Empty Seats in Atlanta

JimKelly12

My buddy who is a Falcons season ticket holder explained it thusly: There are so many great bars and amenities and places to stand around watching the game that nobody actually goes to their seats.

I was there. I go to games for football so I was just in my seat. Don't know where the Atlanta fans were but this sounds right. The whole place gives you the feeling that it's an entertainment facility and not a football stadium.

The team is obviously working to get the fans engaged and vocal, but if the fans in the best seats for making noise are in restaurants, the noise isn't going to be there.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't it seem like Atlanta had TONS of open seats all throughout the game? At times only looking 1/2 to 1/4 full?

I was at the game. As were a large contingent of Bills fans. The stadium is magnificent. This was only the 2nd regular season home game. People are walking around checking out the facilities still. It was pretty crowded once the game got started.

Here is the deal with Atlanta as a sports town. (I have lived here for 30 years since getting out of college) The Falcons are very popular, however Atlanta is the meca of College Football in the South. The NFL is popular with all the transients who have moved here over the years. But the natives of the South LOVE College Football. It is the biggest thing going every weekend. Every team from the SEC is well represented. And many from the ACC (Ga Tech, FSU, Clemson) as well. I was at a bar in buckhead right near my townhouse Saturday evening which is considered an Auburn bar on game day. It was packed for Auburn-Miss State. And there are hundreds of bars throughout the Metro area that are packed with fans of every team. If you love college football, it is the place to be.

The Falcons are well liked. But the team has won a lot of late, and the fans have gotten comfortable a bit with the team. Buff-Atl is not much of a rivalry, like Atlanta v Carolina or New Orleans. Most of the Falcons fans were happy to be in their new plush stadium. The victory meant way more to the Bills fans then the loss did to the Falcons fans.

That's not true. It's a young sports town that is just now getting its second generation of fans.

No Atlanta is not Buffalo in regards to their football team., Atlanta is a good sports town that is getting better every year.

the young fans can't afford those games.

Sorry but the more I see these glitzy, billion dollar stadiums the more I like Orchard Park and Lambeau field.

I draw the line at places like Notre Dame where you get a wood plank seat that's about 12 inches wide per person, that's too uncomfortable. But these new stadiums are ridiculously over the top.

For 8 games a year and possibly one or two playoff games now and then, it sure seems like overkill to me man.

I was at the game. As were a large contingent of Bills fans. The stadium is magnificent. This was only the 2nd regular season home game. People are walking around checking out the facilities still. It was pretty crowded once the game got started.

Here is the deal with Atlanta as a sports town. (I have lived here for 30 years since getting out of college) The Falcons are very popular, however Atlanta is the meca of College Football in the South. The NFL is popular with all the transients who have moved here over the years. But the natives of the South LOVE College Football. It is the biggest thing going every weekend. Every team from the SEC is well represented. And many from the ACC (Ga Tech, FSU, Clemson) as well. I was at a bar in buckhead right near my townhouse Saturday evening which is considered an Auburn bar on game day. It was packed for Auburn-Miss State. And there are hundreds of bars throughout the Metro area that are packed with fans of every team. If you love college football, it is the place to be.

The Falcons are well liked. But the team has won a lot of late, and the fans have gotten comfortable a bit with the team. Buff-Atl is not much of a rivalry, like Atlanta v Carolina or New Orleans. Most of the Falcons fans were happy to be in their new plush stadium. The victory meant way more to the Bills fans then the loss did to the Falcons fans.

As an Atlanta resident you would be far more informed than I. I figured I'd mention a theory to you. Considering all of the Northeast/Midwest transplants in Atlanta, are there more NFL fans than Falcons fans? People sometimes claim that Atlanta is a good sports city, it may be, but not for hometown team support. I've experienced that Atlanta is a great place to watch college football. After all, it seems like every college graduate from the rural Deep South relocates to Atlanta.

That's not true. It's a young sports town that is just now getting its second generation of fans.

No Atlanta is not Buffalo in regards to their football team., Atlanta is a good sports town that is getting better every year.

Atlanta as a professional sports town sucks & always has sucked. They couldn't even sell out the Braves playoff games towards the end of their run. Stop making excuses. Yesterday was a flat out embarrassment for Blank. 50% of the seats were empty in a Brand New Stadium, the nicest stadium in the league representing a team that is favored to go to the Super Bowl. Maybe Blank should start charging a bit more for PSLs. That should bring the crowds in, either that or just have Alabama play their every weekend.

It was LOUD but there were lots of empty seats. The guy that worked for the Falcons said that it was somewhere between 60-40 and 70-30 FALCONS FANS.

It was more like 40% falcons fans, 20% bills fans, 40% fans imitating empty seats.

There were empty seats all over the NFL this week and I suspect it's a trend. Only the NFL could manage to screw up a cash cow like this. Brilliant strategy getting every team to protest.

that is the real reason.. all the other BS offered up is denial.. well said :thumbsup:

Edited by dwight in philly

I noticed that too ... but then I figured the team color was the same color as the seats and maybe I wasn't seeing the whole picture. Later in game (4th QTR) then I could see the empty seats. Maybe they are all up eating the cheaper concession priced foods/drinks? The owner made sure to keep prices reasonable.

Atlanta as a professional sports town sucks & always has sucked. They couldn't even sell out the Braves playoff games towards the end of their run. Stop making excuses. Yesterday was a flat out embarrassment for Blank. 50% of the seats were empty in a Brand New Stadium, the nicest stadium in the league representing a team that is favored to go to the Super Bowl. Maybe Blank should start charging a bit more for PSLs. That should bring the crowds in, either that or just have Alabama play their every weekend.

It was more like 40% falcons fans, 20% bills fans, 40% fans imitating empty seats.

Agree. People are reading too much into this. Atlanta fans are simply apathetic about their football team. If the Falcons played a scrimmage against Bama, it would be the hottest ticket in the history of Atlanta.

And I'm not sure if this was already said or not, but I have to add that the harmonica rendition of the national anthem was one of the all-time worst performances I've ever heard. It was terrible

I'm old and a veteran , I thought it was a great rendition.

It's well known that Atlanta isn't a great sports town.

Back when the Braves were winning a dozen NL East championships in a row, they weren't selling out NLCS games. That blows me away.