Worst WR corps ever? + collateral damage to DropZone Jones

BADOLBILZ

This is worst WR corps the Bills have EVER fielded.

Worst in the NFL right now.......that is bad enough.........but the worst EVER fielded by this woeful franchise.........that took some doing by McDermott/Beane.

Two games lost already because of the Watkins trade..........and the collateral damage is also becoming very significant.

A second and third round pick were dealt to acquire the pick to select Zay Jones............and this kid is SHOOK to the core........might be the fastest any Bills player has ever needed a "change of scenery".

The bottom line is that Drop Zone was not prepared to be a feature WR.........he should have been eased in as a big slot against nickel and dime corners not starting early in the season against boundary 1's and 2's.

Additionally........with no concerted effort to acquire even a serviceable NFL quality deep threat........the formula for offensive success has been diluted resulting in an unrecognizable swill.

The key stat for Bills RB's was yards before contact.......that room was created mostly by stretching the D vertically thru the combination of Taylor's athleticism and his ability to get the ball deep to good deep threats like Watkins, Goodwin and Hogan.

Without that.......the league's second highest paid RB Shady McCoy looks like garbage averaging 3.2 ypc and no rushing TD's nearly 1/3 of the way thru the season....... behind what is MOSTLY the same OL still trying to do a lot of the same things that worked before.

This is a developing offensive disaster for a VERY OLD TEAM that was built to win now..........and McDermott is not oblivious to it........the second question of his PC was "why didn't you do more for your WR corps before the season?" and he was on it like he has been thinking about it a WHOLE LOT. It was bad enough not getting a legit #2 wideout in the winter/spring.......but then trading your #1.......awful.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wide receiver is so overblown. Even Tate is capable when the quarterback passes him the ball. It's up to the quarterback to make the right reads and give his receiver a chance at making a play on the ball. You rarely see that from our quarterback. How many drops did we see from the WR's today? I don't recall any.

Wide receiver is so overblown. Even Tate is capable when the quarterback passes him the ball. It's up to the quarterback to make the right reads and give his receiver a chance at making a play on the ball. You rarely see that from our quarterback. How many drops did we see from the WR's today? I don't recall any.

Tell that to Matt Ryan last week.

Or Dalton last year when AJ went down 1st quarter.

It's a weak group to be sure and I'd probably take last years group even without Watkins over these guys. With a middling QB, I think it's magnified not overblown. The Bills don't have a talent at QB that can elevate the WRs. He needs better WRs to actually function as a passer.

So Dalton didn't need green today? Just substitute Tate in there for Green.

Jones dropped more balls today.

I think it's equally about the QB trusting his receivers to make catches, particularly for someone like Taylor who is very risk averse when throwing the ball.

The All-22 will be very interesting, because I have a feeling that these scrubs will be open on a number of occasions, and Taylor simply didn't trust them to make the play and catch the ball.

Good receivers get open. There were several plays today where Tyrod had plenty of time to throw in the pocket but our WRs couldn't get any separation and the play fell apart.

It's a weak group to be sure and I'd probably take last years group even without Watkins over these guys. With a middling QB, I think it's magnified not overblown. The Bills don't have a talent at QB that can elevate the WRs. He needs better WRs to actually function as a passer.

I dont disagree. But there are about 5 QBs in the NFL that could elevate a steaming pile of poop that is our WR corps; And 3 are first ballot HOF. Yes, Tyrod is not on that level.

Just a question how did a bunch of no names do a couple years ago when Fitz (will all his flaws got the ball out on time) was QB?

How many turnovers did the Fitz have. And that group was better than what we had out there today, without Clay.

None of this is shocking unless you were in the crowd that zay was an instant pro bowler and Holmes poised to breakout and philly a known quantity and boldin still a best and... when you look at what guys have been and should be - it's not shocking though. Instead of placing guys in roles they can handle, everyone's slotted into spots that are too big for them.

Frankly we had a glut of depth receivers. The Matthews injury hurt but our dropoff from 1 to 5 (or 6, 7, 8)has to be about as thin as any team in the league. We have a ton of those "fine enough, I guess" guys and none of the "keep an eye on him" type

Edited by NoSaint

There were several drops today.

Jones dropped 2. I recall Tate dropping one that would have put us in field goal range on a 3rd and very long. I'm sure there were others.

Our wide receivers are the worst in the league. It's unbelievable how bad they are.

With Matthews out, Clay being lost early, and Jones looking like a rookie, yes the receiving corps is bad. Not much you can do when your top-2 receivers are out and your rookie is playing like ****. Oh and your QB refuses to throw to guys who are open.

Just a question how did a bunch of no names do a couple years ago when Fitz (will all his flaws got the ball out on time) was QB?

A lot was scheme playing to strengths - spreading the field horizontally if nothing else. It wasn't sustainable but it created some good days. Likewise we've seen some good days with Tyrod.

How many turnovers did the Fitz have. And that group was better than what we had out there today, without Clay.

Sure they were or was it because Fitz got the ball out in time.

And again i get it our QB waits for college open because he is Ultra Conservative

Sure they were or was it because Fitz got the ball out in time.

And again i get it our QB waits for college open because he is Ultra Conservative

How many drops were there today? Quite a few that would have extended drives.

There were several drops today.

Jones dropped 2. I recall Tate dropping one that would have put us in field goal range on a 3rd and very long. I'm sure there were others.

Our wide receivers are the worst in the league. It's unbelievable how bad they are.

Is it? What could one expect of this group? They are terrible and there is no disguising it.