A few thought about the Jets game. In no particular order

Virgil

That decision, to me, seemed like it was made with an eye towards the marching orders from the front office: don't try too hard to win.

Then what are they doing calling timeouts on the ensuing drive?

Also, I could believe that if Bowles hadn't been so heinously bad at managing the clock in previous seasons. His blunders with the game clock at the end of the half in Week 17 of the 2015 season, when they were playing for their playoff lives against a dead-to-rights Bills team, were legendary.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't buy the notion that Bowles is in on the tanking theory. He'd have to be in on it which implies that they are committing to at least another 4 more years to him. I don't see that as being the case. Odds are this is his last year with the team.

Also, I could believe that if Bowles hadn't been so heinously bad at managing the clock in previous seasons. His blunders with the game clock at the end of the half in Week 17 of the 2015 season, when they were playing for their playoff lives against a dead-to-rights Bills team, were legendary.

I think you're basically right, but keep this in mind: losing close games makes them look slightly better than losing by big scores. Coaches care about perception. I know that sounds illogical because the object is to do everything possible to win, but it happens so often that it has to be true, right?

Bowles is Caldwell-esque.

Just gaming this out a little more: Bowles' isn't going to last, and his next job will likely be as DC. Limiting scoring opportunities will boost his team's ranking in the points allowed category, which he can then hawk to future potential employers in interviews.

In order to distribute to the weapons in a West Coast offense, the quarterback must be able to decipher coverages and pinpoint their weaknesses. On the following play Taylor does a great job of deciphering the coverage, coming off his first two reads in his progression, then delivering a pass to an area that would maximize his WR’s yards after the catch.

Sit back and watch it unfold.

http://www.cover1.net/taylor-works-progressions/