Perspective from around the NFL Week 2

section122

Back again and I waited for all of the games to be played. This post is meant to give perspective of things happening around the NFL. After this weeks ugly performance and following meltdown here I think this might help a bit. Tyrod (and the entire offense) played terribly no excuses let me get that out there before I begin the post. This is meant to supply perspective as many people don't have the time to pay attention to the rest of the league and expect perfection from the Bills while not paying attention to the rest of the league. I will focus offensively on teams with supposed "franchise qbs." since Tyrod is the worst qb in the NFL and has played himself out of a job already.

So here we go:

Even with the 3 points scored in game 2 the Bills are still averaging more points per game than preseason playoff picks Cincy, NYG, Seattle, and Houston.

Buffalo sits at 27th in passing yards per game ahead of Baltimore (Flacco) and Seattle (Wilson).

Buffalo sits at 24th in ypg ahead of Carolina, Seattle, Cincy, NYG, among others.

Buffalo still sits at 8th best rushing team in the NFL.

Buffalo sits at 14th in 3rd down conversions (40%) ahead of KC, Dallas, Seattle, New Orleans, NYG, Washington, Pittsburgh, and Cincy.

The offense was bad make no mistake but surprisingly even with the small sample size skewing numbers for all teams the Bills find themselves middle of the pack. This Denver game though might push these numbers down even further :bag:

Now for the hot button guy:

Tyrod is 22nd in ypa ahead of Eli, Kirk Cousins, Dak Prescott, Andy Dalton, and Russel Wilson

Tyrod is 17th in QB rating ahead of Cam, Eli, Cousins, Mariota, Dak, and Russel Wilson

Tyrod is 13th in completions over 20 yards ahead of Eli, Rivers, Flacco, Stafford, and Russel Wilson.

Tyrod is 11th in td% ahead of Brees, Cam, Matt Ryan, Dak, Jameis, A Rodgers, Cousins, and Palmer.

Tyrod has a better int% (both of these numbers - td and int - take in to account attempts per) Aaron Rodgers, Dak, Wentz, Eli, Flacco, Palmer, and Dalton

Those are a lot of "franchise QBs" that Tyrod is performing better than. Obviously there are several guys that he is only better than at 1 or 2 statistics which don't mean much but Eli, Cam, Flacco, Dak, Andy Dalton, and Russel Wilson all appear in multiple statistics. I wonder if their fan bases are pushing for the backups to come in? :nana: (I keed I keed)

Team Defense

Buffalo has the 2nd best defensively in ypg. Only behind Carolina.

Buffalo has the 8th best passing defense (Carolina 2nd).

Buffalo has the 5th best rush defense.

Buffalo is giving up the 4th fewest ppg defensively (Carolina 1st).

McDermott and Frasier have this defense turned around quickly however it will be interesting to see what happens to these numbers especially the pass defense as there are several excellent qbs coming up. Huge indictment of Rex imo.

So I hope after reading through this you see that even in a transition year the Bills are right about middle of the pack (so familiar) and the sky isn't quite falling as much as maybe you thought. We will see what week 3 brings as that Denver defense is SCARY! Go Bills!

Tyrod played terribly no excuses.

I think the Saints might end up being the worst team in the league. Sean Payton and Mickey Loomis have gotten by on reputation for years and I think this year it finally implodes.

The Giants look and play old.

Carson Palmer should have retired in the offseason.

The empty stadiums are becoming noticeable. The Chargers and Rams play to half filled stadiums and the Falcons looked like they had less than a full stadium for their home opener.

I think the Saints might end up being the worst team in the league. Sean Payton and Mickey Loomis have gotten by on reputation for years and I think this year it finally implodes.

The empty stadiums are becoming noticeable. The Chargers and Rams play to half filled stadiums and the Falcons looked like they had less than a full stadium for their home opener.

Yeah 10 years later Payton isn't quite as innovative. It blows my mind they can't put a defense around Brees. With a qb like that I would expect the team to kind of skimp on weapons and beef up the d but so many of their defensive fa signings don't work out.

Eli is playing bad but his o-line is doing him no favors. If you watched last night you saw a ghost sack him. He feels pressure that isn't there which is never good for a qb.

Agree about Palmer he wasn't good last year. I can't believe the Cardinals brought him back as the guy.

The Chargers not selling out the first game ever is incredible to me. I don't know if it is an indictment on Spanos, the league, or Carson but a bad look either way.

Good post, OP. It's early yet but it's still nice to get an idea of where things are for this team after two weeks.

Numbers-wise, it's interesting to see where TT is at. One guy I wouldn't hold him up against would be Dalton. Not sure if the change at OC will help but that dude has been downright abysmal this season so far. I wonder how much longer that'll go on for before they try McCarron.

Hopefully this defense can continue to play the way they've been playing. It's hard to find a reason why they wouldn't. There are several players still there from 2014 who are familiar with the 4-3 and then the other positions have been filled with players who fit that scheme. So, in theory, they should continue to play like they have. I'm not a huge fan of them giving up big plays in the middle of the field but it seems to be in line with what I read earlier this year re: McDermott's defenses. They will give up some yards at times but they tighten up in the red zone and force field goals.

Still so early in the season, hard to have a super clear picture. Things could always be better or worse. Interested to see where they stack up after Denver. I would expect them to at least find the end zone.

Agree about the picture not forming yet. I just go crazy when the firm narratives are driven without paying attention to the rest of the league.

The only thing this " perspective" provides is to see just how much competition the Bills actually could have for coveted draft position. That elite QB may not be so easy to come by, even with an extra pick. After 17 years ( and counting) of crap, it's not crazy for fans to want to see some competent football. Pointing out bad starts by teams that have been good , at least more recently than the Bills, does little to reduce the agony. I'd rather see the Bills achieve great things than count how many teams regress closer to their level.

Agree about the picture not forming yet. I just go crazy when the firm narratives are driven without paying attention to the rest of the league.

And just what does the rest of the league have to do with the Bills being a good football team? We've seen good football before, largely from other teams. It still looks the same. Who cares how few or how many teams are actually playing it? Doesn't change what the Bills are.

The Cardinals are a team that have gotten very old, very fast.

Eli and the Giants look horrible.

Seahwawks offense looks horrible.

Bengals offense looks horrible.

Edited by bobobonators

Wilson looked like garbage the start of last year too, difference is those teams get hot down the stretch while we fade away.

Something to be said about having a system and structure in place. How long have Pete Carroll and Bevell been there? That system has been the same on the offensive side now, for at least 5-6 years.

Wilson has had the same HC and OC his entire career.

Tyrod averages a new OC every 10 games he's been at Buffalo, despite the offense never being the main problem since he's been here.

Greg Bedard "can we talk about for a second Stephon Gilmore getting shoved down on one switch route and then sort of just staying on the ground for an extra 3 or 4 seconds on his knees just watching the play, not getting up, chasing down the field til way after, ehhhhhh that was a little Buffaloish!!!"

Bahahaha Gilmore

Offence is way down in the NFL so far. A lot of people hate it and find it boring, but I actually love it. I would rather see a 20-17 hard fought game, than a 42-35 game in which defences are non existent

Fans cant be pleased period. If its a high scoring game then the NFL sucks because of all the rule changes. If its a low scoring game the NFL sucks because there are no good QB's in this league. Its a reflection of society in general: complain about everything.