Michael Bennett suing Las Vegas police department

HappyDays

He's thanking them because they are letting him go and finally coming to reason. That video doesn't prove anything. I'm not saying Bennett is right either. As usual, Deadspin has the right take.

https://deadspin.com/new-michael-bennett-video-shows-exactly-whatever-you-wa-1819024503

The same cognitive bias that leads the black community to overestimate the racial prejudice it faces is what leads you to view this incident through this lens.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same cognitive bias that leads the black community to overestimate the racial prejudice it faces is what leads you to view this incident through this lens.

I don't know if he was racially profiled or if he was abused by police. If I had to guess I would say no. But that video doesn't prove anything.

So now racism is like campus rape, and is incumbent on the accused to prove their innocence?

You have to start with the mindset that racism [against non-whites] is ubiquitous, then actively look for it, and make it the default presumption anywhere it could exist. Otherwise you could miss it.

My argument is that video does not prove Bennett's accusation of racism

Your argument is that video does not prove the LVPD is not guilty of racism

Burden of proof is on the accuser, not the accused.

My argument is a bunch of Racist Deniers here were using the video to prove that there's was no racism. And it did no such thing.

The Racist Deniers here are doing exactly what they hate in Racist Accusers. They hate the fact that everything that doesn't mean racism is somehow look at and accused by minorities and the left as racist. And it's a good if not great point a lot of the time. But what they don't see or realize is they are doing the exact same thing, the opposite way, and it comes across to the minorities and liberals as being racist, every time, because it appears as if they are denying it exists. And then they will deny it. Just like minorities and lefties will deny it.

No.

That. Video. Doesn't. Prove. Anything.

The video doesn't prove anything. It didn't show everything so we have no idea what happened in between.

It certainly called into question some claims such as everyone was running. And they singled him out because he was black. It appears he was singled out because he was the only one running across the aisle behind the slot machines.

The part that amazes me is he told the cops he had no id and was Michael Bennet of the Seahawks, look it up. They did and looked at a small picture and said, yeah sure and let him go. Anyone else they probably would have said, we'll take you downtown and find out who you are. NFL player privelege?

Edited by reddogblitz

Common sense would indicate that Bennett was lying. If he was racially profiled or treated poorly he would not have offered his hand for a handshake. It appeared that at the time of that handshake he realized that the cops were just doing their job. I guess he subsequently decided that being an NFL star wasn't enough and he needed to get am extra 15 minutes of fame. Anyway, his actions aren't much different than the black guy who burns down a black church so it can be blamed on whites and further racial tensions.

He's thanking them because they are letting him go and finally coming to reason. That video doesn't prove anything. I'm not saying Bennett is right either. As usual, Deadspin has the right take.

https://deadspin.com/new-michael-bennett-video-shows-exactly-whatever-you-wa-1819024503

I don't know if he was racially profiled or if he was abused by police. If I had to guess I would say no. But that video doesn't prove anything.

Wrong!

Let's roll back the tape!

"Las Vegas police officers singled me out for doing nothing more than being a black man"

WRONG. They singled him out because he ducked out an alley in a shooting situation.

"I'm gonna die for no other reason than I am black and my skin color is somehow a threat"

WRONG.

"Until they realized I was ... Michael Bennett"

WRONG. He told them he was Michael Bennett when they asked him for ID, when they were already releasing him.

"I was ultimately released without an legitimate justification for the Officers' abusive conduct"

WRONG. They apologized for grabbing him and explained that in an active shooting situation, they have to act fast.

He's a !@#$ stick liar, or a race-baiting retard.

My argument is a bunch of Racist Deniers here were using the video to prove that there's was no racism. And it did no such thing.

The Racist Deniers here are doing exactly what they hate in Racist Accusers. They hate the fact that everything that doesn't mean racism is somehow look at and accused by minorities and the left as racist. And it's a good if not great point a lot of the time. But what they don't see or realize is they are doing the exact same thing, the opposite way, and it comes across to the minorities and liberals as being racist, every time, because it appears as if they are denying it exists. And then they will deny it. Just like minorities and lefties will deny it.

This is the "But Obama did..." of race bait hacks.

IDGAF if leftist retards or you think I'm "denying" racism exists. It's your prerogative to act like a retard. I don't have to cater to their idiocy.

Edited by jmc12290

Wrong!

Let's roll back the tape!

"Las Vegas police officers singled me out for doing nothing more than being a black man"

WRONG. They singled him out because he ducked out an alley in a shooting situation.

"I'm gonna die for no other reason than I am black and my skin color is somehow a threat"

WRONG.

"Until they realized I was ... Michael Bennett"

WRONG. He told them he was Michael Bennett when they asked him for ID, when they were already releasing him.

"I was ultimately released without an legitimate justification for the Officers' abusive conduct"

WRONG. They apologized for grabbing him and explained that in an active shooting situation, they have to act fast.

He's a !@#$ stick liar, or a race-baiting retard.

This is the "But Obama did..." of race bait hacks.

IDGAF if leftist retards or you think I'm "denying" racism exists. It's your prerogative to act like a retard. I don't have to cater to their idiocy.

Your WRONG answers are WRONG on each attempt as far as my point you responded to that the tape proves nothing.

1. Everyone was running. They didn't chase white guys running. They show them chasing black guy. It doesn't prove anything.

2. That's what Bennett said he FELT like. That tape doesn't disprove what he felt like with a gun at his head at all.

3. Wtf? They weren't releasing him at all. They had him in the car to take him away. Then he gave them his phone and they looked and then they let him go.

4. He was obviously talking about putting a gun to his head, moron. They didn't apologize for the that.

Again I am not saying this was racial profiling. We convenientlly didn't see the most important part. Again if I had to guess I would say no. He looked like he could have been a legitimate subject. But I can't look at schitty explanations as truth like this crap.

bwahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahah

hahahhhahahahahahahhahahaha

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

IN YOUR FACE NANCY GRACE.

Bennett, big fat liar.

Paging everyone who was on their high ground, please come back!

Pretty sure he's whining about his rights being violated.

This thread should be locked immediately because your post belongs somewhere far, far away from 2017.

well, i think my post is pretty damn fantastic right about now.

Dude, no.

dude, yes.

i'm right

bow down and praise me.

does it suck when you all think so little of me and i'm right over and over again.

get used to it.

I'd be pretty upset if I had to go through that. I guess props to those who wouldn't, but my guess is most human beings would be scared $#!+less if put in that situation. No reason any innocent person should have to fear getting their "f-ing head blown off." How saying something like that helps an active shooter situation is beyond me. Seems closer to provoking than protecting.

EDIT: Haven't seen the video, so can't comment on that.

did you watch the video yet?

Cops don't have the legal authority to cause pain and suffering while arresting a compliant individual. The big question is on the profiling. If he was seen as a suspect for legitimate reasons he will have a hard time winning this case. If it was more random than that and the cops were acting on intuition, he has a very very good case. Still waiting for a police statement.

any updates on your thoughts?

So when is the last time you were put in handcuffs and laying on the ground when a PO came over to you and threatened to blow your head off? And of course you are NOT black i presume....

hi, wanna revisit your thoughts? it'd be fun.

With no more evidence than Bennett's letter, you seem to be pretty certain that officers' actions were justified. I see no evidence support or discredit your assumptions.

Personally, I'll wait and see; but it sure sounds like it could have been a very unpleasant experience for anyone.

clear take, reasonable take. few of those here and it paid off!

If I only had a brain!

so did you find a brain yet? would you like to come back and own it?

just simply bow down and kiss the ring. worship me. i am God.

Lots of unamerican pieces of **** in this thread. I served my country so NO govt agent would violate your rights. Cops are violating everyone's rights left and right, black and white. If you defend any of these actions you better be moving to Russia where the state can do with you as they please. This is !@#$ing America, and the govt is killing and harassing its own citizens. Grow the !@#$ up you bunch of idiots!

wanna update your thoughts here, princess?

So.....from what I get from the regulars here.....

Almost everything the government does is wrong...except when it comes to police and black men.....

well, this isn't shocking anymore

This whole incident is why body cameras are so important nowadays as almost all people have a smart phone to record anything. My fear still with the whole "hands up don't shoot" narrative is that cops will be less reluctant to intervene in potentially dangerous situations. Body cameras at least give these cops their side of the story. If this happened 20 years ago, Bennett would pry have won the lawsuit.

Your WRONG answers are WRONG on each attempt as far as my point you responded to that the tape proves nothing.

1. Everyone was running. They didn't chase white guys running. They show them chasing black guy. It doesn't prove anything.

2. That's what Bennett said he FELT like. That tape doesn't disprove what he felt like with a gun at his head at all.

3. Wtf? They weren't releasing him at all. They had him in the car to take him away. Then he gave them his phone and they looked and then they let him go.

4. He was obviously talking about putting a gun to his head, moron. They didn't apologize for the that.

Again I am not saying this was racial profiling. We convenientlly didn't see the most important part. Again if I had to guess I would say no. He looked like he could have been a legitimate subject. But I can't look at schitty explanations as truth like this crap.

You are so intellectually dishonest. "They were pursuing a person of interest fleeing an active shooting situation who was black, you can't prove it wasn't RACISSS."

Not only are you dishonest but you're wrong. Watch the tape again. 1:20 mark.

Cop 1: "Ok, you're not under arrest, we're going to get you out of there, ok? But we had to make sure because right now all we know is people are shooting in there is what we're hearing, and you're running away. So we're making sure it's not you. Now come out." (Bennett exits car). "And if its not you, we don't have time to be talking to you."

Cop 2: "I just need a name, do you have id on you?"

MB: "Nah man, my name's Michael Bennett Seattle Seahakws, look it up."

Wow, sure sounds like they were gonna "take him away" huh Kelly? Imagine if he wasn't Michael Bennett? The black cop might've executed him on the street for the crime of being black, clearly. THE TAPE DOESN'T PROVE OTHERWISE.

Edited by jmc12290

You are so intellectually dishonest. "They were pursuing a person of interest fleeing an active shooting situation who was black, you can't prove it wasn't RACISSS."

Not only are you dishonest but you're wrong. Watch the tape again. 1:20 mark.

Cop 1: "Ok, you're not under arrest, we're going to get you out of there, ok? But we had to make sure because right now all we know is people are shooting in there is what we're hearing, and you're running away. So we're making sure it's not you. Now come out." (Bennett exits car). "And if its not you, we don't have time to be talking to you."

Cop 2: "I just need a name, do you have id on you?"

MB: "Nah man, my name's Michael Bennett Seattle Seahakws, look it up."

Wow, sure sounds like they were gonna "take him away" huh Kelly? Imagine if he wasn't Michael Bennett? The black cop might've executed him on the street for the crime of being black, clearly. THE TAPE DOESN'T PROVE OTHERWISE.

They didnt say we are getting you out of here meaning we are letting you go, they said we were getting you out of there, meaning out of Flamingo Blvd and the street where traffic was coming. Then the officers that took him down gave him to other officers that put him in the car. Thats what the guy doing the press conference explained.

They didnt say we are getting you out of here meaning we are letting you go, they said we were getting you out of there, meaning out of Flamingo Blvd and the street where traffic was coming. Then the officers that took him down gave him to other officers that put him in the car. Thats what the guy doing the press conference explained.

He wasn't under arrest. They weren't "taking him away," anywhere. Even if he was a normal black guy with ID.

This whole incident is why body cameras are so important nowadays as almost all people have a smart phone to record anything. My fear still with the whole "hands up don't shoot" narrative is that cops will be less reluctant to intervene in potentially dangerous situations. Body cameras at least give these cops their side of the story. If this happened 20 years ago, Bennett would pry have won the lawsuit.

was the lawsuit actually filed? He will still get a settlement ... Just watch