The Bills Have the 3rd Oldest Team in the NFL

26CornerBlitz

I didn't realize this was the last year for the NFL and those draft picks next year and after don't matter. ‍♂️

Unless they have to make an RG3 deal to move up to draft their baby Jesus QB.

If that happens, with their average RB age being 29 and their "best" receiver on a 1 year deal, they will be f'd.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This article really shocked me. I thought Beane and McD were building for the fricking future. There's no future in frickin old players!!!

Troll. Stop trolling. We don't need you Boston Pats/Celts here. GTFO

Why did it shock you? Were you unaware of the moves we had made?

I didn't say a five year project. But I do see a 3-4 project. For the sake of making an argument if the Bills draft a legitimate franchise qb next year it is not going to translate into automatic success. QB development and roster additions will still be required. At the minimum that right there is three years in the unappealing but necessary process.

You might not like the 3 to 4 to maybe 5 year time frame but let's put things in perspective: this befuddled franchise has been spinning its flat tires for more than a generation. If you can't handle an obvious reality you are going to continue on the road of aggravation right up to your demise. What did you expect from an organization that hired a fraudster like Rex? A quick mop up job? There is still a lot of residual manure that needs to be cleaned out of the stall before the stench is not so overwhelming. :sick:

No let's put things in REAL perspective.........none of the best, most consistently competitive teams in the NFL got their thru tanking.

New England

Green Bay

Seattle

Pittsburgh

Baltimore

Denver

These teams went from mediocrity to championship level.......often headlined by talent assembled/procured by the previous regime.

THAT is perspective.

An old Roster and no young core to build around.

Yep. This is my concern with this FOs approach. A bad team that is also old. What do we have to latch on to? Who are the up and coming talents that will lift this franchise out of the doldrums? We now have to believe that they all will come from McBeane drafts. I'd bet the under.

I didn't say a five year project. But I do see a 3-4 project. For the sake of making an argument if the Bills draft a legitimate franchise qb next year it is not going to translate into automatic success. QB development and roster additions will still be required. At the minimum that right there is three years in the unappealing but necessary process.

You might not like the 3 to 4 to maybe 5 year time frame but let's put things in perspective: this befuddled franchise has been spinning its flat tires for more than a generation. If you can't handle an obvious reality you are going to continue on the road of aggravation right up to your demise. What did you expect from an organization that hired a fraudster like Rex? A quick mop up job? There is still a lot of residual manure that needs to be cleaned out of the stall before the stench is not so overwhelming. :sick:

There were highly regarded drafted prospects on those teams. Not just highly regarded by the Bills either. I have an issue when a rook HC / GM thinks he knows better than the rest of the enitire NFL. The cupboard wasn't bare. A big project just got bigger and will take more time. If it even works.

I think the AFC is very poor. Buffalo should beat the jets twice and Dolphins. The doom and gloom is a little overblown. They will have a chance to win 2/3 of their games im not saying they will but they also are not in the bottom of the league.

No let's put things in REAL perspective.........none of the best, most consistently competitive teams in the NFL got their thru tanking.

New England

Green Bay

Seattle

Pittsburgh

Baltimore

Denver

These teams went from mediocrity to championship level.......often headlined by talent assembled/procured by the previous regime.

THAT is perspective.

The difference is that the players that are being let go either don't fit their scheme or they simply are not as good as many people think. Other than Watkins who is so indispensable? The point that I have made in numerous posts is that the roster that the wrestling coach inherited wasn't as good as most people are suggesting. The belief that the team that this new regime took over was close to being a playoff team was a delusion. The Bills are at the minimum three years away because there was a major deficit in talent. This decrepit organization has been muddling along for more than a generation. Year by year patching and re-patching a swollen and mismatched roster. Now, this new crew is aggressively reworking the roster and accumulating picks so it will be in a good position to draft a top shelf qb prospect, something that you have advocated for years. Now that they are finally doing it you get cold feet and fearfully complain that they need to slow down. If you want to hit the brakes that's fine. I'm for hitting hard on the accelerating and encouraging them to go faster. To each their own!

The difference is that the players that are being let go either don't fit their scheme or they simply are not as good as many people think. Other than Watkins who is so indispensable? The point that I have made in numerous posts is that the roster that the wrestling coach inherited wasn't as good as most people are suggesting. The belief that the team that this new regime took over was close to being a playoff team was a delusion. The Bills are at the minimum three years away because there was a major deficit in talent. This decrepit organization has been muddling along for more than a generation. Year by year patching and re-patching a swollen and mismatched roster. Now, this new crew is aggressively reworking the roster and accumulating picks so it will be in a good position to draft a top shelf qb prospect, something that you have advocated for years. Now that they are finally doing it you get cold feet and fearfully complain that they need to slow down. If you want to hit the brakes that's fine. I'm for hitting hard on the accelerating and encouraging them to go faster. To each their own!

If that's true, then explain the 24-24 record the last three seasons instead of much worse results that a talent deficit usually indicates.

New England

Green Bay

Seattle

Pittsburgh

Baltimore

Denver

These teams went from mediocrity to championship level.......by drafting a franchise QB who made everyone around him better.

THAT is perspective.

Fixed...

Where do people come up with this nonsense about the roster being bad in recent years or guys not being scheme fits? If Dareus gets cut was he not a scheme fit? He was an All Pro in a similar scheme. What scheme DOESN'T Sammy Watkins fit in? If you lead the NFL in ypc and third and short conversions you are a talent deficient player. The 5X world champs plucked 3 players off the Bills roster in FA the past two years......not talented enough to play for the Bills? It's hard to take people seriously when they make as little sense as you do with these bizarre, excuse-every-decision takes. :doh:

If that's true, then explain the 24-24 record the last three seasons instead of much worse results that a talent deficit usually indicates.

The 24-24 record is not a record indicating anything other than consistent mediocrity. In a league designed for parity nearly 50% of the teams are in the 7-9 to 9-7 range. Where has that gotten us? A generation of not making the playoffs? Striving to be a fringe wild-card team is nothing to be proud of.

You may believe that the Whaley roster that the wrestling coach inherited was capable of being on the verge of something special but the record during the Whaley tenure indicates otherwise. Being an 8-8 caliber team for more than a decade indicates to me that tinkering and following the same script that you have been working off of for a generation isn't the right strategy to take. You can take the same road that leads you nowhere but I'm taking another road that is going in a different direction. May I suggest that you carpool with Badol because he is also riding on that same rocky road that leads you to nowhere good.

Fixed...

WRONG.

4 of the 6 have franchise QB's and Flacco is solid..........but NONE of those 5 were drafted by them with a first round pick that fell higher than the typical mediocrity the Bills have wallowed in.

Big Ben is the only one they couldn't have had and he went right before their pick. Three of them the Bills passed on(Brady, Wilson, Flacco) and Aaron Rodgers they could have drafted had they not traded away that pick the year before.

They haven't been unlucky.......success just goes thru their fingers because they are incompetent.

You don't have to get awful to get good.......ask Jacksonville, who has been at the top of the draft for 5 years running and still looks like the 3rd or 4th best team in their own division.

What I find hilarious is this notion that "Welp, nothing else has worked so I guess we gotta' tank" is the mindset when the stupid f*cking organization hasn't even tried to select a QB with their originally slotted first round pick in ANY draft since 1961. :doh:

It's almost impossible to be as QB incompetent as the Bills have been but selecting in the top 2 hasn't been the answer either.......as I said, only very high QB's drafted since Aikman to win SB's were named Manning. A reason for that could be that bad teams are hard to turn around......ask Andy Luck.

Where do people come up with this nonsense about the roster being bad in recent years or guys not being scheme fits? If Dareus gets cut was he not a scheme fit? He was an All Pro in a similar scheme. What scheme DOESN'T Sammy Watkins fit in? If you lead the NFL in ypc and third and short conversions you are a talent deficient player. The 5X world champs plucked 3 players off the Bills roster in FA the past two years......not talented enough to play for the Bills? It's hard to take people seriously when they make as little sense as you do with these bizarre, excuse-every-decision takes. :doh:

I don't understand your point about Dareus? He is still on the team. He may eventually get his juvenile ass cut or dealt down the road but he is still on the roster. If he is eventually dealt it won't be because of scheme fit as it would be immature and irresponsible behavior.

Watkins is the only high end talented dealt by the wrestling coach. Both Whaley and McDermott were not going to keep Gilmore because of the cap. There isn't a team in the league that doesn't let good players go because of cap considerations. Why stress the cap for Gilmore who is a man cover CB when you are running a zone scheme?

If you want to disagree with the McDermott/Beane approach that is fine. I understand what they are doing and I agree with it. That doesn't mean I agree with every transaction but I understand what they are doing. I would have drafted a qb with our first round pick but this new regime took a different approach. So be it.

WRONG.

4 of the 6 have franchise QB's and Flacco is solid..........but NONE of those 5 were drafted by them with a first round pick that fell higher than the typical mediocrity the Bills have wallowed in.

Big Ben is the only one they couldn't have had and he went right before their pick. Three of them the Bills passed on(Brady, Wilson, Flacco) and Aaron Rodgers they could have drafted had they not traded away that pick the year before.

They haven't been unlucky.......success just goes thru their fingers because they are incompetent.

You don't have to get awful to get good.......ask Jacksonville, who has been at the top of the draft for 5 years running and still looks like the 3rd or 4th best team in their own division.

What I find hilarious is this notion that "Welp, nothing else has worked so I guess we gotta' tank" is the mindset when the stupid f*cking organization hasn't even tried to select a QB with their originally slotted first round pick in ANY draft since 1961. :doh:

It's almost impossible to be as QB incompetent as the Bills have been but selecting in the top 2 hasn't been the answer either.......as I said, only very high QB's drafted since Aikman to win SB's were named Manning. A reason for that could be that bad teams are hard to turn around......ask Andy Luck.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup::worthy:

Outside of 2-3 moves, each can be justified in a vacuum.... but put beside each other it's a tough story to tell

The 24-24 record is not a record indicating anything other than consistent mediocrity. In a league designed for parity nearly 50% of the teams are in the 7-9 to 9-7 range. Where has that gotten us? A generation of not making the playoffs? Striving to be a fringe wild-card team is nothing to be proud of.

You may believe that the Whaley roster that the wrestling coach inherited was capable of being on the verge of something special but the record during the Whaley tenure indicates otherwise. Being an 8-8 caliber team for more than a decade indicates to me that tinkering and following the same script that you have been working off of for a generation isn't the right strategy to take. You can take the same road that leads you nowhere but I'm taking another road that is going in a different direction. May I suggest that you carpool with Badol because he is also riding on that same rocky road that leads you to nowhere good.

No one said anything about being satisfied with mediocrity when the point actual point was refuting your assertion that the McBeane team inherited a team lacking talent. That, IMO is simply not the case.

No one said anything about being satisfied with mediocrity when the point actual point was refuting your assertion that the McBeane team inherited a team lacking talent. That, IMO is simply not the case.

Part of the issue of culling the roster has to do, especially on defense, with getting players better suited for your particular scheme. That is not the reason for all the departures but it certainly is a factor in some cases.

You and others disagree with the aggressive approach that McDermott is taking in dismantling the Whaley roster. That's fine. We can respectfully disagree with how he is implementing his concept of team building. What I have been saying in my posts is I understand what he is doing and I agree with it. And where I strenuously disagree with you and others is that I don't believe that the roster McDermott/Beane inherited is as good as you are making it out to be.