Cop fired for arresting nurse...

I still wanna hear more to this story. Just odd.

It was a cop he was drawing blood from. Got in accident with trucker. They claim there was no chance of wrongdoing on part of the person he was drawing from... Just covering the bases.

He thought he had "implied consent." Gee, a cop getting the laws wrong that he should be enforcing. Ah... This is just an outlier, no need to hit the law books, especially stuff like the motor vehicle code, they know those messes of laws as clear as the back of their hand.

Implied consent=pissing contest=guy whose enforcement playground one is in and had the gun and cuffs=arrest.

You don't want to get into pissing contest with the Gov't bully who enforces for the Gov't. You will lose in short term.

Is that the lesson we should all submit to? OR, should we teach LEOs the actual law. I know there are ton of laws on books, it's very hard to know them all, but you don't make BS up as you go... Especially in a situation like this. Especially when there is a hospital supervisor on the phone telling you to stop.

But, but... He was only protecting his Blue Brother by getting the blood! So, it's okay!

"The nurse, Alex Wubbels, has not been charged for defending the patient, who was identified as a police officer from Rigby, Idaho.

Salt Lake City police have begun an internal investigation into the incident, and the city's mayor has issued an apology on behalf of the officer."

It was a cop he was drawing blood from. Got in accident with trucker. They claim there was no chance of wrongdoing on part of the person he was drawing from... Just covering the bases.

He thought he had "implied consent." Gee, a cop getting the laws wrong that he should be enforcing. Ah... This is just an outlier, no need to hit the law books, especially stuff like the motor vehicle code, they know those messes of laws as clear as the back of their hand.

Implied consent=pissing contest=guy whose enforcement playground one is in and had the gun and cuffs=arrest.

You don't want to get into pissing contest with the Gov't bully who enforces for the Gov't. You will lose in short term.

Is that the lesson we should all submit to? OR, should we teach LEOs the actual law. I know there are ton of laws on books, it's very hard to know them all, but you don't make BS up as you go... Especially in a situation like this. Especially when there is a hospital supervisor on the phone telling you to stop.

But, but... He was only protecting his Blue Brother by getting the blood! So, it's okay!

"The nurse, Alex Wubbels, has not been charged for defending the patient, who was identified as a police officer from Rigby, Idaho.

Salt Lake City police have begun an internal investigation into the incident, and the city's mayor has issued an apology on behalf of the officer."

Can you explain why you think he "was trying to protect his blue brother by getting blood"? Your post makes little sense to me, and I'm not exactly sure that you know what the implied consent laws are, either.

In this particular case, I have no idea what happened. Anyone not directly involved, and not having an understanding of the fine and complicated intricacies of a states implied consent law, are just spewing nonsense.

I have had personal experience with a nurse refusing to draw blood for me on a drunk suspect who had just crashed and killed a young man. I had a legit case for arresting that nurse for obstructing justice, but I handled it through "political" channels instead to avoid this exact poopstorm. In the end, I got what I needed. ..it just took a couple of extra hours (meanwhile, precious evidence of impairment was metabolizing away). The nurse hid behind HIPPA. Even when I pointed out in HIPPA and Florida Statute where it specifically authorized him to do his job in this case, and draw blood for me, he refused. Incredibly, incredibly frustrating.

Edited by Sig1Hunter

• 3 weeks later...

So that's what he was. A trucker that played weekend warrior cop. I never knew that they had police reserves. Okay, a bit clearer now.

Anyway... Looks like they were going light & easy on the PT.

In this particular case, I have no idea what happened. Anyone not directly involved, and not having an understanding of the fine and complicated intricacies of a states implied consent law, are just spewing nonsense.

One video I saw, showed the nurse talking to someone on the phone, and asking them if they could get her a warrant, even faxing it over, for her to draw blood. So in my opinion, she would have, if they had the proper paperwork and/or authorization.

One video I saw, showed the nurse talking to someone on the phone, and asking them if they could get her a warrant, even faxing it over, for her to draw blood. So in my opinion, she would have, if they had the proper paperwork and/or authorization.

Cops don't need to do that stuff. It's their playground and they can do as they please. They are in a rush, alcohol in somebody's system may be metabolizing away! Be thankful. They serve you first. Your safety is first! Oh wait.

Cops don't need to do that stuff. It's their playground and they can do as they please. They are in a rush, alcohol in somebody's system may be metabolizing away! Be thankful. They serve you first. Your safety is first! Oh wait.

I know you are mocking, but the metabolization of alcohol within the body can be considered as an exigent circumstance that would allow blood to be drawn without a warrant. Generally speaking, States have an implied consent law in place that allows for law enforcement to draw blood from drivers suspected of being under the influence without a warrant in fatal or serious bodily injury wrecks. The Missouri v. McNeely case recently complicated this somewhat and requires law enforcement to get a warrant for blood draws. ..except under certain exigencies. Again, time and metabolization of alcohol / dissipation of evidence are exigencies to be considered.

The interesting thing about this case, is I haven't heard anything about probable cause for the blood draw - either under implied consent, or a warrant. I'm not exactly familiar with Utah laws on the subject, and am just speaking on general terms (dui laws are pretty standard across all states, since the Feds will withhold money from states that don't adopt their NHTSA suggestions). Its possible that Utah attempts to draw on all serious bodily injury or fatal wrecks. In Florida, we need consent, a warrant, or exigent circumstances.

BTW, the safety of the drunk in the hospital is not my concern. They are in a hospital for Cripes sake. My concern is making sure that I get accurate evidence that will lead to an accurate investigation, and if necessary lead to a prosecution to hold them responsible for maiming or killing an innocent person while driving impaired. God forbid you are ever on the wrong side of a drunk driver, I'm sure you would want law enforcement to do everything legally possible to get justice for your loved one.

Edited by Sig1Hunter

I know you are mocking, but the metabolization of alcohol within the body can be considered as an exigent circumstance that would allow blood to be drawn without a warrant. Generally speaking, States have an implied consent law in place that allows for law enforcement to draw blood from drivers suspected of being under the influence without a warrant in fatal or serious bodily injury wrecks. The Missouri v. McNeely case recently complicated this somewhat and requires law enforcement to get a warrant for blood draws. ..except under certain exigencies. Again, time and metabolization of alcohol / dissipation of evidence are exigencies to be considered.

The interesting thing about this case, is I haven't heard anything about probable cause for the blood draw - either under implied consent, or a warrant. I'm not exactly familiar with Utah laws on the subject, and am just speaking on general terms (dui laws are pretty standard across all states, since the Feds will withhold money from states that don't adopt their NHTSA suggestions). Its possible that Utah attempts to draw on all serious bodily injury or fatal wrecks. In Florida, we need consent, a warrant, or exigent circumstances.

BTW, the safety of the drunk in the hospital is not my concern. They are in a hospital for Cripes sake. My concern is making sure that I get accurate evidence that will lead to an accurate investigation, and if necessary lead to a prosecution to hold them responsible for maiming or killing an innocent person while driving impaired. God forbid you are ever on the wrong side of a drunk driver, I'm sure you would want law enforcement to do everything legally possible to get justice for your loved one.

The hospitals in my area take blood at intake. Ill advise Im in the process of getting a search warrant and they will have a tox and bac report ready for me when it comes though. Its never been an issue in court and it keeps me from running into any issues at the hospital.

The hospitals in my area take blood at intake. Ill advise Im in the process of getting a search warrant and they will have a tox and bac report ready for me when it comes though. Its never been an issue in court and it keeps me from running into any issues at the hospital.

That's awesome. Unfortunately, most nurses here are extremely hesitant to assist because they don't want to go to court. That's all most care about. Very frustrating.

Do nurses get paid for going to court?

I wouldn't want to go either... Especially if it messed up a swing shift and sleep pattern. Then, imagine if it's on their own time. LoL... You gotta Be kidding?' Go to court? My county (Will) seat is in Joliet. Go there and it's like a distopian society. Nothing but lawyers, cops, and concrete w/,pre-recorded messages blaring out of the loudspeaker in front of the courthouse... Instructing the drones (all the ones that are unlucky enough to have to be there) what the safety protocols are.

The judicial system is already a festering cesspool, a governmental black hole. Not saying your average emergency room is a better, but hey, it's a job!

Yay government! Yay healthcare! Let's merge the two.

Do nurses get paid for going to court?

I wouldn't want to go either... Especially if it messed up a swing shift and sleep pattern. Then, imagine if it's on their own time. LoL... You gotta Be kidding?' Go to court? My county (Will) seat is in Joliet. Go there and it's like a distopian society. Nothing but lawyers, cops, and concrete w/,pre-recorded messages blaring out of the loudspeaker in front of the courthouse... Instructing the drones (all the ones that are unlucky enough to have to be there) what the safety protocols are.

The judicial system is already a festering cesspool, a governmental black hole. Not saying your average emergency room is a better, but hey, it's a job!

Yay government! Yay healthcare! Let's merge the two.

I'm on the fence of whether you are kidding or not. I thought you were, but now I think you might actually be for real. Help me out?

I'm on the fence of whether you are kidding or not. I thought you were, but now I think you might actually be for real. Help me out?

His rambling is something of a fun curiosity in these parts.

He's kind-of PPP's crazy old uncle. Just nod politely and humor him, but don't think too much on what he says.

And whatever you do, don't mention the carp.

His independence is something of a fun curiosity in these parts.

Fixed

You've never been to "Fortress Joliet" have you?

Oh... And 1/2 sarcasm.

He's kind-of PPP's crazy old uncle. Just nod politely and humor him, but don't think too much on what he says.

And whatever you do, don't mention the carp.

Carp scare you, don't they? ;-)

You did mention carp. :-P

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Crazy!

The sound system squawked at 8 a.m., just as the school day was revving up at Worth County High School. The campus was now on lockdown, the announcement said. Neither the teachers nor students at the south Georgia school knew what was going on.

For the next four hours, 40 uniformed officers — the entire staff of the Worth County Sheriff’s Office — fanned through the school in Sylvester, ordering students against the walls of classrooms and hallways, demanding the students hand over their cellphones.

All 900 students were searched, part of a drug sweep ordered by Sheriff Jeff Hobby, according to court documents.

He did not have a warrant. He had a “target list” of 12 suspected drug users. Only three of the names were in school that day, April 14.

By noon, when cellphones were handed back and classes resumed, no drugs had been found.

The sheriff’s full-court press, however, would yield legal consequences — for Hobby and his office. In the days following the sweep, students came forward charging they had been inappropriately groped and manhandled by deputies. A class-action federal civil suit followed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/10/06/georgia-sheriff-deputies-indicted-after-body-searches-of-900-high-school-students/?nid&utm_term=.010a05ac4436

Fixed

Yes, so independent.

Anti-2A...check

Use of the word "deplorable"...check

Think the police exist to "serve" you...check

Thinks Kaep is comparable to the one dude not giving the roman salute at a Nazi rally...check

And that's just in the last 24 hours off the top of my head.