GDT: Preseason Game 4 - Lions vs. Bills at 7 PM ET

I hope that you are right, because damn near the whole world can see that Ducasse is a turnstile. However, if it's not as much a competition as McD is making it out to be, why continue with the charade of telling everyone that it's a "real battle" between the two of them? Also, if Miller is truly our starting RG (as he SHOULD be), why continue to give first team reps to Ducasse? That's taking valuable reps away from Miller...

I get that; I guess we'll see how it shakes out. I'll criticise it if/when it turns out to be a bad decision. But looking at it from a different angle, the "competition", whether perceived or not, is good for Miller, and Ducasse.

These are the types of things that we should want from our staff. Whether or not McDermott and Beane do a good job won't be known for a few years, but the things they are doing and have done so far represent something that many of us fans feel like has been needed for some time with this team. One thing is clear about this regime: they mean business, and really don't care what the fans think about their moves, because they feel like the moves will benefit the team in the long run.

Everyone has described McDermott as a very structured, detail driven person, not just as a coach, but in all aspects. Having a "competition" at certain positions isn't always just about who may be better. It's also a coaching method used to push players. At this stage of Miller's career and the circumstances around it, it's the perfect time for a coach to do this with him and players in similar situations. It pushes him, while giving Ducasse valuable reps with his new linemates, just in case Miller misses time.

It's not a bad thing to do, unless it has a reverse effect on Miller's phsych, but he seems like a very level headed and humble guy, so I'm not worried about that.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy Crap! I have never been so worried about a rookie getting injured in the pre-season as today!

But yes, quite the conundrum, how long does he play, and if very little or none and they go with a guy that's been here 2 days, does that make it pretty much a wasted game? How can they use this to evaluate anyone, you know the guy can't have much more than 4 or 5 plays to run, can he?

Then what if he gets hurt? Do we even have anyone who could run a wildcat type offense to get through the game, at least?

Holy Crap! I have never been so worried about a rookie getting injured in the pre-season as today!

But yes, quite the conundrum, how long does he play, and if very little or none and they go with a guy that's been here 2 days, does that make it pretty much a wasted game? How can they use this to evaluate anyone, you know the guy can't have much more than 4 or 5 plays to run, can he?

Then what if he gets hurt? Do we even have anyone who could run a wildcat type offense to get through the game, at least?

I was wondering the Same thing. Does anyone know who the emergency QB is? What happens if Wenning goes down (God forbid) after Peterman is done for the night. Assuming he plays at all, which I think he will for at least a few series. Does Peterman go back in and risk injury or do you play the emergency QB?

I was wondering the Same thing. Does anyone know who the emergency QB is? What happens if Wenning goes down (God forbid) after Peterman is done for the night. Assuming he plays at all, which I think he will for at least a few series. Does Peterman go back in and risk injury or do you play the emergency QB?

I'd guess they would make Logan Thomas the emergency QB. That's the position he played in college.

Logan Thomas

Logan Thomas, last resort?

Yes. Let's do that. :blink:

I'm curious what exactly you expect McD to do?

Since I don't pretend to have any of the qualifications for the job, it isn't what I expect but what, as a semi capable observer and long time fan of the game, I hope to see.

1. Duck a$$ sent to the showers after his first missed assignment.

2. Groy getting a half of work

3. Enough stretch plays, no matter who is under center, to see if we have anybody capable of getting behind the defense regularly.

4. Shady on the sidelines from the beginning.

Feel free to correct my obvious errors.

Has there been a statement made by the team that has indicated if Peterman is actually playing tonight?

Peterman starts tonight (don't know if I read it at Rumblings or the Bills official site)

Peterman is expected to start the game, but his time on the field is something the coaching staff will play by ear. ("What to watch for-Bills vs Lions")

Edited by billsfan60