find ways to lose games whereas guys like Rodgers, Brees, and Brady find ways to win them.

2018 is NOT necessarily "the time to do it" if the top QB prospects suck! :doh: It could happen since there's no rule that says that there has to be a great QB in every draft class. Drafting the best of a poor lot only gets you an expensive bust. The Bills already tried that in 2013 with Manuel ... which prevented them from even looking at Carr or Bridgewater.

Which is exactly what was said last year. There is always an excuse to wait.... eventually you have to get of the pot and take a shot. They should have done it in the 2017 draft in my opinion and I said that all spring. I thought that QB class was much better than the talking heads did. i haven't firmed up my view on the 2018 class yet, but all the talk about there being 6 or 7 potential 1st rounders has disappeared. There are maximum 4 in my opinion and Darnold looks like he is leaning towards staying in school, which would leave 3.

I used to think Rivers was elite, too, but I've changed my mind in the last few years. He's a very good QB but he needs a lot of support to carry him more than he can carry his team. He's never come up big when the Chargers needed him to do so, not early on when the team was making the playoffs every year nor later when the team was less talented but still capable. More recently, he seemed to be a significant part of the reason why they were having losing seasons. He seems to always find ways to lose games whereas guys like Rodgers, Brees, and Brady find ways to win them.

Rivers is not close to being elite any more. He has not won more than 9 games in a season since 2009 and he wont this year, either. Thats a very long time. Hes not a franchise qb.

I will say this - we do need to add some weapons in the passing game. Look at the Wentz and Goff jumps from year 1 to year 2... is it a coincidence? Or is it Jeffery, Smith, Woods, Watkins, Kupp...

It also depends who's available at QB in free agency... if there aren't any other options you almost have to bring him back.

Hoyer and Glennon are sure to be available. It sounds like Cousins will be available for a massive deal. Jimmy Garrappolo is a wildcard. Brees is a free agent, but he'll likely re-sign. Bradford seems likely to be available. Case keenum... Not exactly Joe Montana, and none are guaranteed to sign with us.

The draft is like a month after free agency, and you don't want to go into the draft without a QB. Especially since we probably don't pick in the top 10.

Rivers is not close to being elite any more. He has not won more than 9 games in a season since 2009 and he wont this year, either. Thats a very long time. Hes not a franchise qb.

I still think he is a franchise QB. I don't think he is an elite QB, or ever was an elite QB come to think of that. I think he was pretty close in his prime. There has been a lot wrong with the Chargers the past 6 years or so. The one thing that has often not been wrong is Philip Rivers. He did have a bad 2016 season though and hasn't started this year too hot so maybe he has fallen off that ledge.

Which is exactly what was said last year. There is always an excuse to wait.... eventually you have to get of the pot and take a shot. They should have done it in the 2017 draft in my opinion and I said that all spring. I thought that QB class was much better than the talking heads did. i haven't firmed up my view on the 2018 class yet, but all the talk about there being 6 or 7 potential 1st rounders has disappeared. There are maximum 4 in my opinion and Darnold looks like he is leaning towards staying in school, which would leave 3.

Hope Darnold is getting good advice and stays. Doesn't look ready at all. Rudolph and Mayfield seem to show the most Potential with Mayfield being the chancier option. That being said, down by 4, with the game on the line and 2 minutes left, Mayfield would be my choice.

The playoff drought doesn't really mean that much to me. I want an exciting team first and foremost, which we get from Tyrod and Shady, lost some with Sammy leaving. Wish we had a dynamic kick returner like Roscoe or Percy.

My second priority is a championship type team, which we don't have. Getting a wildcard bid and losing in the first round of the playoffs like the Bengals do every year isn't really a big thing for me. It's one more week on the season to get excited about and then you realize you don't have a qb good enough to win it for you.

I hope we get to see Peterman at some point this year, just to get an idea of what we have. The same goes for continuing Dawkins play to evaluate what kind of lineman we have there. The biggest draft for this team in decades is coming up and we need to go into this offseason with some more data on these guys. Logan Thomas? Milano?

I'm hopeful for the drought to end just so the stupid conversation ends, but I just don't see us winning on the road in a playoff game with our passing game being so anemic. Its basically midseason and we're signing receivers off the couch and starting them the same week, and we're one shady injury away from doing the same thing with running backs. Beane did not forsee us making a run here or we'd still have Sammy, he really was affordable for one more year.

I still love watching the Bills, but we need to get the QB of the future, and hit on some draft picks this spring. That's the key to having a dynasty here.

The playoff drought doesn't really mean that much to me. I want an exciting team first and foremost, which we get from Tyrod and Shady, lost some with Sammy leaving. Wish we had a dynamic kick returner like Roscoe or Percy.

My second priority is a championship type team, which we don't have. Getting a wildcard bid and losing in the first round of the playoffs like the Bengals do every year isn't really a big thing for me. It's one more week on the season to get excited about and then you realize you don't have a qb good enough to win it for you.

I hope we get to see Peterman at some point this year, just to get an idea of what we have. The same goes for continuing Dawkins play to evaluate what kind of lineman we have there. The biggest draft for this team in decades is coming up and we need to go into this offseason with some more data on these guys. Logan Thomas? Milano?

I'm hopeful for the drought to end just so the stupid conversation ends, but I just don't see us winning on the road in a playoff game with our passing game being so anemic. Its basically midseason and we're signing receivers off the couch and starting them the same week, and we're one shady injury away from doing the same thing with running backs. Beane did not forsee us making a run here or we'd still have Sammy, he really was affordable for one more year.

I still love watching the Bills, but we need to get the QB of the future, and hit on some draft picks this spring. That's the key to having a dynasty here.

You make great good sense Webster, all except for the championship thing. I'll wait to see how they handle the raiders. Solid game plan from Dennison, consistency from Tyrod, a solid game from McCoy, O'Leary and Thompson and a couple of TOs and maybe we can start to think about the post season. This may not be toughest game of the year but it is the watershed game of 2017. Win this one, no matter if it's 1 point or 20, and all the rest are better than just winnable and the division is within reach.