Trip to Buffalo - need help/recommendations

trip2buffalo

Coming into town for the game with my buddy. I haven't been back home in years. We are staying downtown and I've heard downtown has changed quite a bit.

I was wondering if I could ask for help for any good bar spots with atmosphere and grub? Also good restaurants. We are mid 30s in age.

I'm not looking for anchor bar tourist type joints if you know what I mean. Authentic spots. Appreciate feedback.

If you have been back in years, I cannot imagine that you wouldn't want to hit some of the more famous places. Ted's, Duff's, etc.

WNY natives might suggest other places, and for good reason, but when you return home to wherever you know hail from, they are ALL going to ask if you visited those 'famous' spots....and you're going to say "No I went to some little known bar because a guy on the internet said it was better?" Really?

Cruise all of Canal Side just to check it out.

716 Sports Bar - Liberty Hound Bar - Riverworks (across the river) is really cool, right on the water - Gabriel's Gate for wings (I agree here).

Nickel Creek Café on Clinton & Borden in West Seneca (good outside patio & clam bar).

If you have been back in years, I cannot imagine that you wouldn't want to hit some of the more famous places. Ted's, Duff's, etc.

WNY natives might suggest other places, and for good reason, but when you return home to wherever you know hail from, they are ALL going to ask if you visited those 'famous' spots....and you're going to say "No I went to some little known bar because a guy on the internet said it was better?" Really?

When I go to SF, I spend my time at Fisherman's Wharf, because, well, people know that place.