Ranking the Starting QB's Since Kelly

JPL7

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

which one was the last to help lead the (back to back seasons) team to the postseason?

other than that, none really deserve an honorable mention or rank. look at the records aside from '98-'99 and you have your rank.

man, that's a sad list, where did 20 years go? if you're still here after some of those agonizing seasons, you're a die hard.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Doug Flutie

Trent Edwards

Kyle Orton

Tyrod Taylor

Fitz and Trent each had big hits and they weren't the same after. Can I qualify my order by saying I am ranking them before the big hits? Trent probably would have sat out quite a few games with the current concussion rules.

I notice that many people have picked Flutie but nobody has picked Johnson.

I never understood the hype for Bledsoe. He used to clomp around in the backfield as if he was wearing deep sea diving weighted shoes. Like Cuba Gooding, Jr. in Men of Honor.

tumblr_ntilffYXmE1qcv34vo1_500.gif

Who is better as a whole?

Kelly, Kemp, Ferguson & Tyrod

-or-

Brady, Grogan, Eason & ???

Flutie & Bledsoe are washes since they played for both.

Well, yeah, but that kind of misses the point. I guess Kelly (an excellent QB for 11 seasons) + Kemp (excellent for about 4 using the standards for his time) = 15 excellent seasons, which is exactly how many excellent seasons Brady has put up. But there's a difference in degree of excellence there. And Bledsoe had about 6 very good seasons with the Pats, 3 total seasons with the Bills, so it isn't a wash there ...

all i know is i talked myself into liking most of them until they flamed out

:D Same here. Best example: April 2012. I run into some Bills fans at Opening Day baseball game. The following words actually come out of my mouth: "I think Ryan Fitzpatrick is going to take a big step forward as our franchise QB this year. If he hadn't played with bruised ribs in the second half last year I think he'd already be there." And I think I may have said something similar about Trent Edwards too. I guess I should be proud that I never go on the JP Losman bandwagon ... or the Orton or Tyrod bandwagons either ...

Bledsoe is such a weird case to me though. He is like the only guy in the drought era that we still think highly of that wasn't very good. Usually we are pretty good at criticizing Taylor, Fitz, Orton, Flutie and then those other bums that couldn't play. We remember Bledsoe to be a much better player than he was in Buffalo because of that hot start he got off too. In general he was a bad player by the time that he got there and still cost us a 1st. They threw a parade for the guy!!

I think it's simply name recognition. Fans associate the name Bledsoe with being a top notch QB. He came to Buffalo with a reputation already established. This alters fan perspective.

I think it's simply name recognition. Fans associate the name Bledsoe with being a top notch QB. He came to Buffalo with a reputation already established. This alters fan perspective.

He was very good in 2002, but we got him near the end of his career.

When I think of Bledsoe I think 2004 season. After a slow start in part due to some bad luck/bad calls (push out in EZ), we turned it on. Drew played well as we won 8 out of 10 or whatever it was. I was at the Seattle game where we trounced a playoff team. Not sure what his stats or DVAO was, but we were winning and he was doing his part.

That's what I base my #4 rating on.

Edited by reddogblitz

And the Bills were kinda sorta competitive with him at QB. 8-8, 6-10, 9-7. Which doesn't sound like much, but not until Kyle Orton (with a little EJ in there too) did the Bills have another winning season. Like I said, the bar is low ...

Flutie

Taylor

Fitz

Bledsoe

Orton

I beg you guys to go back and look at Bledsoe's Bills tenure after the 1st half of the 1st year. He was AWFUL. We remember his tenure way more fondly than we should.

Same can be said for Orton. Had Sammy not made that incredible behind him one handed catch on the final drive against Detroit, Orton may not have started again. Add the **** show he put on at Oakland, a game I flew from Portland to see that cost us the playoffs. He was mostly awful but with this list still is top 10. Vomit in my mouth

When I think of Bledsoe I think 2004 season. After a slow start in part due to some bad luck/bad calls (push out in EZ), we turned it on. Drew played well as we won 8 out of 10 or whatever it was. I was at the Seattle game where we trounced a playoff team. Not sure what his stats or DVAO was, but we were winning and he was doing his part.

That's what I base my #4 rating on.

I was at Seattle game too

Drew did not play well against the Steelers though. He needed to win that game somehow