WEEK 3 VS. DEN ALL 22- OLINE/QB UNFORCED ERROR REVIEW

Bocephuz

If it's the play I remember, there was a guy running right at him, so he tried to float an arc over the rusher and badly mis-threw. It ever there was a time to scramble a few steps clear and toss a bullet, this was it. Instead, Taylor opted for a finesse throw which looked ugly.

That's exactly right. But from TT's POV on the play, he sees literally no one covering Zay. No one is within 10 yards of him. So TT thinks I'll just loft it over this onrushing madman and no matter where it goes Zay will be able to get it. But it threw it way to high. Just missed it when the defender was right in his face. If he thought to duck him like he often does then it would have been an easy 25+ yard completion before anyone got near Jones.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one that picked up the deficient game from the tight ends in pass pro.

I didn't notice it as much in the live broadcast ..but wow.. it was bad in rewatch

Yeah, I think an untouched defender who causes a rushed/bad throw is the definition of a forced error, not unforced.

When TT rolls out .. especially on a naked bootleg.. he probably knows he is going to have an unblocked end or LB to contend with. Technically it is his responsibility to work around that guy..pump fake.. whatever.. but it is tough to expect him to win those one on one situations every time. There were a few times where the unblocked guy ( usually Von Miller) won.. and a few where TT won. I think the baseball error description made earlier is a great way to look at it.

Awesome stuff as usual. I didn't know the tight ends were part of the pass protection problem but it makes sense. Luckily we just faced arguably the two toughest front 7s in football in a row, so it will get much easier from here on out.

That play was so frustrating. Like you said he needed a quarter of a second more to make the throw. I don't really hold it against Tyrod but he probably holds it against himself.

Thanks. 2 tough D's for sure. Very different Ds I would say

Carolina did a lot of stunting .. camouflage to get to the QB.

Denver did a lot more straight up speed rushing.

Either way it could have been a lot worse pass protect wise all things considered. Our line is quite solid.. except for Jordan Mills.

Thanks for the great work and providing the gifs of plays. It is very telling. I for one would like OBD to consider making 2 changes after Bye week.

RG - Look to replace Miller with Ryan Groy who should be better one scheme G and will help run game immediately. Also consider using Dawkins here if Glenn and Henderson play tackle spots.

RT - Assuming Cordy Glenn heals up, let Henderson and Dawkins compete and split time at RT. Loser is Swing tackle. or kick Dawkins in to RG and let him compete there too. Most draft experst had him as a G candidate and I believe he is Richie's long term replacement as devastating as a Run blocker

I'm for giving Groy a shot. Although I don't grade the run blocking.. it's pretty obvious that Miller has struggled doing that and his pass protect is average at best.

Henderson was horrific in the preseason and I doubt he will be any better than Mills once he comes back. I'd really like to see Dawkins get some reps at RT. It may take him a few games to adjust over there as he is a natural RT but these real game reps would be invaluable.

If we have healthy Glenn / steady Dawkins manning the tackles by the end of the year.. we have a chance to have a top 10 O Line

Thanks as usual for the awesome threads and work, sir.

Seems crazy that on one of the more poor blocking days for the line, TT had one of his best days as a passer. Would obviously seem counterintuitive. I assume it's an aberration. If it's not, TT may just be improving more substantial than most thought.

It appears recently TT is making plays when line breaks down and will not be the first scrambling QB Bills had to do this.

EDIT: I just watched it. There was a defender untouched coming right at him. He has to make the pass because Zay was so wide open. But he was being rushed and hurried which caused the bad throw. A quartersecond more time he probably hits it. But it's no excuse. TT has to make that completion. Not sure you would call that an unforced error though.

My neighbors heard all about that play.....

He was wide open and I think he had to make that play because anything within three yards of Zay and it's a catch. But there was a defender right in Tyrod's face if I recall. And hit him. Which clearly caused the misfire. I'm not sure that is an unforced error. He had SO much wiggle room that I think he HAS to make the pass (and I am just going from drinking memory on this, ha), but I thought a defender was right in Tyrod's face as he threw.

This is what I think happened. But still, Jones was so wide open that you have to call it in unforced error. But regardless, that wasn't an easy throw.

Also, on the one unforced error play mentioned in the OP, I remember Taylor seeming really upset at Clay on that. Really upset. Like upset because he expected Clay to cut back inside or something. Anyone else?

If you want out Tackle play to decline even further, start Henderson.

Aside from his lack of personal discipline, he's a consistently poor performer.

Holy crap! I completely forgot that we get Henderson and Powell back after Atlanta. I actually think that will help the team a bit. :thumbsup:

Edited by transplantbillsfan

Amazing job you do Bocephuz , thanks a lot.

Hope Henderson can do better at RT for game 6 , not sure how he will do in this new scheme

The first game this season where he’ll be eligible to play is a week 7 match-up against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Bills will be coming off their bye week prior to that game.

Henderson says that he’ll be with the team for the duration of his suspension. He will attend meetings and continue working out in order to maintain the momentum he’s gained with a strong training camp.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/8/8/16110862/buffalo-bills-training-camp-seantrel-henderson-plan-suspension-jordan-mills-dion-dawkins

Edited by ALF

Amazing job you do Bocephuz , thanks a lot.

Hope Henderson can do better at RT for game 6 , not sure how he will do in this new scheme

The first game this season where he’ll be eligible to play is a week 7 match-up against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Bills will be coming off their bye week prior to that game.

Henderson says that he’ll be with the team for the duration of his suspension. He will attend meetings and continue working out in order to maintain the momentum he’s gained with a strong training camp.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/8/8/16110862/buffalo-bills-training-camp-seantrel-henderson-plan-suspension-jordan-mills-dion-dawkins

Thank you.

Henderson needs to attend some meetings alright.. 12 step meetings and learn how to play OT meetings:) All joking aside.. I have very low expectations that Henderson will unseat or be better than Mills.

Thank you.

Henderson needs to attend some meetings alright.. 12 step meetings and learn how to play OT meetings:) All joking aside.. I have very low expectations that Henderson will unseat or be better than Mills.

I agree with this.

Do you think Dawkins eventually moves to the right side this year or pretty much rotate with Glenn because of the lingering ankle issue?

I agree with this.

Do you think Dawkins eventually moves to the right side this year or pretty much rotate with Glenn because of the lingering ankle issue?

It's really too bad that Glenn has been injured most of preseason/first 3 weeks. Because of that Dawkins probably will play LT for the foreseeable future.. and I have confidence he will fill in just fine... but still it is a damn shame.

Dawkins has had to play most of his practice reps at LT and hasn't been able to work on the right side much due too that. Earlier in the preseason they had Henderson at LT and Dawkins rotating with Mills at RT so I'm pretty sure the team drafted him to learn and eventually take over at RT. I really don't want him to end up being a "swing tackle" . I really hope Glenn gets his ankles healed up soon so Dawkins can start getting valuable RT reps.

He's still just a rookie. Let's give him a little more time. I like this kid. I think he can be one of our best.

He is a rookie so figuring in a learning curve is reasonable. My worry is that TT will stop throwing his way if he has a few more drops like that.

He's still just a rookie. Let's give him a little more time. I like this kid. I think he can be one of our best.

I like him, too, and I haven't lost hope that he'll be a very good WR.

But if the learning curve includes catching passes, that's a concern to me. He's 3/3 for games in which he's missed passes that a professional WR (even a rookie) should catch.

Maybe it's just nerves. I'm far from thinking the kid's no good. Way too early for that. I'm just a tad concerned, that's all.