Wow, Darby is looking great tonight...

T-Bomb

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to derail the thread, but what do you make of the Pats* defense this year? I see them having a borderline elite secondary with absolutely zero pass rush. Not the way I would build a defense.

No worries; Bill (fine soul and exemplary Bills' fan that he is) knows I'm just having some fun with him anyway.

I think NE's secondary will be quite formidable. Their corner group of Butler/Gilmore/Rowe is probably as good a top-3 as any outside of Denver, and the safety group of McCourty/Chung/Harmon is solid too.

Re-signing Hightower and bringing in David Harris to pair with my draft crush Elandon Roberts was really smart too.

The pass rush is really going to depend upon the development of Trey Flowers IMO. He looked very good as the 2016 progressed, but who knows how his development arc will go this season? Kony Ealy has been brutally inconsistent throughout his career, and I wouldn't want to depend upon him. Losing rookie Derek Rivers--a guy I really liked coming out of Youngstown State--could be a big blow.

I guess I expect NE's defense to be business-as-usual. They'll allow some yards and scores, but in the end they'll make stops when they have to and be opportunistic with the turnovers...and that'll probably be good enough.

Edited by thebandit27

No worries; Bill (fine soul and exemplary Bills' fan that he is) knows I'm just having some fun with him anyway.

I think NE's secondary will be quite formidable. Their corner group of Butler/Gilmore/Rowe is probably as good a top-3 as any outside of Denver, and the safety group of McCourty/Chung/Harmon is solid too.

Re-signing Hightower and bringing in David Harris to pair with my draft crush Elandon Roberts was really smart too.

The pass rush is really going to depend upon the development of Trey Flowers IMO. He looked very good as the 2016 progressed, but who knows how his development arc will go this season? Kony Ealy has been brutally inconsistent throughout his career, and I wouldn't want to depend upon him. Losing rookie Derek Rivers--a guy I really liked coming out of Youngstown State--could be a big blow.

I guess I expect NE's defense to be business-as-usual. They'll allow some yards and scores, but in the end they'll make stops when they have to and be opportunistic with the turnovers...and that'll probably be good enough.

Yeah, I agree on the secondary, but am not as sold on the front 7 outside of Hightower. I'm not sure David Harris is David Harris anymore

So when Bills players lay an egg during preseason games, "it's only preseason," but when former Bills have a rough preseason outing, they suck?

Taylor, Ducasse, Ragland have been taking heat from this board for their preseason play.

Yes.

Sour grapes.... until the actual season starts and we blow do some(not all) admit they were wrong.

This is coming from you? You are one of the biggest sour grapes on this board.

What makes Bill B such a great coach is not only exploiting his assets but also managing his weaknesses. Because of the cap few teams can be considered complete teams. So he will mix and match and compensate for what his units don't do well. He's the best coach in the modern game.

Yeah, I agree on the secondary, but am not as sold on the front 7 outside of Hightower. I'm not sure David Harris is David Harris anymore

I think Harris is there purely to mentor Roberts, who I think is poised to become a star (yes, I'm not backing off of my pre-draft hype on this kid).

What makes Bill B such a great coach is not only exploiting his assets but also managing his weaknesses. Because of the cap few teams can be considered complete teams. So he will mix and match and compensate for what his units don't do well. He's the best coach in the modern game.

He truly coaches the 11 he's got on the field. He doesn't ask any one player to do anything they can't do; simply puts them on the field and says "do what you do well".

No surprise to me that teams would target Butler in coverage over Gilmore.

Not really pointing at Darby, but we gave up 98 Big Plays last year (>10 yard run, > 25 yard pass), which was 2nd most in the NFL.

Let's hope this D scheme drops that # by 30 or more.

My God that is pathetic considering the talent we had..., Twiddlee and Twiddlee dum Ryan

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

I have a negative view of the franchise based on their performance and moves.

When a good player is traded or leaves a lot of people tend to dwell on any negative possible from that player.

Two completely different situations.

No it's not two different situations. A sour grape is a sour grape and you're the King of it. Now you're criticizing others for being you.

Preseason, man....

Darby will be fine.

I'm not sure if he will be to be honest. There was an ex-NFL football player talking about Darby and said something like "if you can't find the ball in the air as a corner, you won't be a starter for very long"....

That's what his scouting report said his problem was, it was really evident last year.....

Great coverage all night really. But he got Mossed on a deep pass. Kinda looked like he might've mistimed his jump, but the replay showed he was only about an inch away from getting a hand on it. And yeah, a PI call.

---------

This^ His coverage was good, basically in the receivers pocket but couldn't time the jump and got beat on the high point. Reminded me of Leodis.