G3 Solar Storm

/dev/null

While everybody has been focused on the Tropics there is a massive solar storm heading our way as well with an aurora visible in the northern United States

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/g3-watch-6-and-7-september-2017-due-cme-arrival

We saw the northern lights (greenish blue) while on a fishing trip last week up in northern Quebec. We've seen them up there before, but not nearly as brilliant as this time.

Two solar storms back to back equaled an 8.0 quake in Mexico and a 5.5 quake in Japan. Those who still think solar activity and seismic activity aren't connected are scrambling today...

Check out the rare earthquake lights:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/mysterious-green-flashes-light-sky-mexico-city-earthquake-084857035.html

I could buy it, electromagnetism being what it is and all.

Yup. And studying the connections could lead to a better/life saving quake prediction system...

I'll save everyone a lot of time: there are no connections. None. Zip. Nada. Niente. Diddly-!@#$ing-squat. There is a stronger correlation between my acid reflux and 8.0+ earthquakes than there is between solar storms and 8.0 earthquakes.

And no, that is NOT me saying my acid reflux cause earthquakes. Don't !@#$ing go there.

I have never found any verifiable connection from solar storms that result in northern lights anything, but there's one thing I've never been able to figure out, and it may be just coincidence.

The night the Icelandic volcano erupted in 2010, the one that shutdown European airspace for a week, I was flying from Miami to London. The US to Europe flights are always at night.

The various routes used would never be anywhere close to an area where the northern lights are visible. There no air traffic control transmissions once out of range, but there is an air-air frequency that all oceanic airplanes monitor to pass along various bits of information, usually turbulence reports or other flight related information or the killing of Bin Laden, European soccer scores or US sports stuff, cockpit to cockpit.

On that evening, everyone was talking about the extent of the northern lights and how no one had ever seen them this far south. Someone commented that there was a significant solar storm three days prior and that must have been the cause.

Anyway, halfway there, we get a message from dispatch about the volcano and that the ash cloud necessitated a change in route to a more southerly option.

Anyway, the largest northern lights coverage I've ever seen was just prior to and during that volcano.

I have never found any verifiable connection from solar storms that result in northern lights anything, but there's one thing I've never been able to figure out, and it may be just coincidence.

The night the Icelandic volcano erupted in 2010, the one that shutdown European airspace for a week, I was flying from Miami to London. The US to Europe flights are always at night.

The various routes used would never be anywhere close to an area where the northern lights are visible. There no air traffic control transmissions once out of range, but there is an air-air frequency that all oceanic airplanes monitor to pass along various bits of information, usually turbulence reports or other flight related information or the killing of Bin Laden, European soccer scores or US sports stuff, cockpit to cockpit.

On that evening, everyone was talking about the extent of the northern lights and how no one had ever seen them this far south. Someone commented that there was a significant solar storm three days prior and that must have been the cause.

Anyway, halfway there, we get a message from dispatch about the volcano and that the ash cloud necessitated a change in route to a more southerly option.

Anyway, the largest northern lights coverage I've ever seen was just prior to and during that volcano.

So it looks like Rhino is right and Tom is wrong?

It could be theoretically possible that the electrostatic properties of volcanic plumes reach high enough in altitude (though the plumes themselves don't) to somehow interact with aurora. I can't see where it's ever been studied, though - all the studies are of dust and aerosols, which don't extend much beyond the stratosphere (if at all). But given that electrical discharge in thunderstorms can cause related discharges (red sprites) at high altitude, I can see where similar discharges in volcanic plumes might interact with aurora at the same altitude.