McDermott's Influence on Offense

ROONDOGG55

I was under the impression that he was involved in the offensive game plan. Early in training camp, I believe, he pointed out that he would be paying close attention to the offense. Did it stop there?

From the first preseason game to now it seems Dennison and Castillo have complete control. Obviously the final decision comes from McDermott's mouth, but does he trust the opinions of his coordinators and position coaches a little too much?

Now, with success comes a longer leash. After the first several games Dennison should have the shortest leash. McDermott should be in that room at all times pointing out the obvious. Use TT's athletic ability more, TT why did you not scramble here, TT look to the left, he is wide open, TT anticipate the route and throw on time, TT throw him the ball and not point to him, implement some blocking scheme's that cater to our guys strengths, call unpredictable plays (play action or quick passes on 1st play of a drive / not a run), and so on.

It's clear to me that he has little insight about what goes on with this offense. One of the downfalls of hiring a defensive minded coach who has absolutely no offensive experience. Additionally, our offensive coordinator is a former NFL linebacker, and our offensive line coach has a history of underperforming lineman.

I was really hoping he would take a chance on a guy with a vision on offense. Someone who could relate to a QB and help mold his game. I understand there was slim pickings for an offensive coordinator with experience, but damn dude. The lack of creativity on offense is going to be the one factor that McDermott will have to overcome. If he does not get it right, then the Bills will not sustain consistent success like what he and Beane envision. Hopefully this bye week will give Dennison and company an epiphany because they surly do need it.

Disclaimer: I am no expert, I did not use statistical data to come up with any of my assumptions, and I don't care. Lol. These are my observations.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of the downfalls of hiring a defensive minded coach who has absolutely no offensive experience. Additionally, our offensive coordinator is a former NFL linebacker.

Of all the repeated takes on this board, this is up there as one of the dumbest.

Who cares that he was a backup linebacker for a few years in the NFL? He's spent nearly a quarter of a century immersed in the Shanahan offensive system and is an accomplished NFL offensive coordinator.

Of all the repeated takes on this board, this is up there as one of the dumbest.

Who cares that he was a backup linebacker for a few years in the NFL? He's spent nearly a quarter of a century immersed in the Shanahan offensive system and is an accomplished NFL offensive coordinator.

So, tell me what HE has actually accomplished. Not Kubiak or Shanahan, but him. He has always played second fiddle to other offensive minded coaches. Was it concerning for you that after a quarter century this was his first year calling plays? It sure was for me, but again, let me reiterate that I hope they have an epiphany during the bye week.

So, tell me what HE has actually accomplished. Not Kubiak or Shanahan, but him. He has always played second fiddle to other offensive minded coaches. Was it concerning for you that after a quarter century this was his first year calling plays? It sure was for me, but again, let me reiterate that I hope they have an epiphany during the bye week.

You said above you don't care. So why keep going on about this?

I'm sure Mcdermott is heavily involved in offensive game planning. I just don't think he has anything to do with the playcalling during the actual game.

It just doesn't seem like he has a lot to say about it. Seeing Vlad jump in and start along with the generic/predictable play calling, I just don't see it. McD should at least tell him what he hates to see as a defensive guy. It just seems like the opposing defenses know exactly what we are doing before the ball is snapped.

I know that any accomplish I list you'll just wave off as Kubiak's or Shanahan's so I won't even bother there. I'm referring to the statement that because he played linebacker that he can't be a good offensive mind. It's silly.

It just doesn't seem like he has a lot to say about it. Seeing Vlad jump in and start along with the generic/predictable play calling, I just don't see it. McD should at least tell him what he hates to see as a defensive guy. It just seems like the opposing defenses know exactly what we are doing before the ball is snapped.

That's because the defense knows the quarterback won't beat them with his arm.

I know that any accomplish I list you'll just wave off as Kubiak's or Shanahan's so I won't even bother there. I'm referring to the statement that because he played linebacker that he can't be a good offensive mind. It's silly.

Yeah, maybe I am being a little over the top with that.

He most certainly can have success, but I don't see enough creativity to produce any. I mean we can capitalize on a few plays, but it seems like they leave a lot on the field on almost every drive. Would like to see a few more less than predictable plays being called. You have to do whatever possible to keep the opposing defense guessing at all times.

What'd you mean by "accomplished?" I'm not against the guy but I wouldn't call him accomplished. He's been a good understudy but never the main actor. This may be the first time in his career he's actually building the offense during the week.

That's because the defense knows the quarterback won't beat them with his arm.

Yea you mean those 8 passes over 35 yards (never pass and run just bombs) to Watkins in 2015 never happened?

We all know that Dennison was not our first choice for OC but my question is this; who do we replace him with?

Go Bills!!!!!

I think we would do more damage if we replace him. McDermott just needs to get a little more involved and tell his coaches to adjust the offense to their players strengths. I'm just tired of seeing our coaches trying to fit square pegs into a round hole. It never works, but we see our coaches do it year after year.

I think we would do more damage if we replace him. McDermott just needs to get a little more involved and tell his coaches to adjust the offense to their players strengths. I'm just tired of seeing our coaches trying to fit square pegs into a round hole. It never works, but we see our coaches do it year after year.

What do you mean by this? Which players and which strengths?

What do you mean by this? Which players and which strengths?

John Miller and Tyrod Taylor. Miller came on strong last season with their techniques and blocking schemes, but this year he has regressed tremendously as well as the other lineman regressing in some sorts. Our offensive line was our strongpoint last season. Why would you take a risk messing that up?

TT is not a strong passer from the pocket and never will be. A few passes from the pocket peppered into the scheme is ok, but relying on him to do that the majority of the game doesn't always work. Our offense as a whole operates better with him moving the pocket and limiting the pass rush. Doing so would prevent the relentless passrush, alleviate some pressure on our tackles, and keep their LBs honest instead of shooting the gap.

Yet again, square pegs in a round hole. We saw this with Rex and the defense. We all saw how that worked out in the end.

Great post Roon . I agree 100%. This pathetic offense will eventually bring down this team. Castillo playing Ducasse over Groy is a joke. Get involved Sean. Demand that Rico grooms an offense around TT's strengths...

This was preached by McDermott as well as Dennison. I'm finding it difficult to see it on the field. Let the guy ball out and create some plays. Throw in an occasional option run, more motion, more audibles at the line. This offense needs diversion more than anything with the lack of playmakers. Which is why we need a lot more creativity from our coordinator.

Dennison played TE and WR in college. I have no idea why it would matter though... He's a former professional football player with 20 years experience coaching in the league. I'm pretty sure he's qualified to be an offensive coordinator.