Notable stat indicative of Taylor's valuable play right now

Mods, feel free to merge this with another thread if you want, but this stat isn't something you can just find. You need to go to the ESPN splits for every single QB in the NFL to find this particular stat... so I figured it deserved some discussion, since it has been a point of criticism for Taylor in 2015 and 2016.

Tyrod Taylor has the 3rd highest passer rating in the NFL when trailing the opponent.

#1- Alex Smith at 136.2

#2- Russell Wilson at 115.7

#3- Tyrod Taylor at 114.2

That's significantly better than 2015 (95.6) or 2016 (92.5) and I think it's something to put your finger on in terms of an area of improvement.

He's also 8/19 (42.1%) with 1 TD on 3rd downs when trailing.

Look, he's doing what he's asked to do when he's asked to do it and he's doing it at a pretty high level. The Bills have actually been ahead the majority of the time this year, and on the year, when the Bills have been either trailing or tied with the opposition, Taylor has thrown 74% of his passes (at a 69% completion %) for 77% of his yards and 80% of his TDs. He's also been a more efficient runner when trailing or tied. He's gained 75 yards at 5.8 YPC, as opposed to the 43 yards at 2.4 YPC when the team has been ahead.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hes playing well and if it keeps up I would expect him to be back next year as our starter with hopefully another young guy being groomed behind him.

That.

I have but one wish. Get in sync with Zay and get some yards from the Rookie.

In fairness we haven't trailed much have we? Think furthest down we have been is 4 points and that was not for a prolonged period.

Did we trail the Jets at all?

Down 6 to Carolina

Tied 13 apiece at the half with Denver

Down 3 to ATL at the half

That's in part to the Defense keeping the score low.

That.

I have but one wish. Get in sync with Zay and get some yards from the Rookie.

Did we trail the Jets at all?

Down 6 to Carolina

Tied 13 apiece at the half with Denver

Down 3 to ATL at the half

That's in part to the Defense keeping the score low.

Ah of course we trailed by 6 in Carolina.

Mods, feel free to merge this with another thread if you want, but this stat isn't something you can just find. You need to go to the ESPN splits for every single QB in the NFL to find this particular stat... so I figured it deserved some discussion, since it has been a point of criticism for Taylor in 2015 and 2016.

Tyrod Taylor has the 3rd highest passer rating in the NFL when trailing the opponent.

#1- Alex Smith at 136.2

That's significantly better than 2015 (95.6) or 2016 (92.5) and I think it's something to put your finger on in terms of an area of improvement.

Look, he's doing what he's asked to do when he's asked to do it and he's doing it at a pretty high level. The Bills have actually been ahead the majority of the time this year, and on the year, when the Bills have been either trailing or tied with the opposition, Taylor has thrown 74% of his passes (at a 69% completion %) for 77% of his yards and 80% of his TDs. He's also been a more efficient runner when trailing or tied. He's gained 75 yards at 5.8 YPC, as opposed to the 43 yards at 2.4 YPC when the team has been ahead.

oh and he some how has had sustained drives. Feels weird

Hes playing well and if it keeps up I would expect him to be back next year as our starter with hopefully another young guy being groomed behind him.

perfect!

In fairness we haven't trailed much have we? Think furthest down we have been is 4 points and that was not for a prolonged period.

is this like the 300 yard thing ?

I hope he stays out starter until someone better actually legitimately takes the job from him.

I hope he stays out starter until someone better actually legitimately takes the job from him.

I would nothing less.

and i hope Bills pick up someone to challenge him next draft. Good for the Team. I also hope Taylor can keep him on the bench because of Tyrod's success.

asking a lot. i know

Alex Smith is a bad man. He heard y'all spend all offseason saying he's mediocre and worse than TT. He's waxing that ass.

I think his 47-21 record as a starter for the Chiefs says enough. Contract year as well. What will the Chiefs do with their Shiny new toy Mahomes?

#1- Alex Smith at 136.2

How exactly does one improve third downs when trailing? Seems like something that is either a product of a tiny sample size or improving some other more important way

We've trailed for almost half the time the team has played thus far. I'd have to look up the total amount of minutes, but it's not an insignificant amount of time.

He's thrown the ball 49 times when the team is trailing. That's just a hair under 50% of his total passes.

Worth pointing out we haven't trailed by more than 3 points at any point this season. All our games are close and he's making clutch 3rd down plays to keep drives alive. This is what many wanted to see to say he had taken a step.

To a degree...

What many want to see is Tyrod throw the team on his back down 2 scores an win a game. Until that happens you will see the same comments about him,

How exactly does one improve third downs when trailing? Seems like something that is either a product of a tiny sample size or improving some other more important way

I don't think McDermott cares much about offensive production or getting first downs when the team is ahead. You can just see how uber conservative he gets at that point, like when Taylor did that little QB sweep on 3rd down just before Hauschka's final 55 yard FG in Atlanta.

I was actually screaming at the TV in the bar in terms of how conservative that play call was. But it worked.

Alex Smith is a bad man. He heard y'all spend all offseason saying he's mediocre and worse than TT. He's waxing that ass.

He looks unbelievable so far this year. He really does.

To a degree...

What many want to see is Tyrod throw the team on his back down 2 scores an win a game. Until that happens you will see the same comments about him,

Oh, it has to be 2 scores?

I really wonder whether or when or how often this team is even going to be down by 2 scores this season with this defense, but if the team goes down by 10 (2 scores) and he plays well and brings the team back, is it then going to turn into 2 TDs rather than 2 scores?

I actually thought to look that up mainly because I kept thinking Taylor has been constantly making plays this year when he needs to.

Ah of course we trailed by 6 in Carolina.

Oh yeah, I could have sworn I saw a stat saying we have never trailed by more than 3.

To a degree...

He did it last year against Miami. If Hauschka was here we would have won that game even with Rex as coach.

Tyrod is 74% on passes over the middle. The league average is 55%. That was from a tweet by Astrobot.

Dennison's run scheme is worse than Roman's by a country mile, but his pass schemes are better by a country mile. It's a game of OC whack-a-mole.

The Bills would be foolish to not keep Taylor if he continues to play well simply because there's no guarantee that the Bills are going to find their "future franchise QB" in the 2018 draft. The Bills have tried drafting QBs in the first round, and both were busts. If 2018 is a dud year for QBs like 2013 was, it won't even matter if the Bills have the #1 pick in the draft. Even a draft with a lot of prospects likely to go in the first round doesn't mean that the Bills will pick the right one. They traded back into the first round to take Losman in a draft that not only produced with three other first round QBs who were all successful but also a third rounder who was a decent starter for several years. Aside from that, a young QB might not be ready for the NFL in his first or even his second year, especially since so many colleges no longer play pro-style offenses.

When it comes to this particular stat I don't think it matters how often we trailed. What matters is that Taylor is asked to do most of his work in that scenario and it is shown that he does a good job of doing what he is asked to do.

I wish they wouldn't go into shell mode when we have a one score lead. It will bite us at some point. Over the last two weeks it has been pretty clear that the offense moves the ball very well when we are passing on first down and not very well when they are in run, run, pass, punt mode.

Some people point to Taylor and say he cant handle passing more. I don't understand where that comes from because he does a very good job when he is being asked to pass. What is all of a sudden going to change if they ask him to pass more often early? If the dude does a good job, which he has, when passing 24 times... how all of a sudden is he going to be worse passing 6 more times?

People can point out that he has lost more often when passing 30 times or more a game than he has won, but its a totally different thing. When he has been asked to pass that much its because our defense was swiss cheese and the game plan simply wasn't working.

Edited by Scott7975