The Panthers and the Bills

WIDE LEFT

When analyzing how professionals in any business operate, it helps to look at their past experiences, specifically the scenarios/situations where they have had success in the past. Consider Beane & McDermott. Their most successful year by far was the year the Panthers went to the Super Bowl. That particular team had a QB known more for his running than his passing, had a very strong running game, had a mediocre receiving corps ( they lost star WR Kelvin Benjamin to injury in preseason); and they had a defense designed & coached by McDermott. Sounds a lot like the current Bills.

But the real lesson they learned from that very successful season is that you do NOT need a stud, #1 receiver to be successful. Having that great receiver is a luxury, not a necessity. Look at the very best receivers in the NFL over the last decade. The number of Super Bowl wins those great receivers have is close to zero. This explains a lot about the Watkins trade, especially knowing he would demand huge dollars next year. The choice to devote your cap dollars to other areas of the team (D & O lines) is a wise one.

And to those who would dismiss this years team's chances, or call this a tank year, go ahead and review the success of that Panthers team.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cam Newton was NFL MVP that year. Do you think Tyrod is a MVP candidate? I don't even know if he is the best QB on the team at this point. It's a brand new offense and a brand new defense. If you think we are a Super Bowl team like the Panthers were then you are in for a surprise. Our offense has looked horrendous thus far. If they didn't change the offense on us we might have had a shot at the playoffs but as it is now we are starting from scratch on both sides of the ball. It's going to be a long year

Cam Newton was NFL MVP that year. Do you think Tyrod is a MVP candidate? I don't even know if he is the best QB on the team at this point. It's a brand new offense and a brand new defense. If you think we are a Super Bowl team like the Panthers were then you are in for a surprise. Our offense has looked horrendous thus far. If they didn't change the offense on us we might have had a shot at the playoffs but as it is now we are starting from scratch on both sides of the ball. It's going to be a long year

Nobody is suggesting that the Bills are Super Bowl contenders. Two meaningless preseason games tells us nothing about this offense. But you make my point - Cam Newton was NFL MVP that year throwing to a mediocre set of receivers. No one believes Taylor will be an MVP candidate, but it is true that he is a far more accurate thrower of the ball than Newton. His performance last year was far superior to Newton's 2016 season

what evidence do you have to suggest otherwise? don't tell me you're referring to NP, a rookie that's only played a couple of pre-season games...

When analyzing how professionals in any business operate, it helps to look at their past experiences, specifically the scenarios/situations where they have had success in the past. Consider Beane & McDermott. Their most successful year by far was the year the Panthers went to the Super Bowl. That particular team had a QB known more for his running than his passing, had a very strong running game, had a mediocre receiving corps ( they lost star WR Kelvin Benjamin to injury in preseason); and they had a defense designed & coached by McDermott. Sounds a lot like the current Bills.

But the real lesson they learned from that very successful season is that you do NOT need a stud, #1 receiver to be successful. Having that great receiver is a luxury, not a necessity. Look at the very best receivers in the NFL over the last decade. The number of Super Bowl wins those great receivers have is close to zero. This explains a lot about the Watkins trade, especially knowing he would demand huge dollars next year. The choice to devote your cap dollars to other areas of the team (D & O lines) is a wise one.

And to those who would dismiss this years team's chances, or call this a tank year, go ahead and review the success of that Panthers team.

Pretty valid points... HYPE!!!

Exactly why trading Sammy was a good idea. To borrow an overused analogy - "Why have a Ferrari in the garage if your driver is blind and can't see over the steering wheel?" Not saying Sammy was a Ferrari, but you get the point.

Biggest issue to me has been the penalties. That was the 1st thing I was hoping to see a change with on this team. However, there has been no evidence to the contrary that we have gotten a handle on that yet. It has been the same issue year after year with different coaching staffs.

Our offense has looked terrible! But they haven't used any plays they will use in the reg season! They look terrible! Ok Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks terrible in practice too. i guess they are just practicing plays they won't use. hopefully they start running the real plays soon

Cam Newton had what will probably be his "Career best" year in 2015. He had it in an offense specifically designed around him.

A top tier QB raised the level of all around him. Cam did that year in spades!!! He put that team on his back.

The 2015 Panther's D repeatedly gave away large leads to make the games appear closer than they were. To some degree it was a matter of coaching but they weren't as good as some think.

Finally, Newton is a winner. He has "it".

Just about nothing I wrote is attributable to this current Bill's QB or team.

TT has 1!? Comeback to his credit as a starter after having been in the league for 6 years.

The 2015 Panthers was 99% the defense kicking the snot out of the opposing teams for the first half and the offense scoring enough later in the game to secure it

Their defense scored a ton early in the games

I like where you are going here but to be fair Newton was not Newton that season. Any QB that plays that well can lead a team deep into the playoffs.

He went for 3837 yards, 35 td 10 int passing with a 99.4 rating

rushing he added another 636 yards and 10 td's. That's 45 Td's from your QB.

Newton did anything but lead that team.

Nobody is suggesting that the Bills are Super Bowl contenders. Two meaningless preseason games tells us nothing about this offense. But you make my point - Cam Newton was NFL MVP that year throwing to a mediocre set of receivers. No one believes Taylor will be an MVP candidate, but it is true that he is a far more accurate thrower of the ball than Newton. His performance last year was far superior to Newton's 2016 season

No, its not true,

Newton > Taylor. and to suggest otherwise is asinine.

The 2015 Panthers was 99% the defense kicking the snot out of the opposing teams for the first half and the offense scoring enough later in the game to secure it

The Panthers led at the half in 12 games, were tied in 2 and trailed in 2.

The D was NOT the story of that season.

So Cam being named 2015 ALL PRO QB for the league had nothing to do with the season he had? Their offense was ranked 11th in the league for yards per game, and 1st in points per game. Newton was responsible for 45 touchdowns that season.

Their defense that you say scored a ton in early games scored 4 td's in the entire season. I'm not sure that's a ton in early games.

The Panthers led at the half in 12 games, were tied in 2 and trailed in 2.

The D was NOT the story of that season.

Exactly!!!

So Cam being named 2015 ALL PRO QB for the league had nothing to do with the season he had? Their offense was ranked 11th in the league for yards per game, and 1st in points per game. Newton was responsible for 45 touchdowns that season.

Their defense that you say scored a ton in early games scored 4 td's in the entire season. I'm not sure that's a ton in early games.

Exactly!!!

stats don't reflect how that team played in 2015. Cams chuck it up offense was very good and he's a very good QB. But the defense shut teams down, created turnovers and scored points by getting field position for the offense.

The team will be a shell of itself, Newton will never win a ring, keuchly and Davis are the best duo in the league, Bradberry, Worley and the other kid are future elite corners in that system, the OL was strong that year but a shell of itself now and they need a running game that isn't Newton.

I end up watching 99% of their games

stats don't reflect how that team played in 2015. Cams chuck it up offense was very good and he's a very good QB. But the defense shut teams down, created turnovers and scored points by getting field position for the offense.

The team will be a shell of itself, Newton will never win a ring, keuchly and Davis are the best duo in the league, Bradberry, Worley and the other kid are future elite corners in that system, the OL was strong that year but a shell of itself now and they need a running game that isn't Newton.

I end up watching 99% of their games

So a First ranked Offense lead by an MVP QB was eclipsed by a 6 th ranked Defense that played with the lead almost every week?

I watched the games too because it quickly became apparent Rex was a farce.