Sammy watch

dave mcbride

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This could be a huge contradiction of terms.

Many people ARE arguing that HE WAS the reason that Whaley didn't exercise the 5th year option and then Beane traded him.

Gerry: Not sure what you mean by this. Whaley was effectively neutered and had no say over what to do with Watkins' option, right? Or am I misreading?

Alden Gonzalez ESPN Staff Writer

Jared Goff spoke to Sammy Watkins about pulling up midway through his deep route. "He was a little bit confused on what we were doing," Goff said. "It's nothing that can't be fixed overnight. It's not characteristic from him at all. I don't expect that to happen."

Alden Gonzalez ESPN Staff Writer

Jared Goff spoke to Sammy Watkins about pulling up midway through his deep route. "He was a little bit confused on what we were doing," Goff said. "It's nothing that can't be fixed overnight. It's not characteristic from him at all. I don't expect that to happen."

Kind of a backhanded knock on Watkins there - basically stating that he knew Watkins gave up on the play (which he did). Not to excuse Watkins, but he was at least double- and sorta triple-covered on the play.

Kind of a backhanded knock on Watkins there - basically stating that he knew Watkins gave up on the play (which he did). Not to excuse Watkins, but he was at least double- and sorta triple-covered on the play.

He definitely quit on the route and must have been thinking that Goff wasn't coming to him. Has to run hard all the way to the end of the route regardless. I watched the end of the game and Sammy was in during the final stretches of the game when the Rams were trying to win the game.

6 targets in last 2 games, on the sidelines at crunch time...

Being on the sidelines during important stretches of the game I believe is yet another piece of the puzzle. Why would he not be out there in 3 WR set formations in the 4th quarter when they desperately needed to get some points? Was he injured? Was he not best suited to run those routes? Was he gassed? Or was it simply they had more confidence in their other receivers for those plays at that time?

He definitely quit on the route and must have been thinking that Goff wasn't coming to him. Has to run hard all the way to the end of the route regardless. I watched the end of the game and Sammy was in during the final stretches of the game when the Rams were trying to win the game.

Yeah but didn't contribute. I didn't like the Sammy trade but you have to admit this is odd. If he truly is an elite type guy he should be getting a lot more looks.

Being on the sidelines during important stretches of the game I believe is yet another piece of the puzzle. Why would he not be out there in 3 WR set formations in the 4th quarter when they desperately needed to get some points? Was he injured? Was he not best suited to run those routes? Was he gassed? Or was it simply they had more confidence in their other receivers for those plays at that time?

i don't know but the would be GW TD pass went to Cooper Kupp, who should have caught it. I think that's Goff's boy. Woods is his second favorite. From what we've seen if Sammy when he was here, I think he makes that catch. Edited by YoloinOhio

Goff needs to get over his Sherman-itis if he is going to win in that division.

Tyrod and Watkins ground up the "still elite" Revis and put him in the freezer in the finale of the 2015 season.........and Revis came out freezer burned in 2016. :death:

Goff needs to get over his Sherman-itis if he is going to win in that division.

Tyrod and Watkins ground up the "still elite" Revis and put him in the freezer in the finale of the 2015 season.........and Revis came out freezer burned in 2016. :death:

What are Sammy's life time stats vs the Patriots?

Gerry: Not sure what you mean by this. Whaley was effectively neutered and had no say over what to do with Watkins' option, right? Or am I misreading?

We can debate forever about how much power Whaley still had in February, but the bottom line is that the team decided to move on from Sammy at that time and pulled the trigger in August. Those decisions aren't made without Pegula's blessing. So when a trade occurs that doesn't make any football sense, you have to look behind the scenes for the real reason.

So far, Sammy's production in LA is showing why the Bills were down on him, and if you believe what Boyst has been intimating, much more will come out in due time.

We can debate forever about how much power Whaley still had in February, but the bottom line is that the team decided to move on from Sammy at that time and pulled the trigger in August. Those decisions aren't made without Pegula's blessing. So when a trade occurs that doesn't make any football sense, you have to look behind the scenes for the real reason.

So far, Sammy's production in LA is showing why the Bills were down on him, and if you believe what Boyst has been intimating, much more will come out in due time.

That may welll be the case, but I do dispute the idea that Whaley had any power after McDermott was hired. He was kept on to ensure the smooth running of the draft, and had no say beyond that. That's my take and I'm stickin' to it, at least with regard to Whaley.

Re: Sammy, you've been saying a version of the above for a while, and I think that you may well be right (not saying it was the right decision to move him, btw - that's a separate issue).

Edited by dave mcbride

That may welll be the case, but I do dispute the idea that Whaley had any power after McDermott was hired. He was kept on to ensure the smooth running of the draft, and had no say beyond that. That's my take and I'm stickin' to it, at least with regard to Whaley.

Agreed, but I would say he had no real power after THE press conference, everything after that was just for show.