Baker Mayfield...

KellyToughII

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I have concerns about height and maturity,  but he’s fun to watch and seems to find the open guy. When  guys like Daniel Jeremiah and Kirk Herbstreit are very impressed, I have to at least listen. Herbstreit said this morning 5 years from now he could be the best from the class and we’ll be wondering why everyone didn’t see it. 

Time will tell. I don’t pretend to be an expert or owner of a crystal ball. I will say the Johnny Football comparisons are just lazy. 

Well the previous comment mentioned his progression through reads. He plays in a 1-2 read offense. Alot of his completions are short dump offs and flip passes to guys coming out of the backfield or they roll him out due to his height and then he's only reading half of the field. He's pretty much the furthest thing from a traditional pocket passer. College is very deceiving when it comes to guys like this. To me he doesn't show any traits of being an NFL passer. His mechanics are all over the place, he throws off balance, from his back foot. across his body. On Saturday's it looks great, on Sunday's it's usually a disaster.

Unless someone like Mike Leach is going to be our OC I see him struggling. But that's just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Luka said:

Well the previous comment mentioned his progression through reads. He plays in a 1-2 read offense. Alot of his completions are short dump offs and flip passes to guys coming out of the backfield or they roll him out due to his height and then he's only reading half of the field. He's pretty much the furthest thing from a traditional pocket passer. College is very deceiving when it comes to guys like this. To me he doesn't show any traits of being an NFL passer. His mechanics are all over the place, he throws off balance, from his back foot. across his body. On Saturday's it looks great, on Sunday's it's usually a disaster.

Unless someone like Mike Leach is going to be our OC I see him struggling. But that's just my opinion.

I won’t pretend to “know” anything. I will say he’s fun to watch, and I’m surprised that some of the folks I think the most of all say he gets to a third read, has a good throwing motion with plenty of torque and his teammates love him. There’s a guy like that on my college hoops team, if he’s not YOUR guy, you’re going to hate him. 

Again, time will tell. 

While I like Mayfield, he still has a lot of flaws.  He may sneak into the top ten but that's as high as I see him going.  If he has poor interviews or a less than stellar draft process, he would find his way to the second round.  

He's really hit or miss with me.  Not my favorite QB prospect this year.

1. Baker Mayfield is the most fascinating player in the playoff.

If the Oklahoma QB has a nice run in the postseason starting with this game against Georgia, he could solidify himself as a first-round pick, assuming teams are satisfied when they look into the off-the-field concerns with the QB.

Mayfield is expected to win the Heisman Trophy when it is awarded later this week, and the playoff could be an exclamation point on his sensational year. He already tore up Ohio State and TCU twice. Now, he has a chance to go up against a top SEC defense in UGA. People knock the Big 12 for its lack of defense, and rightfully so, but he's going to eliminate the argument that he hasn't played anybody once he steps foot on the field vs. the Bulldogs.

Everyone knows Mayfield's emotions can get the best of him. This will definitely be an emotional atmosphere. He'll get a chance to test himself in that regard.

Difference is Mayfield has played much more consistently than Watson did last fall. Watson took his game to another level once the playoff started. The thing we found out about Watson is that once the stakes got raised, he can find a whole other level. That's what makes him special. My question is: Does that level exist for Mayfield and can he find it?

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Who is the last QB with such mixed reviews? 

Good question.  I find though, most people who like his play like his production and most who dislike him as a prospect criticize his tools.  Whats more important going forward, good fundamentals or college production?

Just now, Woodman19 said:

Good question.  I find though, most people who like his play like his production and most who dislike him as a prospect criticize his tools.  Whats more important going forward, good fundamentals or college production?

I’ve been surprised by some of the people who insist he has good fundamentals. I mean, it looks good to me, but I’ve not seen enough, nor am I qualified to judge. Some smart people say his throwing motion is solid and he goes through his reads before making very accurate throws. Others say he’s a tiny little guy with police video who likes to crotch grab on TV playing against high school defenses. 

What is this guy? 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ve been surprised by some of the people who insist he has good fundamentals. I mean, it looks good to me, but I’ve not seen enough, nor am I qualified to judge. Some smart people say his throwing motion is solid and he goes through his reads before making very accurate throws. Others say he’s a tiny little guy with police video who likes to crotch grab on TV playing against high school defenses. 

What is this guy? 

I typically allow for a red flag as no one is perfect, but I don't like the foot work, I dont like the release, I don't like the size and I don't like the repeated attitude.  When you are talking about a 1st round pick, you don't take that much risk IMO when you have other options with far less baggage.

30 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

I typically allow for a red flag as no one is perfect, but I don't like the foot work, I dont like the release, I don't like the size and I don't like the repeated attitude.  When you are talking about a 1st round pick, you don't take that much risk IMO when you have other options with far less baggage.

And you may very well be right. Yet people like Daniel Jeremiah praise him and Kirk Herbstreit says in 5 years he could be so good we’d all wonder why it was hard for people to see. Plenty of talking heads agree he’s not worth a shot before the 3rd.  I don’t have a position, other than it’s interesting what a wide variance of opinion there is. 

On 12/6/2017 at 8:43 PM, thenorthremembers said:

Agree.  Id take him in a second if I was a GM.  But fact is height scares these guys off.  Cant wait to see wherr he goes.

To the Hall of Fame for the Bills.

8 hours ago, Woodman19 said:

I just can't get past his throwing motion.  He has terrible throwing mechanics and often throws off his back leg from what I have seen.

Seriously???

Have not heard one bad word about his throwing motion and he is very accurate. The last thing he needs is some "expert" ruining his throwing motion.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.