What if we still had Hogan & Gillislee?

BBills14

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose just that there are better things to discuss than "what ifs" during the regular season. During the off-season, that's expected as there isn't much else going on. Yea, we've traded some guys and didn't resign others. People need to move on and get over it.

The Watkins trade was one of the more controversial/polarizing and questionably timed moves in Bills history...........and that includes the not-so-long ago trading of two future Hall-of-Famers in Marshawn Lynch and Jason Peters.

The perception of this organization as a farm team for the rest of the league has GROWN under the Pegula's........which is disturbing for those expecting change/competence.

It's hard to get over when.........it's not over. :doh:

We would have a greater ability to make plays (to answers the OP's original question). Hogan and Gillislee are good "depth guys." Watkins is the loss that hurts. All of the above though are better options than the trash we are running out there. I think that the Bills need to add 2 WR, a #2 TE and a #2 RB next year. Their skill players are arguably the worst in the league if you exclude Shady. The backs and pass catchers are worse than everyone else with the possible exception of the Jets (and I would probably take theirs).

We would have a greater ability to make plays (to answers the OP's original question). Hogan and Gillislee are good "depth guys." Watkins is the loss that hurts. All of the above though are better options than the trash we are running out there. I think that the Bills need to add 2 WR, a #2 TE and a #2 RB next year. Their skill players are arguably the worst in the league if you exclude Shady. The backs and pass catchers are worse than everyone else with the possible exception of the Jets (and I would probably take theirs).

There is a lot of confusion about what Tyrod Taylor brings to the table.

Put bad talent around him and he'll keep you in games if you have a defense by playing ugly Jauron ball.

Give him playmakers........and he will put up big scores and orchestrate and offense with more big plays than any QB in the league.

The personnel on this offense is poor.........it's amazing that there are people out there that think it's OK to give Mike Tolbert #2 carries........always liked the guy but he'd be out of the league entirely if not for McDermott......Carolina had moved on..........and the impact of having a WR corps that can't beat the CB's in front of them in a matchup league is profound with a guy like Taylor(or pretty much anyone not named Brady or Rodgers).

The Watkins trade was one of the more controversial/polarizing and questionably timed moves in Bills history...........and that includes the not-so-long ago trading of two future Hall-of-Famers in Marshawn Lynch and Jason Peters.

The perception of this organization as a farm team for the rest of the league has GROWN under the Pegula's........which is disturbing for those expecting change/competence.

It's hard to get over when.........it's not over. :doh:

Actually, it is over. Those guys are all gone, playing for other teams, retired...not coming back.

Hopefully your head is okay.

Put bad talent around him and he'll keep you in games if you have a defense by playing ugly Jauron ball.

Give him playmakers........and he will put up big scores and orchestrate and offense with more big plays than any QB in the league.

The personnel on this offense is poor.........it's amazing that there are people out there that think it's OK to give Mike Tolbert #2 carries........always liked the guy but he'd be out of the league entirely if not for McDermott......Carolina had moved on..........and the impact of having a WR corps that can't beat the CB's in front of them in a matchup league is profound with a guy like Taylor(or pretty much anyone not named Brady or Rodgers).

Agree 1,000% Badol. You are right on here with everything. The Bills lack playmakers. Tyrod and Shady (and kind of Clay) are the only guys on offense that can make plays. Playmakers don't need to be superstars either. They just need to be able to make a play or 2 that impacts the outcome of a game. Even guys like Goodwin were capable of that. They are guys that the defense has to account for. Guys that if you make a slight mistake are in the end zone is what we are missing. We need 13+ plays to score every drive. That's the Mike Tolbert offense. It just isn't a sustainable or winning model. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Hogan would be our #1 or #2 on this team while Gillislee would only be getting better. We should have paid up...

TBH I don't think it too much matters who we have on the team if we don't improve the OL play and the play calling

Agree 1,000% Basil. You are right on here with everything. The Bills lack playmakers. Tyrod and Shady (and kind of Clay) are the only guys on offense that can make plays. Playmakers don't need to be superstars either. They just need to be able to make a play or 2 that impacts the outcome of a game. Even guys like Goodwin were capable of that. They are guys that the defense has to account for. Guys that if you make a slight mistake are in the end zone is what we are missing. We need 13+ plays to score every drive. That's the Mike Tolbert offense. It just isn't a sustainable or winning model.

I don't think needing 13+ plays to score is a problem unless the D sinks you or you turn it over and let the other team jack up the score.

The problem is, you need to score.

TBH I don't think it too much matters who we have on the team if we don't improve the OL play and the play calling

I don't think needing 13+ plays to score is a problem unless the D sinks you or you turn it over and let the other team jack up the score.

The problem is, you need to score.

What do you think is more sustainable teams that can score in 3 plays or teams that need 13? It is a rhetorical question. Too much can go wrong when you go 3 yards at a time. Think about baseball, needing 3 hits to get a run isn't as good as hitting a home run with the first batter. You need chunk plays in football. It's all math. Edited by Kirby Jackson

+ 1

Something I don't think I've seen anyone mention with regards to Mike G. Did anyone consider that maybe he told the Bills that he didn't want to re-sign with them, that he wanted to go to a team where he could potentially start or a team with a "shared backfield" Yes I understand the Bills hold all the cards they tender him, he has no choice, yada, yada, yada..... But this isn't Madden or fantasy football, this is professional football players here and few if any teams want a player on their team that doesn't want to be there unless he's so good he justifies the franchise tag. But this is a backup RB here we're talking about.

It was reported that the Bills had negotiations with him, but couldn't agree on a deal, so lets assume Mike told the Bills he wanted to go elsewhere, the Bills could have just let him walk and get nothing. They could as many here have ripped the Bills for not doing, gave him the higher tender which would have meant any team signing him would have been giving up a higher pick to us. The Bills front office has been doing this a bit longer than people on this message board, and likely would know that other teams wouldn't sign him with the higher tender hanging over him, so they would either have to sign him to the higher tender (was it $750k) for a back up RB or let him walk.

So instead the Bills did the smart thing signed him for the lower tender thinking there was a decent chance some other team would bite on him and they would at least get something in return.

I realize this doesn't fit the narrative of many here on this board that are so much smarter than professionals who do this for a living and I'm making alot of assumptions, just like many here do everyday, except somehow their opinion is factual at least in their own mind it is.

Something I don't think I've seen anyone mention with regards to Mike G. Did anyone consider that maybe he told the Bills that he didn't want to re-sign with them, that he wanted to go to a team where he could potentially start or a team with a "shared backfield" Yes I understand the Bills hold all the cards they tender him, he has no choice, yada, yada, yada..... But this isn't Madden or fantasy football, this is professional football players here and few if any teams want a player on their team that doesn't want to be there unless he's so good he justifies the franchise tag. But this is a backup RB here we're talking about.

It was reported that the Bills had negotiations with him, but couldn't agree on a deal, so lets assume Mike told the Bills he wanted to go elsewhere, the Bills could have just let him walk and get nothing. They could as many here have ripped the Bills for not doing, gave him the higher tender which would have meant any team signing him would have been giving up a higher pick to us. The Bills front office has been doing this a bit longer than people on this message board, and likely would know that other teams wouldn't sign him with the higher tender hanging over him, so they would either have to sign him to the higher tender (was it $750k) for a back up RB or let him walk.

So instead the Bills did the smart thing signed him for the lower tender thinking there was a decent chance some other team would bite on him and they would at least get something in return.

I realize this doesn't fit the narrative of many here on this board that are so much smarter than professionals who do this for a living and I'm making alot of assumptions, just like many here do everyday, except somehow their opinion is factual at least in their own mind it is.

You lost me in the 1st paragraph. As a restricted free agent it wasn't his choice. The bills only had to render him and then either someone met the compensation or he stayed. If they gave him the 2nd round tender he'd be in a Bills uniform.

I understand, no team signs him the Bills own him. But did he really want to be here ,and if not do you want to have a backup RB on the team that doesn't really want to be here. And yes in fantasy land it doesn't matter, the Bills own him end of story. But when talking about professional football players, or any sport for that matter, or even in life in general, you don't want people forced into a job they really don't want.

You lost me in the 1st paragraph. As a restricted free agent it wasn't his choice. The bills only had to render him and then either someone met the compensation or he stayed. If they gave him the 2nd round tender he'd be in a Bills uniform.