8-31: Brandon Beane Interviews on WGR and WKBW

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this guy think dressing up like a Wall Street guy mean he has the brains of a Wall Street guy?

I'm not defending Dareus actions or even his talent but how can what Beane said possibly help the Bills? Under what scenario does publicly excoriating this guy and letting the world know we may get rid of him help our negotiating position in the eventuality? Is it possible that the situation is so far gone that saying these things can't hurt the situation any more? I guess. But there is no scenario where saying these things will help. It's dumb and these things are meant to be said behind closed doors. "Coach speak" sucks sometimes but it is used because it is necessary. Keane has a lot to learn.

It may suck but it's really just not cap friendly to get rid of him until after next year. It's just managing him at this point and making sure every deal has the morals clause in it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It wouldn't hurt much really. Cost like 7 to ditch him right now. Then he's off the books next year.

It wouldn't hurt much really. Cost like 7 to ditch him right now. Then he's off the books next year.

if we cut him now it puts us 10 mil over the cap this year and you're correct nothing next year. so we'd get penalized for being over the cap and i'm not sure what that penalty is but it's severe

Does this guy think dressing up like a Wall Street guy mean he has the brains of a Wall Street guy?

I'm not defending Dareus actions or even his talent but how can what Beane said possibly help the Bills? Under what scenario does publicly excoriating this guy and letting the world know we may get rid of him help our negotiating position in the eventuality? Is it possible that the situation is so far gone that saying these things can't hurt the situation any more? I guess. But there is no scenario where saying these things will help. It's dumb and these things are meant to be said behind closed doors. "Coach speak" sucks sometimes but it is used because it is necessary. Keane has a lot to learn.

If the guy just wants to get a check and isnt playing up to his contract what do you suggest should be done? The 4-3 suits his game so the production excuses are gone. He has not played at a pro bowl level since 14. Edited by Mat68

There's a saying in leadership, "You get what you allow."

If you allow players to show up to meetings and games late... if you allow players to exhibit a low level of commitment... you're going to get more of that.

It's not a simple matter of "Well, Marcel is such a talent on the field we need to forgive his transgressions." Marcel will get worse if allowed to continually eff up. And other players will be poisoned by his bad example.

Based on what I know from the interviews and media reports, Beane and McD are handling this pretty well.

It's interesting he says he isn't sure about Dareus buying in because at the start of training camp, Kyle Williams said this was the most focused, prepared and in shape he's seen Dareus for any camp. And that may be the case but then he pulls a bonehead move like missing the team bus for the Ravens game and showing up late. There's no doubt this defense is much better when Dareus is in the lineup. Like they've said, hopefully it'll be something he can put behind him and move forward.

If the guy just wants to get a check and isnt playing up to his contract what do you suggest should be done? The 4-3 suits his game so the production excuses are gone. He has not played at a pro bowl level since 14.

You are so right. The best idea in this scenario is for the GM to go on radio and excoriate a player in public. It will help the player play better and if it doesn't it will increase his trade value.

Im just imagining Whaleys responses to some of these questions, and am glad we moved on from him.

On a comedic level, his press conferences were entertaining, but kind of depressing too.

I hated that McCoy trade.

The way some of you fall in love with press conferences. Belichick just mumbles and offers nothing. The proof is in the pudding. Long way to go to say Beane is an improvement over Whaley.

Yea he comes off like a pompous jerk off.

Will be interesting to see how the fans react and how Beane responds after a 5/6 win season.

Unbelievable the attitude of some here. He comes across as a responsible executive that sets a standard for his employees to follow. Who should be next? Maybe Hughes decides he doesn't have to listen to the rules (and according to Richie McDermott and Beane have just a few rules). does Hughes get a pass? But not Humber? Where does this end?

They have tried from what I can tell to have teammates talk to him, they've had private talks with him. And when asked a straight question Beane gave a straight answer. How about the player actually grow up and follow a simple rule like every other one of this teammates seem to be able to do?

Some here truly want the lunatics to run the asylum. I can only assume you don't have any executive responsibilities in your place of employment.

There's a saying in leadership, "You get what you allow."

If you allow players to show up to meetings and games late... if you allow players to exhibit a low level of commitment... you're going to get more of that.

It's not a simple matter of "Well, Marcel is such a talent on the field we need to forgive his transgressions." Marcel will get worse if allowed to continually eff up. And other players will be poisoned by his bad example.

Based on what I know from the interviews and media reports, Beane and McD are handling this pretty well.

Yep. If you want to stop neighborhood decline and turn that neighborhood into a good one - start by picking up the trash, getting the graffiti off the buildings and fixing the broken windows.

If the population knows you won't accept the small stuff - they understand you definitely won't accept the bigger stuff.

Edited by PolishDave

Yep. If you want to stop neighborhood decline and turn that neighborhood into a good one - start by picking up the trash, getting the graffiti off the buildings and fixing the broken windows.

If the population knows you won't accept the small stuff - they understand you definitely won't accept the bigger stuff.

The Watkins trade is still awful. :)

Unbelievable the attitude of some here. He comes across as a responsible executive that sets a standard for his employees to follow. Who should be next? Maybe Hughes decides he doesn't have to listen to the rules (and according to Richie McDermott and Beane have just a few rules). does Hughes get a pass? But not Humber? Where does this end?

They have tried from what I can tell to have teammates talk to him, they've had private talks with him. And when asked a straight question Beane gave a straight answer. How about the player actually grow up and follow a simple rule like every other one of this teammates seem to be able to do?

Some here truly want the lunatics to run the asylum. I can only assume you don't have any executive responsibilities in your place of employment.

I agree with 100% of that, but the return from the organization to the player is to not bad mouth them as individuals in public. That is the rule the organization should offer in return for the rules the players must follow. It can't be follow these rules and if you don't, we are going to whine to the press that you are a bad apple.

I agree with 100% of that, but the return from the organization to the player is to not bad mouth them as individuals in public. That is the rule the organization should offer in return for the rules the players must follow. It can't be follow these rules and if you don't, we are going to whine to the press that you are a bad apple.

I disagree. They have tried to get this player to respect and follow rules and he refuses. The GM was asked a straightup question, and he gave a straightup answer. This reminds of helicopter parents who refuse to accept the fact that maybe their kid actually did something wrong.

I disagree. They have tried to get this player to respect and follow rules and he refuses. The GM was asked a straightup question, and he gave a straightup answer. This reminds of helicopter parents who refuse to accept the fact that maybe their kid actually did something wrong.

So if your kid has discipline issues the solution is to tell the neighborhood? It doesn't mean you coddle the kid but you can keep family business family business or else you have to manage a shifting line of what needs to be out there for public consumption. He doesn't have to go out there and tell everyone how wonderful Marcel is to have in the locker room. He can just say "we keep personnel issues in house".

Beane is doing a poor job managing this because he can't win doing it. He can only lose or break even. He'll probably learn how to handle things moving forward.

So if your kid has discipline issues the solution is to tell the neighborhood? It doesn't mean you coddle the kid but you can keep family business family business or else you have to manage a shifting line of what needs to be out there for public consumption. He doesn't have to go out there and tell everyone how wonderful Marcel is to have in the locker room. He can just say "we keep personnel issues in house".

Beane is doing a poor job managing this because he can't win doing it. He can only lose or break even. He'll probably learn how to handle things moving forward.

If my kid does something wrong people in my neighborhood have the freedom to set her straight. Dareus' conduct has been in the public arena for quite a while, whether it be crashing his car or getting suspended for violating NFL policies or getting sent home for team rules violations.