Some quick thoughts re turnover, coaches and direction

jahnyc

I'm not impressed by GMs who know how to "gut" a roster. I'm impressed by GMs who know how to BUILD a roster.

I'm not impressed by GMs who believe in "building through the draft." I'm impressed by GMs who actually make smart draft picks.

I don't care if a coach is a disciplinarian or a players buddy. I care about them putting players in a position to win games.

I don't care if a coach is a loud mouth or subdued and quiet. I care about them coming up with smart game plans, and making intelligent decisions.

When almost 10% of your cap is tied up in a DT who can't be bothered to show up to the stadium for the game on time... You should probably look at rebuilding.

Another 7.5% is tied up in a LT who has a chronic foot problem. Another 5% tied up in a TE who has a chronic knee issue.

22% of the cap is tied up in those 3 players who all have their problems. This is a flawed roster build, and the only way to fix it is in the draft.

So far McDermott's offensive philosophy looks like Dick Jauron.

The talent level is low, the line is bad in pass protection, the WRs are mediocre, leaning on one 29 year old RB.

you could put EJ under Coryells system and it doesn't make him Fouts. Talent still counts for something.

I think we have seen the problem with rapid GM/Coach turnover. Re-planning and changing schemes every 2-3 years will get you nowhere.

Look at the best players we drafted since the drought. Most of them had their best years on another team.

Even worse is drafting running backs in the first two rounds but not drafting QBs. Yikes, the bills have been the poorest managed NFL team for a very long time.

I get that people have run out of explanations so they think tanking must be the ONLY SOLUTION....... but LOOK AT THE FACTS...........the only #1 overall pick QB's to win a SB since Elway retired are named Manning and in 3 of those 4 seasons those Mannings didn't play like 1st overall pick HOF'ers in getting their teams to those Super Bowls.

AND one of the biggest reasons Eli got to that first super bowl was strong D and a strong run game. Michael Strahan and Earth Wind and Fire.

When almost 10% of your cap is tied up in a DT who can't be bothered to show up to the stadium for the game on time... You should probably look at rebuilding.

Another 7.5% is tied up in a LT who has a chronic foot problem. Another 5% tied up in a TE who has a chronic knee issue.

22% of the cap is tied up in those 3 players who all have their problems. This is a flawed roster build, and the only way to fix it is in the draft.

Sounds like the perfect time to bring in Kaepernick and fill out the last remaining spot on The Island of Misfit Toys!

TRUST THE PROCESS. Remember how bad Dallas was when Jimmy Johnson was his first year? However he had a plan and stuck with it and that is what we are doing. We are getting the players we want and moving the ones that don't fit. Next year I guaranty we are drafting one if not two quality QBs and may the best man win, just Walsh and Aikman.

TRUST THE PROCESS. Remember how bad Dallas was when Jimmy Johnson was his first year? However he had a plan and stuck with it and that is what we are doing. We are getting the players we want and moving the ones that don't fit. Next year I guaranty we are drafting one if not two quality QBs and may the best man win, just Walsh and Aikman.

That's great, but in 3 years the Cowboys draft yielded 3 HOFers and 7 pro bowlers . It's kind of a stretch to think the McBeane team is going to have that kind of success . They sure are emptying out the cupboard though...

If you can't adjust your schemes to your talent you better be a DAMN GOOD coaching staff.

McD might be the best HC we've had during the drought for all we know but the turnover of the roster has been extreme and in a league where the difference in roster strength from good to bad teams is not significant the Bills have taken an unnecessary step back in that regard and IMO that threatens whatever program McD is trying to establish.

It's about getting the QB, they just can't tell us that.

That's great, but in 3 years the Cowboys draft yielded 3 HOFers and 7 pro bowlers . It's kind of a stretch to think the McBeane team is going to have that kind of success . They sure are emptying out the cupboard though...

We have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds, very similar to what Jimmy had, it's not about this year, even though they say it is, we and they know better, but the league frowns upon the "T" word.

I think we have seen the problem with rapid GM/Coach turnover. Re-planning and changing schemes every 2-3 years will get you nowhere.

Look at the best players we drafted since the drought. Most of them had their best years on another team.

Even worse is drafting running backs in the first two rounds but not drafting QBs. Yikes, the bills have been the poorest managed NFL team for a very long time.

Not in any more, trading for future picks was rare for previous regimes. They always mortgaged the future because we always "one" player away, when in reality we have been a middling team since Wade left.

Now we have a plan and will reap the benefits for years to come.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Next year we will be dramatically improved.

AND one of the biggest reasons Eli got to that first super bowl was strong D and a strong run game. Michael Strahan and Earth Wind and Fire.

There is an underlying reason why #1 overall QB's have been yielding diminished SB returns since Aikman went #1 overall.........Free agency.......you used to be able to stack rosters by having lot's of losing seasons and guys like Bradshaw, Plunkett and Aikman won 9 SB's because their teams were DEEP with talent.

The Bills were built that way too.......they were never really "turned around" as much as they just became tough to beat because of the force of their roster versus the rest of the AFC.

Now......free agency no longer allows you to stack rosters for years like that.

you could put EJ under Coryells system and it doesn't make him Fouts. Talent still counts for something.

I agree.

McDermott rambling on and on about leadership and character and brotherhood.

We tried that before remember? With Chris Kelsay and Ryan Denney and Keith Ellison kind of lunchpail, high motor guys.

Doesn't work.

Now......free agency no longer allows you to stack rosters for years like that.

This exactly why I seriously doubt the dump all the good guys and tank methodology. next year we add a QB and a few other guys. Year 2, some vets come up for renewal. Draft more guys. Year 3 more vets leave. Draft more guys. Year 4 (if Beane still had a job) now the year 1 guys you drafted to "build with the draft" contracts are up. Dump em and draft cheaper guys. The cycle continues.

FA pretty much dictates you gotta get what you can THIS YEAR and go for it. Reshuffle next year.

Earth Wind and Fire was definitely in the FA era.

Edited by reddogblitz