Greg Garbriel: On What the Bills Are Trying To Do

It's a lie. Nothing in the article that we didn't already know. It's no different than when Rex took over. We just wish McDermott would adapt a little to the players, particularly on offense. In these days of mediocrity in the NFL, the talk about the talent on this team not being at a "playoff team" level is nonsense. Twelve teams of 32 make the playoffs!!! That shouldn't be a very high bar to meet.

Well for 17 years they haven't been able to limbo under that bar.

Do you expect them to stand pat?

Sammy isn't worth 15m+ a year

Darby is good man corner but is afraid to wrinkle his uniform by tackling.

Ragland is a 2 down 3-4 MLB who couldn't crack second string on this team.

Billieve!!

Billieve in the process!

Like others have said only a few of us bought in the vast majority are dumping on them so they must be heading in the right direction.

BTW to go on record I hated the Rex hire from day one,these guys are the exact opposite of that circus.

Just wait until they avoid a 1st round QB next year and go RB and WR with 1a and 1b...

If Peterman took us to 10-6 and the playoffs and put up a stat line of 24TD's 10 Ints 3000 Yds a QB might not be needed.

I would get him a WR and a TE early but I think MLB might be the next high 1st rnd pick. in that scenario.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are trying to finally draft a franchise QB after 20 years of slapping a band aid on a team and saying "we're close" only to end up 8-8 and do it again. And build a supporting cast around him that will actually compete for championship in our lifetimes instead of competing for "in the hunt". Whether or not they draft the right QB is not something we can determine today. I am willing to wait behind judging the team's new leadership. I don't love every move on the surface (Sammy) but I also haven't seen the outcome yet of every move.

I'm tired of the approach of "this QB is good enough to make the playoffs if we run the ball" or "this QB is good enough to make the playoffs if we have a great defense." Unbalanced offenses end up losing at some point, regardless of stats on rushing yards and rankings. "great defenses" go up against great QBs and end up losing at some point when they are on the field the whole game , regardless of stats and rankings. You need more than a QB, yes. But you still need a QB. I want a competitive team this year as a fan but more than that I want them to do whatever they need to do to finally land "the guy."

Edited by YoloinOhio

Beane and McDermott have already made 1,000 decisions that have and will continue to impact the direction of the franchise.

Maybe Gabriel's opinion is based on the overall thrust of those decisions?

Maybe you are painting a shockingly incomplete and over-simplified picture of the situation?

Gabriel is claiming they are the best since Levy and Butler - and the regime of McDermott and Beane hasn't even won a friggin football game yet. They haven't even won an offseason yet. :lol:

And you think it is unreasonable to expect them to actually coach in real games and actually win them before making the claim that they are the best since the Super Bowl years?

Some of you guys have blind faith while ignoring common sense. These guys could win a Super Bowl or they could flop out and be the worst of the worst most humiliating caoching/GM buffoons ever. No real proof yet. Way to premature to be saying "best" anything or "second best" anything.

They are trying to finally draft a franchise QB after 20 years of slapping a band aid on a team and saying "we're close" only to end up 8-8 and do it again. And build a supporting cast around him that will actually compete for championship in our lifetimes instead of competing for "in the hunt". Whether or not they draft the right QB is not something we can determine today. I am willing to wait behind judging the team's new leadership. I don't love every move on the surface (Sammy) but I also haven't seen the outcome yet of every move.

I'm tired of the approach of "this QB is good enough to make the playoffs if we run the ball" or "this QB is good enough to make the playoffs if we have a great defense." Unbalanced offenses end up losing at some point, regardless of stats on rushing yards and rankings. "great defenses" go up against great QBs and end up losing at some point when they are on the field the whole game , regardless of stats and rankings. You need more than a QB, yes. But you still need a QB. I want a competitive team this year as a fan but more than that I want them to do whatever they need to do to finally land "the guy."

Agree totally Yolo. This regime is going to go QB in 2018 and they will then stand or fall with that guy.

Just wait until they avoid a 1st round QB next year and go RB and WR with 1a and 1b...

I truly wouldn't care if they went the Browns/Raiders route and took elite guys at other positions in the 1st and got their QB in the 2nd. Just get the right QB. All that matters. Edited by YoloinOhio

There will be some smart, calculated moves by this regime that make sense (Darby, Ragland), but I believe that the approach will also yield some moves that end up being big-time failures.

Not just getting rid of an elite talent like Sammy, but the "scheme fit" stuff will result in guys like Ducasse playing ahead of more capable players.

It's too early for any kind of diagnosis (let alone conclusion), and so I truly hope that this FO crew doesn't become the type that is so married to their scheme that they perpetually miss the forest for the trees.

I am cautious optimistic, but, I have the same concerns as yourself.

This guy has no idea what he's talking about.

I've watched football on TV my whole life, and was pretty good at Tecmo in my day, and I only needed to get halfway through the first quarter of Preseason Game 3 to know McDermott is is a failure, Beane is a fool, and Pegula is a horrible, horrible owner.

You'll see. You'll ALL see. Then I will return and say "I told you so."

Amen.

LMAO perfect :-)

Excellent post.

Instead of striving to be a fringe wild-card team on a year by year basis they are going full throttle (for the most part) in building a robust roster that can compete on a sustained bass. That is going to take time. One of the fundamental mistakes that Whaley yearly made is over-evaluate his roster and thus believe that making short term maneuvers to get over the playoff desert hump. Those short-sighted patchwork moves turned out to be a rob Peter to pay Paul approach at the expense of the future. It got us nowhere. When all was said and one we were still stuck in the muck of mediocrity.

Finally the organization is accumulating assets to acquire a credible franchise qb and still add to the roster. They are doing what needed to be done decades ago. So what is the response? There is a chorus of complaints from people who nostalgically long for doing it the old fashion way, the way that got us nowhere.

This team has actually needed a Franchise QB for 21 years. Jim Kelly retired in 96' Think on that. Does a franchise QB Guarantee a superbowl or Superbowl titles? No, it never has. But you have virtually no chance without one.

We MUST at least try to address this with a high first round pick next year in a very strong QB class.

Thanks for sharing the article, I understand his points but I don't think he provided much new information.

I know why the mores were made, in most cases McDermott and Beane said it themselves. I just disagree with some of them. As an example, he reasons about Watkins 1) being hurt too often and 2) too expensive to sign. Yes he has been hurt often but he seemed to be 100% coming into camp. In my option he has too much talent to give up on so soon. As far as being too expensive to sign, you get what you pay for. They could have picked up his option year and kept his cost down. If stayed healthy and had a great year he would be expensive, because he would be worth it. You get what you pay for.

Beane was hired after the draft. The one lingering stench of Whaley remaining was trading back up twice in 2017. Sure we finally got an extra 1 after initially trading down, but we also gave up several picks to move back up in the 2nd and 3rd. Looking at this roster right now, I kind of think I would rather have an extra 3 guys under contract for 4 years than the moves up.

I dont know if McBean will turn this franchise around. But I sure as hell know this team has had moves up backfire more in this drought than payoff. So I will give the accumulate picks strategy a chance, its a real change. I'll have to reserve judgement until after the the 2018 draft. Then we can criticize if we dont agree with it.

The 18 draft will make or break the carolina duo. I've said this before and always will, I would take half this board armed with 5 draft magazines and some websites over our front office during this millennium. Could they do worse? I really doubt it. Here's hoping Beane knows what he is doing.

Do you actually believe Whaley was making those deals on his own? It was reported over and over McDermott ran the draft.

we keep goin through the same mess every coupla years. i understand what the new regime is doing, not against the moves, but they better get the time needed to actually build their vision.

we havent had a franchise QB since Kelly, well, we havent tried to develop one either. New coaches, new schemes, constant turnover. I get that coaches/GMs want "their" guys. We dump QBs faster than we can possibly figure out how good they are, usually because he isnt "their" "guy". Find one, develop him. 2yrs or less will very rarely find you a franchise QB.

3yrs, thats the minimum. If we dont give these guys 3yrs to get set up, then its a fail before it even started. I understand all the fans not wanting to wait that long, trust me, im one of them, but logic takes over. Brady cant play forever, very soon the AFC east will be up for grabs. Will we be in position?