No Mention of St. Doug's Debut in Jax?

H2o

I said they have a good unit, but its not one of those rare units like the 85 Bears, 2000 Ravens, 2014 Broncos, etc. Its not a knock on the D per se, but I do feel they get over valued in terms of how tough or good Houston as a team will be because the offense is just that much of a liability. If there was ever a team that should have brought in Kap its Houston. He is way better than Savage, and Watson could have sat more this year. And they could have really started to dial in the type of Offense they want to run for Watson having Kap out there because they are similar style QB's.

The Texans have had a Top 10 defense in five of the last six seasons. But it's nearly impossible to maintain that level of success on that side of the ball because it's dependent on so many pieces. It's not at all surprising that they could take a step back in 2017 even with a healthy Watt all season.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watson and Kaep are not similar style QB's.

Their defense, sans JJ Watt, carried the Brocketship to the playoffs last year. I think they've proven themselves to be a defense able to carry a bad offense. Because, they already did that without their best player.

The only reason Houston made the playoffs last year was mostly because Mariota broke his legs against the Jags and they lost that game. So lets not get carried away with Houston, they snuck in the last 2 years with 9 wins in a weak division and greatly benefited the last 2 years to injuries to the better QB's in their division.

And Watson and Kaep are similar QB's in terms of offensive design. No one said they are the same quality of QB, but they possess a similar skill set between being a dual threat, much more so than Savage and Watson. With Kap as the QB instead of Savage, they could have implemented a scheme that would translate well into what they want to run with Watson. Not to mention, Kaep has already taken a team VERY similar to Houston to a SB and almost a win in SF. Tough D, with some talent at WR. He would be a significant upgrade to Tom Savage to win this year and they could have groomed Watson more.

The Texans have had a Top 10 defense in five of the last six seasons. But it's nearly impossible to maintain that level of success on that side of the ball because it's dependent on so many pieces. It's not at all surprising that they could take a step back in 2017 even with a healthy Watt all season.

Agreed.

The only reason Houston made the playoffs last year was mostly because Mariota broke his legs against the Jags and they lost that game. So lets not get carried away with Houston, they snuck in the last 2 years with 9 wins in a weak division and greatly benefited the last 2 years to injuries to the better QB's in their division.

And Watson and Kaep are similar QB's in terms of offensive design. No one said they are the same quality of QB, but they possess a similar skill set between being a dual threat, much more so than Savage and Watson. With Kap as the QB instead of Savage, they could have implemented a scheme that would translate well into what they want to run with Watson. Not to mention, Kaep has already taken a team VERY similar to Houston to a SB and almost a win in SF. Tough D, with some talent at WR. He would be a significant upgrade to Tom Savage to win this year and they could have groomed Watson more.

Agreed.

They still have a weak division and injuries to some of the better QB's.

I guess I don't see why Houston's D can't do it three years in a row.

They still have a weak division and injuries to some of the better QB's.

I guess I don't see why Houston's D can't do it three years in a row.

I didn't say they can't win that division, although I do think its going to be the Titans barring no injury to Mariota again.

This has totally gotten off track. How this came up was because I said I am still bearish on the Jags because I am not impressed by beating up on Houston because I don't think they are as good as their reputation is. While I think they have a good defense, I don't think the defense is good enough to make up for really bad offense, and they have a pretty bad offense right now. This isn't the 2014 Broncos we are talking about that was able to win the SB with the worst passing attack in the NFL that season and in SB history for a winning team.

So at the end of the day, good win for the Jags, but I wasn't impressed enough to change my bearish stance on them because I don't see Houston as all that good in the first place. Might change with Watson at the helm now, but they were not going anywhere with Savage this year.

The other factor with Houston's defense was the Coordinator change. Romeo Crennell might not be a good Head Coach but he has consistently fielded good defenses as a coordinator. Mike Vrabel is no doubt an impressive guy and comes across as a real leader and I know Crennell is still on staff but being a consultant and the man calling the D are two very different things.

Doug is actually a decent coach. He will make Jacksonville more competitive then it has been in a long time.

Ah, we forget he was somewhat successful here in Buffalo. He just wasn't very likable. And if he a varsity level offensive coordinator while he was here, they could have been a playoff team.

Ah, we forget he was somewhat successful here in Buffalo. He just wasn't very likable. And if he a varsity level offensive coordinator while he was here, they could have been a playoff team.

Doug Marrone's record as Buffalo HC: 15-17 (.469 winning percentage)

Rex Ryan's record as Buffalo HC: 15-16 (.484 winning percentage)

tenor.gif

Edited by Wayne Arnold