Forum software feature: Yay or Nay?

SDS

Only if there are only Public and/or Open clubs. The Closed and Private options could be alienating to some.

Does this mean you may stick with IPB?

The best thing I can think of it could be used for would be something along the lines of how Hammer does his parking/meet up. I'm sure there would be a group of people that would sign up for that club to let him know about if they are coming and that would be a group that only people that regularly do those things would join up for (unlike myself since I really don't go to games much anymore).

I guess it's hard for me to get a good feel for everything it can do and how it would integrate with the community. I tend to develop stuff with a partial concept and then once I start using it can decide how it does/doesn't work for me.

From skimming the link SDS provided, it looks like these "clubs" can have various levels of permissions and don't necessarily have to be exclusionary.

As a season ticket holder in Rochester who tries to get to at least one road game per season, I could see a number of these "clubs" being useful for communication around a given sub-interest. Just for myself, clubs like "Rochester fans", "Rochester season ticket holders", "Bills road warriors", could all be useful. All you tailgating master chefs could trade recipes. The mods could have a private club to decide which one of us is next against the wall, etc, etc.

This is a good use of the clubs. I think the concern I have was missing content that is for everyone being lost in these clubs. In your case, it's targeted for a specific group of people for a focused reason which I think would be good for the community. It would keep things off the main page and/or take the hassle off yourself/others from having to reach out individually to forum members.

Edited by The Wiz

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing I can think of it could be used for would be something along the lines of how Hammer does his parking/meet up. I'm sure there would be a group of people that would sign up for that club to let him know about if they are coming and that would be a group that only people that regularly do those things would join up for (unlike myself since I really don't go to games much anymore).

I guess it's hard for me to get a good feel for everything it can do and how it would integrate with the community. I tend to develop stuff with a partial concept and then once I start using it can decide how it does/doesn't work for me.

This is a good use of the clubs. I think the concern I have was missing content that is for everyone being lost in these clubs. In your case, it's targeted for a specific group of people for a focused reason which I think would be good for the community. It would keep things off the main page and/or take the hassle off yourself/others from having to reach out individually to forum members.

My thoughts exactly.

So, to wrap your mind around this feature - all it really is are user created forums arranged in a club directory as opposed to me creating them and slotting them in a rigid layout as we do now.

And as I mentioned above - this wouldn't be for people to create their own little Bills discussion groups.

I think my only initial objection would be sub groups to discuss the Bills. I wouldn't want any splintering of the larger discussion elsewhere.

So one club for kneelers and one for standers is probably out?

How about adding more than 16 pages of 'ignore prefs' then.... :lol:

Actually you could start a private club and only invite the posters that you respect their contributions to the site. It becomes pretty apparent after a while what is the wheat and what is the chaff.

Not a good idea to have private clubs. One big family is a much better way to go. Would hate seeing the site splintered in to clubs.

Not a fan of everyone having their own little group.

Actually you could start a private club and only invite the posters that you respect their contributions to the site. It becomes pretty apparent after a while what is the wheat and what is the chaff.

Not a good idea to have private clubs. One big family is a much better way to go. Would hate seeing the site splintered in to clubs.

Not a fan of everyone having their own little group.

I have already said multiple times that the purpose of those clubs would not be to do that.

I have already said multiple times that the purpose of those clubs would not be to do that.

"Not be the purpose" is one thing. "Can't be used like that" is another.

Fact is, if they can be used to exclude people. they will be. And even if they can't, they will be. One need look no further than PPP for proof of that.

On the other hand, we could put in one place all the people that can't spell "clique," and never have to see that again.

Wow, spel cheek rely got ya upseet huh. Sry do not wana upseet a speeel cheeker thier brans expeed when thy C it.

On the other hand, we could put in one place all the people that can't spell "clique," and never have to see that again.

Yes.... but can those who spell it correctly, pronounce it correctly also.....?

The Wiz, I like the sub group idea a lot and you raise a great point of duplicate conversations, aside from possibly isolating people. To add to what The Wiz mentioned, what if instead of grouping people, we grouped topics in a hierarchy. Example, there is a Bills Offense discussion, with a main thread, but then you would have sub threads below that hiearchy, where people could start individual discussions that are more targeted towards a specific nuance of the offense.

Maybe have tags associated with the threads so it would all post to the main thread, but you could follow the specific conversation much more easily if you are interested in a specific aspect of the offense in the sub thread associated with that tag. Would be especially helpful since there are often several sub conversations going on in each large thread at any one time.

This!!!

A lot of us do this on phones and I think a lot of the " Use search function" or " isn't there already a thread about this" stuff might be ameliorated by this.

I think many duplicate threads aren't LAMP threads but just because it's hard to navigate on a smaller device.

Edited by Buffalo Boy

No, just "click." For whatever reason, that was fingernails-on-a-chalkboard bad to me.

Lol, society just don't care anymore I guess I shouldn't be mad but happy you corrected me in such a nice manor. Thank you I won't use click in the same way again. Isn't it Iconic don't ya tink..lol

Please correct me if Im wrong but what we don't understand in my opinion is how you will stop it from happening. It sounds to me that there will be a bunch more areas to look in with clubs and that will create way to much to look at. When you see a certain club based thread it will be really easy to look away and that alone will create people thinking this board is way to complicated because of so many clubs or don't want to go to that club to get harassed because their opinion isn't the same as theirs. I might not agree with some poster's but I want to continue to read what they have to say sadly it will have me not posting as much thats for sure. I guess I just don't understand how creating clubs will make the board less cluttered.

I use my phone 95% of the time. Have no problems

I use mine all the time as well

So, to wrap your mind around this feature - all it really is are user created forums arranged in a club directory as opposed to me creating them and slotting them in a rigid layout as we do now.

And as I mentioned above - this wouldn't be for people to create their own little Bills discussion groups.

so you are saying is someone wants to start an "all things College" club to discuss that rather then have to be sure it isnt in the stadium wall and on the college forum? Or am I not understanding this at all?

I think you will get clicky groups in clubs like I said before. Not sure how you would moderate them with only a few moderators. I could see 15–30 or more little clubs starting. How would you control it?

Your site, do as you feel is right. People will adapt.

I like the idea SDS. It feels like it will take some time for us to figure out how to navigate it but everyone will be glad once it's rolling. I think that it will take away some of the hostility that's been on here too. It seems like it will be easier to focus on a particular part of the discussion. As an example that great recipe thread had a lot of clutter about whether or not the Bills should sign Jeremy Maclin..

Why can't it just be created by the main system, a only mod type function instead of the clubs. Just create a page for each subject like below.

Offense .(no QB talk)

Defense .

QB.

RB.

WR.

Any player. but no QB talk

Head coach.

Coordinators

Current GM .

Owner .

Past head coaches .

Past GMs

Past players

Injury reports

Around the NFL

This week's opponent.

FAs available

Your team ideas

Draft .

Stadium.

College players watch

Away game meetups

Home game meetups

A very mad thread.

Good times thread

Players you want the Bills to sign

Playoffs

Gameday(closed 24 hours after game)

Media

Good story

HOF

The wall

Off season

Gameday food and tailgating

Places to visit in Buffalo

If you want a thread added thread

Problems your having with the board thread

I would think simplifying it would make it really easy to use and would stop multiple threads starting on the same subject. Take away people making a thread they would have to put it where it belongs. I think letting posters create clubs will split this board up and create a bunch of areas to clean up for the mods over just what we have now. Not letting posters start there own thread will clean up the mess. Tyrods 15 threads all in one and so on.

What is funny is we now have two threads about this subject. Take away people's right to make a thread. Mods could always add a thread if enough people want it added just by talking about it in that thread.

Edited by xRUSHx

Please correct me if Im wrong but what we don't understand in my opinion is how you will stop it from happening. It sounds to me that there will be a bunch more areas to look in with clubs and that will create way to much to look at. When you see a certain club based thread it will be really easy to look away and that alone will create people thinking this board is way to complicated because of so many clubs or don't want to go to that club to get harassed because their opinion isn't the same as theirs. I might not agree with some poster's but I want to continue to read what they have to say sadly it will have me not posting as much thats for sure. I guess I just don't understand how creating clubs will make the board less cluttered.

I use mine all the time as well

Main problem I have is the reply function, which works half the time on my iPhone 6. I now use the edit function to post replies , otherwise, half of them end up three posts below my original quote.

Also, it's tough/ time consuming to scroll through all the subjects in the Stadium wall and ( I'm lazy, I admit) but the " search" function requires me to hit the icon in the corner, pick forum and type in search words. Auto correct comes into play and it's just a pain in the arse.

If there was a TT group that showed all sub groups of TT threads it would ease finding my particular subject.

Edited by Buffalo Boy