Ben McAdoo Has "Giant" Problems - Has Been Fired

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There is literally zero value in your statement.  For example...lets say Eli was a bag of old fruit and the Bills QB were bags of dog poo.  If I said would you rather eat the old fruit or the bags of dog poo, I think we know what you would choose.  So your statement literally provides NO context to the evaluation of HIS career.  

The barometer to measure a QB's career is not how they measure up against the Bills.  Your comments I responded to were you mocking the grading of Eli being average over his career, not how does his career compare to Bills QB's the last 17 years.  

So I stand 100% by everything I wrote that you responded too in my evaluation of Eli as a QB in the NFL.  To answer your completely unrelated question, I would take Eli over any QB we had over the last 17 years.  

However, I don't know I would take the Eli of the last 2 years over Tyrod, it would be close.  Not saying TT is better than Eli, but over the last 2 years Eli has been atrocious with turnovers and cost the Giants big with it while still throwing to a great group of weapons.  I actually think the Giants record would be slightly better with TT the last 2 years than Eli...not by much, but still better.  The Eli of the last couple years has been a tier 4 QB IMO. 

My point is, it's hard to take criticism of Eli seriously as a fan of a team that can't find an AVERAGE qb.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

My point is, it's hard to take criticism of Eli seriously as a fan of a team that can't find an AVERAGE qb.

I get that, but in retrospect, thats completely irrelevant in making any sort of evaluation of Eli as a QB over his career.  Bills failures have no relevancy in a grade about Eli as a QB, he is measured against the entire NFL, not just the Bills.  

He falls somewhere above average, but below good.  Different times he was closer to good and others we has worse than average.  Overall, he falls between average and good somewhere.  

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Its not that simple though...you are way over simplifying it.

1. On a year to year basis, Eli has been a highly inconsistent and mistake prone QB.
  2. The 2 SB rings also had an Elite pass rush that was a major part of those rings that in both cases held the single greatest Offensive season in NFL history to under 20 points and then again the 2nd one against same team and QB.  There are a LOT of QB's that aren't great that have SB rings or make the SB in general.  I mean even guys like Neil O'Donnel and Rex Grossman got there and guys like Dilfer are champs. 
  3. Yes, his TOTALS are impressive...but again, TOTALS are literally the absolute worst barometer to measure anyone.  Longevity and volume play HEAVY into it, leaving looking at totals is an incomplete way to evaluate a career.  For instance, just 6 places all time behind Eli is Vinny Testaverde...literally the poster child for "average" yet has more passing yards (over 46k) than Jim Kelly, who isnt in the top 20.  
  4. For almost the entire career of Eli, they have been a heavy pass based team with a poor running game.  So yardage volume is going to come with that, doesn't make him a highly effective QB.  

Eli is no bum, but he is also grossly over rated by the 2 SB wins and his yardage total barometer you are using.  I don't know I would call him "average" because you do still need to respect the 2 playoff runs that got them SB's where he made some incredible plays late in both those wins that got them the W.  But I would fall short of saying he has been a "good" QB.  I think if I had to label it, I would say he's been streaky but solid starter who you can win if he is on a talented team overall, but absolutely can not carry your team without that.  

I like to break QB rankings of tiers consisting of 4 QBs each.  Over his career, Tier 1 has been dominated by the Rodgers, Brady, Brees, and Manning...where older (Warner) and newer (Wilson) guys have also spent some time in as well.  I think if I had to do that based on his career, I would say he averages out to a tier 3 guy.  There have been moments he's climbed into tier 2 (where guys like Big Ben and Matt Ryan have mostly have resided) and there have been times he has easily been a tier 4 guy.  

But overall, I would say between the SB wins and longevity, he has been a tier 3.5 QB over the course of his total career on average.  Which to me is a solid career that is above average but also short of good.

Well said.  I agree with your thoughts.  Surely not elite.  Better than average when playing his best, but, that happens less than half the time.

10 hours ago, Manther said:

Well said.  I agree with your thoughts.  Surely not elite.  Better than average when playing his best, but, that happens less than half the time.

I agree with Alphadog's thoughts on Eli, too.  I think the most notable aspect of Eli is his streakiness.  That has stood out about him since he was a rookie.  All QBs can have hot and cold streaks, but Eli's have been spectacular at times and seem to last longer than simply a handful of games.  When he's "on", he not only can carry a team, he seemingly makes miraculous plays, but then there's "bad Eli" who becomes a turn over machine.

• 2 weeks later...

New York Giants co-owner John Mara says changes are coming to the team, and he hinted that coach Ben McAdoo's job could be in jeopardy before the season ends.

When asked by reporters Wednesday if McAdoo's job is safe for the remainder of the season, Mara replied, "there's no guarantees in life." He added that the Giants "obviously have some decisions to make this offseason."

Word on the street....

The Giants have fired

HC Ben McAdoo

And

GM Jerry Reese

More firings maybe added later.

Being reported by Schefter and WGR.

McAdoo was in his 2nd year as HC.

Giants made The playoffs last year.

This year they fully clean house.

No process for them. That staff got 2 years, made the playoffs once, got killed by injuries, fell apart and got fired before the 32nd of the 2nd season.

Edited by Marty McFly

2 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

McAdoo lost the team and Reese's drafts have been awful. 

The Giants made the right move here.

Thats right, outside of Landon Colljns, Sterling Shepard, and Darian Thompson, the Giants have drafted like sht.

I thought Reese should have got canned with Tom.

2 minutes ago, fridge said:

Very hard for me to sympathize with the Giants. Welcome to football purgatory.  They'll be here with us as long as it takes them to find a franchise QB.

Giants ownership is smarter than ours, they wont be bottom feeders for long

5 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

Wonder if they miss Coughlin?

Coughlins nice and high on old people pills helping the Jax FO draw up Elis contract for Next season