Tyrod in Concussion protocol (update - Cleared 9/5)

YoloinOhio

Peterman, to me, is the logical guy to start. This is a 5-7 win team, let the guy who will be your backup and maybe your future get you those wins if he can. Worst case Scenario is he develops into our 10+ year backup.

Pat Kirwin yesterday on moving the chains said the same thing. 7 win team tops, BUT he feels under McBeane we will finally progress. He wants to see Peterman play to see what we have there.

Edited by KellyToughII

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nicely said and is why many are in full suport of Peterman as the starter.

You don't need to evaluate Peterman this year, since you know for a fact that you're drafting a QB next season regardless. Also, you have Peterman under contract for 3 more seasons after this; there's no hurry.

What this team needs to do is evaluate everything else. The QB that is capable of making the most plays on Sundays is the guy that will give the FO the best chance to evaluate the other pieces/parts of the offense. Right now, they must believe that's Taylor, or else they'd be starting Peterman.

Didn't answer the question.

What is better for the long term future of the Bills.

Playing a QB that is not in your future to get to 6-7 wins (ala Kyle Orton)

or playing your Promising (though flawed) Rookie QB to get a full year of evaluation prior to a draft you are loaded with picks and still get to those 6-7 wins?

Unless you're trying to lose, it seems to me you start the better player. I think that's what's expected in the locker room, whether the position is right tackle, middle linebacker, or quarterback. Speaking of fudging, I see you don't hold that starting the better player should be automatic, yet assume the same wins regardless. Your position would be clearer if you didn't use such a convenient dodge.

Edited by grb

Peterman, to me, is the logical guy to start. This is a 5-7 win team, let the guy who will be your backup and maybe your future get you those wins if he can. Worst case Scenario is he develops into our 10+ year backup.

Pat Kirwin yesterday on moving the chains said the same thing. 7 win team tops, BUT he feels under McBeane we will finally progress. He wants to see Peterman play to see what we have there.

How anyone can say this based on the sample space we've seen is beyond me.

Unless you're trying to lose, it seems to me you start the better player, I think that's what's expected in the locker room, whether the position is right tackle, middle linebacker, or quarterback. Speaking of fudging, I see you don't hold that starting the better player should be automatic, yet assume the same wins regardless. Your position would be clearer if you didn't use such a convenient dodge.

I don't dodge anything, With TT and Peterman I see 6-7 wins from this team at best.. Why Because they are depended on the Run and playing Defense, they can do that with BOTH QBs, now what you lose in TT running you gain in Peterman's better passing ability. See it is a wash.

So again what is better for the Long term of the Franchise (which you have still yet to answer, so who is dodging).

Start the guy that is not part of the long term answer?

Or start the Rookie that could be?

Edited by MAJBobby

You don't need to evaluate Peterman this year, since you know for a fact that you're drafting a QB next season regardless. Also, you have Peterman under contract for 3 more seasons after this; there's no hurry.

What this team needs to do is evaluate everything else. The QB that is capable of making the most plays on Sundays is the guy that will give the FO the best chance to evaluate the other pieces/parts of the offense. Right now, they must believe that's Taylor, or else they'd be starting Peterman.

Bandit I rarely agree with you, but this is 100% on point.

to me it depends on whether they currently evaluate NP as a potential future franchise QB or not. Many scouting reports indicated his ceiling was a good NFL backup. They may feel that way too and if they do, they should play the QB that gives them the better chance to win now (I personally don't think they are trying to lose). If they do evaluate him as having high ceiling NFL starter potential, then it does make more sense to play him now to see what they have and accelerate his development. It also depends on their evaluation of TT. Are they done evaluating him as a future franchise QB for this team, or do they want more time to see him in this system? I think there are assumptions out there but nothing confirmed on that front.

Yeah - that's pretty much the analysis. If players were robots this would be undeniable.

The mitigating factor being playing to win now for the sake of the culture of the overall team.

The secondary factor is if Tyrod looks as terrible operating the new offense in the regular season as he did in the preseason, how long do you wait to pull the plug? At some point TT might really not be the option that wins the most games now.

Edited by BobChalmers

I don't understand the evaluating of other positions in how it has to do with our starting QB this season, after watching preseason it looked more like a working offense when Peterman was running it.

We all feel Tyrod is done next season so are they not wasting time and energy trying to force a round peg in a square hole while taking away valuable experience time Peterman could be getting?

What worries myself and others is the fact they might be still stuck in the must win now mode and think Tyrod is the saviour like the team did in the Fitz era only to fall flat on it's face and the staff fired. The best way to fix the problem is to first admit the problem is one.

With keeping Tyrod are they going to aTaylor made offense again and hold our other players back from learning a new offense just so Tyrod can move the offense down the field?

Peterman would gain more experience playing in my opinion so if we all know it's not a playoff season let's stop wasting time on a QB who will be gone and give that experience to a QB that will be here longer.

Unless you're trying to lose, it seems to me you start the better player. I think that's what's expected in the locker room, whether the position is right tackle, middle linebacker, or quarterback. Speaking of fudging, I see you don't hold that starting the better player should be automatic, yet assume the same wins regardless. Your position would be clearer if you didn't use such a convenient dodge.

Watching the preseason Peterman was the better player, going off years of starting experience Tyrod wins by defalt but going off what this staff has watched in live action this season Peterman should be on top. He deserves the start in my opinion. Edited by xRUSHx

I don't understand the evaluating of other positions in how it has to do with our starting QB this season, after watching preseason it looked more like a working offense when Peterman was running it.

Peterman was working against 2's and 3's...there's no comparison. We also don't know what the offensive game plan is going to look like with Taylor, the starting OL, and the starting WRs in the lineup, since we haven't seen that yet.

We all feel Tyrod is done next season so are they not wasting time and energy trying to force a round peg in a square hole while taking away valuable experience time Peterman could be getting?

It's not a square-peg-round-hole situation unless Tyrod looks wholly incapable when the games start to count. Surely you have to admit that the coaching staff has a better feel for who's more capable today based on what they've seen day-in/day-out in practice than we do based on preseason.

What worries myself and others is the fact they might be still stuck in the must win now mode and think Tyrod is the saviour like the team did in the Fitz era only to fall flat on it's face and the staff fired. The best way to fix the problem is to first admit the problem is one.

Watching the preseason Peterman was the better player, going off years of starting experience Tyrod wins but going off what this staff has watched in live action this season Peterman should be on top. He deserves the start in my opinion.

We have no reason to suspect that they're stuck in win-now mode.

Also, if we're only going on what happened this preseason, then Jonathan Williams should be the starting RB over McCoy. He's not...because experience, track record, and regular-season body of work matter.

Peterman was working against 2's and 3's...there's no comparison. We also don't know what the offensive game plan is going to look like with Taylor, the starting OL, and the starting WRs in the lineup, since we haven't seen that yet.

Except for when he wasn't. See game 3 against Baltimore.

It's not a square-peg-round-hole situation unless Tyrod looks wholly incapable when the games start to count. Surely you have to admit that the coaching staff has a better feel for who's more capable today based on what they've seen day-in/day-out in practice than we do based on preseason.

We have no reason to suspect that they're stuck in win-now mode.

Also, if we're only going on what happened this preseason, then Jonathan Williams should be the starting RB over McCoy. He's not...because experience, track record, and regular-season body of work matter.

Do you think this offensive scheme should be what we expect and that is what we seen in the preseason or do you think it will be more Lynn like in Taylor made?

Putting into perspective they either have the entire offense learn the new scheme now and only have to teach a new QB next season this scheme or do they wait and teach the new scheme next season to all the players and the new QB? I would think they would want to find out if the current players can play in this new scheme not see them replay last seasons scheme in Lynns that worked for Tyrod.

If they are continuing with Lynn's scheme why didn't they just stay with Lynn and hire a new DC?

Seams to me they need to run the new scheme and whomever can't hack it needs to go.

Did you just try to say that replacing a sure fire HOF RB that has been the best the league has to offer with a rookie is the same as replacing a 2 year starting QB that has never been good enough with a rookie? Wow

Edited by xRUSHx

I like them but no more than Kelce and Tyreek Hill. That's one of the group's considered low near us. The Jets are bad. The Bills pass catchers are right near the bottom of the league. It would be tough to debate otherwise. I've asked for opinions and got "I don't know." We don't need hindsight to evaluate it.

All I or we can do is hope for the best, no matter what position the player is for the Bills.

I'm talking about this. You twisted my words then got defensive calling someone mrs taylor when they corrected you . I have never stated your view on tyrod just clarifying my post since you didn't understand it the first time

did you not see my post where I said I was incorrect? let it go.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

To me its almost like instant replay, do we see enough to overturn the decision.

In my opinion we do and perhaps Dennison and McD feel the same way, but it makes no sense telegraphing that line of thinking to the opposition not just for this Sunday, next Sunday as well in my humble opinion bandit.

Edited by Figster

to me it depends on whether they currently evaluate NP as a potential future franchise QB or not. Many scouting reports indicated his ceiling was a good NFL backup. They may feel that way too and if they do, they should play the QB that gives them the better chance to win now (I personally don't think they are trying to lose). If they do evaluate him as having high ceiling NFL starter potential, then it does make more sense to play him now to see what they have and accelerate his development. It also depends on their evaluation of TT. Are they done evaluating him as a future franchise QB for this team, or do they want more time to see him in this system? I think there are assumptions out there but nothing confirmed on that front.

Even if its for 2 seasons does he have to be a franchise guy? Going with a QB drafted in 2018 - He could be the bridge QB until the 18 pick is ready.

Maybe I'm just bored of the run and don't pass mentality left over from Rex and Roman.

If the Ginger Hammer is correct and all positions are being evaluated. That would include regular season games and not just camp bodies.

I'd link to see hard evidence of that bandit.

FWIW - The only hurry I have is ending the drought.

Don't even try to be this reasonable. It'll trash a perfectly good circular argument.

......what you lose in TT running you gain in Peterman's better passing ability. See it is a wash.

Three points :

• The "better passing ability" you saw in Peterman's up&down preseason (and training camp) must involve a hefty amount of wishful thinking. I also note this "better passing ability" somehow doesn't make Peterman the out&out starter and barely compensates for Taylor's rushing yards - which TT's detractors have always insisted were irrelevant anyway. You'd think "better passing ability" would count for more, particularly given the NFL is a passing league (as we're reminded so many times).
  • My opinion? Peterman's best chance at being a long-term starter is to sit awhile - just like Taylor did. Indeed, the two are very similar : Both likeable and very easy to root for, both trying to prove the draft-day naysayers wrong, both wanting to show there are intangibles to playing QB beyond all those scouting reports and cliches. If you put Peterman out there now (with this team) I think it's likely he'll implode, and his career will effectively be over before it barely gets started. Which brings me to my third point :
  • After ten minutes of Peterman starting, a sizable percentage of Bills' fans will write him off with stone-cold contempt, moving on to fantasies of their '18 draft dreamboat. Why not stick with TT? You're already used to despising him.
Edited by grb

Don't even try to be this reasonable. It'll trash a perfectly good circular argument.

Peterman has played the way you would expect a veteran starting NFL QB to play while learning a new system/players in my humble opinion.

Edited by Figster