Cam Newton under fire for comment toward female reporter

YoloinOhio

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm watching women's artistic gymnastics world championship, with two male announcers calling it and doing most of the talking.

Strangely, I don't think I've ever heard it questioned why the sporting world needs a male commentator for women's gymnastics and stated to sound unnatural.

Yep. Plenty of male announcers I think are cr*p, any individual woman announcer should have as much or as little chance to be cr*p

Hahaha @ watching women's artistic gymnastics. Did you lose a bet? Edited by RaoulDuke79

right, so we agree, at least in part. He said something idiotic at the wrong place and the wrong time to the wrong person.

yet the story continues. every major network I saw referenced "growing outrage" against Cam Newton for controversial remarks. the reporter has circled back to say she was never given an apology.

as for him being a "sexist", I checked the website for his foundation and found it interesting. seems to have at least one woman on the board (not sure if she's a relative or close friend as other members are), and his media manager is a woman. some of the charities he supported clearly benefit underprivileged people many of whom seem to be women. People are complicated, I just don't see a need for massive wall to wall coverage here, and it seems more than a little "crowds with pitchforks" to me.

Well,It does seem as if the Girly Men, and some Women were quite offended, regardless of his true intention as seen by his charity work!

It probably is funny for him to talk to a woman about routes. He works with men all day and every day and has for quite some time. His norm is alpha males who play quite literally a mans game. She may know all the theories about and types of routes run but has she ever been blown up over the middle?

Whoa!

You're going to scare them with logic!!!

Some Obamas bashing?

I see it didn't take you long to figure that out!

Perhaps. I hope so. I'm not sure you're correct though.

Oh, he's correct alright.

It seems to be common in a certain crowd of youth. Rap fans? Athletes? Not sure. Appear to consider "female" a respectful form of address - guess it's a step up from "ho" or "B word"

Creeps me out too. Cam, son, that's a "woman" you're addressing.

And Cam is a man you are addressing,not your son. Edited by Dopey

There are definitely some angry folks on the wrong side of history, holding onto their rapidly-eroding status of being in the cultural driver's seat. If all you have going for you is that you're a white male - you need to work on yourself. It's not society's fault.

All of that said - Cam is a moron.

"The Cultural Driver Seat"

Have you been noticing the more impowering Liberal,Progressive,Democrat Women becomes, the weaker and more insane the Country has become?

Have you been noticing that?

Oh Yeah,and Cam is a Moron,but so are a whole lot of folks out there!

Edited by Buffaloflash

It seems to be common in a certain crowd of youth. Rap fans? Athletes? Not sure. Appear to consider "female" a respectful form of address - guess it's a step up from "ho" or "B word"

Creeps me out too. Cam, son, that's a "woman" you're addressing.

So the term female is a problem now too? What am I missing here? Edited by RaoulDuke79

I don't mind women in sports.

But let's be real. They find hot chicks. They teach them what they need to know. They coach them on what to say. And, because they are professionals, they learn.

I would bet my son's life on the fact that ZERO of the women on TV for football, were football enthusiasts growing up. They're entertainers and they've learned their parts.

They don't know schit about running routes and Cam Newton knows it.

Should he have said it? Perhaps not. Perhaps so.

I applaud him, personally.

No offense, but do you hate your son, or just not give a shizz about him?

Because I don't think you know the football background of 100% of the women on TV for football, and the way you wrote that, if just one of them turned out to be a football fan and football knowledgeable before she was hired, you just caused your son's death

Seems like a pretty dumbass way to make a point I'm gonna say you really have no definitive knowledge of

134792.jpg

thank you, I am not bothered by your observation of my post, rather I'm honored.

on a serious note. I find you to be one of the most knowledgeable posters on this board and you generally have some very good takes. yet I have to ask, why so serious?

I've been on the receiving end of being knowledgeable and qualified, but not taken seriously because of people's assumptions, more than once. I believe Cam has too - making his response ironic

Thanks for the kind word

Oh, he's correct alright.

And Cam is a man you are addressing,not your son.

Figure of speech, Son. Don't pitch a hissy over a figure of speech used to describe a male

So the term female is a problem now too? What am I missing here?

Not a problem. Just kind of creeps some of us out, since the corresponding term "male" doesn't seem to get used to describe men. Call it a peripheral gripe.

https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/197009-cam-newton-under-fire-for-comment-toward-female-reporter/?p=4583224

When I was in my early twenties I tended bar in NYC, I worked with a big Irish American guy named Bill, who was ten years my senior. A group of people came in after work. Bill walks over to a woman in that group and says "what will it be doll?". She says "excuse me but I'm a Federal Court Judge, I've worked hard to get here, please don't address me as doll". Without missing a beat Bill says "whatever you say hon". I just looked at her and said, "he's never going to get it".

And conversely,another female judge may have accepted the compliment as intended and sat at the bar and received free drinks all night.

Thats the vast majority of men these days unfortunately.

The rise of feminism is directly correlated with the long term decline in male testosterone levels starting around 1950 and which have continued to this day...pretty soon teenagers will need to go on TRT just to hit puberty...

The epidemic nobody wants to talk about...

I assume you've got links to all the single variable studies demonstrating both the decline in male testosterone levels, and (if this is documented) the direct link to feminism and not to, oh, other factors known to influence testosterone level such as changes in diet, exercise levels, dramatic increases in the use and prevalence of estrogen mimetic compounds such as bisphenol-A?

Sheesh, this thread

As there should be. One would hope, anyway, considering it's a sign of progress in society. Then again, Trump is President so that progress is not always linear or going at the rate one would hope.

Yep,You Metrosexuals,we need progress like that!

These last few pages have been a fun read. A few thoughts:

- Newton's comment was clearly light-hearted and meant to be said for the sake of humor. It was just a poor delivery in the wrong forum.

- 3rd wave feminism isn't about equality; it's about denying the innate differences between women and men.

- A man's level of outrage at latent sexism tends to be inversely related to his success with women.

- A man's hostility towards women is also inversely related to his success with them.

- If a player cannot be criticised for exercising his free speech to denigrate the country he cannot be criticised for using his free speech to marginalize a reporter.

I like all that!