Asian Carp: Carpageddon

Little info about the fish they caught below lock this past June. Test results in from SIU.

MichiganLite, the sky is falling:

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/08/18/asian-carp-found-near-lake-michigan-got-past-barriers

More informed article, so you can critically think better:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-asian-carp-near-lake-michigan-20170818-story.html

My take? Facts?

1. Same guy who snagged fish in 2010, caught this one in 2017.

2. It only spent a few weeks to months in the water where it was caught.

3. That water is 30+ miles above electric barrier.

4. Was it "planted" knowingly or unwittingly?

5. It is hard to plant an 8 pound fish unwittingly.

6. Fish was caught in a marina that houses, docks pleasure craft, fishing vessels, sportsman that have access by water and trailer all over the MidWest and world.

7. It swam 30+ miles in a few weeks to find said location, this specific location.

8. The area it was found in was killed off, all fish rotenoned for miles in 2011.

Discuss. Did it swim through 3 barriers that at 8 pounds would have been very hard to get through... In a few weeks?

Should we close the lock which the Great State of INDIANA says brings in 1.6 billion dollars a year to it's economy?

Was it a plant for more boondoggle funding seeing Trump was going to cut funding?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why not... It is your 100s of MILLIONS in tax dollars.

What is your take? It is probably the same as mine.

Apathy? Why my young friend?

Is it because it is bi-partisan by region???

Maybe it's because you're a !@#$ing moron and your posts are board pollution?

No, you're probably right...

Maybe it's because you're a !@#$ing moron and your posts are board pollution?

No, you're probably right...

Right? That this issue is actually a bi-partisan issue and is uninteresting because it can't divide along partisan lines?

I can accept the personal issues with me. Yet, try not to discount them. I have a lot of inside info.

Sorry... Things don't fit your preconceived ideas and narrative.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Why don't we catch all those carp and ship them to Mexico so they can have fiestas across the country featuring fish tacos and other delicious fish dishes. Maybe they'll stay on their side of the border if we treat them nicely. :unsure:

I'd suspect some jack ass caught and planted it. Lone wolf or something.

Or every 7 years they find one and funding continues. Job security.

Up to 2009, eDNA research was being funded by the State of Michigan. Michigan's funding ran out right after they found eDNA in the Federal Waterway in 2009. The Fed bought into the tech. Dropping big bucks. David Lodge was with Notre Dame and developed the technology... He must have made some $$$ for Notre Dame, he is now in greener pastures @ Cornell: Francis J. DiSalvo Directorship of the David R. Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future.

Can we build the wall out of carp?

Not out of the realm of possibility.

The did it with the lake sturgeon in the 1800s and early 1900s.

"These fish were once killed as a nuisance bycatch because they damaged fishing gear. When their meat and eggs became prized, commercial fishermen targeted them. Between 1879 and 1900, the Great Lakes commercial sturgeon fishery brought in an average of 4 million lb (1800 metric tons) per year. Such unsustainable catch rates were coupled with environmental challenges such as pollution and the construction of dams and other flood control measures."

The stacked them like cordwood:

"It was even stacked like cordwood and used to fuel steamboats. Once its value was realized, "They were taken by every available means from spearing and jigging to set lines of baited or unbaited hooks laid on the bottom to trap nets, pound nets and gillnets."[11] Over 5 million lb were taken from Lake Erie in a single year. The fishery collapsed, largely by 1900. They have never recovered. Like most sturgeons, the lake sturgeon is rare now and is protected in many areas."

http://lakeeriewinds.blogspot.com/2011/09/lake-sturgeon-sad-tale-of-endangered.html?m=1

"...An indigenous species, the Lake Sturgeon is an evolutionarily ancient bottom feeder that dates back to the last ice age. They flourished for centuries in Lake Erie's shallow, warm waters. The largest of Great Lakes fish, these magnificent fish can reach eight feet in length, attain weights exceeding 300 pounds, and live to be 100 years of age. The largest recorded Great Lakes sturgeon was 310 pounds and almost 8 feet long, caught in Batchawana Bay in Lake Superior in 1922.

Despite the presence of an exceedingly profitable Great Lakes commercial fishing industry during the 19th century, prior to the 1860s fishermen considered sturgeon a nuisance fish, becoming entangled in nets and ripping them to pieces. Even worse, they were like vacuum cleaners, sucking up the eggs of the "valuable species" -- like whitefish -- by the gallon. In the words of one Lake Erie fisherman, quoted in 1894, "A sturgeon is like a hog in a hen roost. They go around and suck up all the spawn there is....

They were dealt with accordingly: wounded and thrown back to scare other sturgeon away from fishing grounds; killed and stacked on shore like cordwood; fed to pigs; used as fertilizer; or simply left to rot. Fishermen rationalized this waste as a way to make good money and ensure the longevity of commercial species..."

ab3035df56028e30ed7057c9cf3aae47.jpg

And... So we have gov't and things like the DNR to protect us from "ourselves." Pay some money, get your fishing license and don't forget to buy your salmon stamp!

if they live long like that I'm guessing they don't breed too quickly? That's what happened to the beaver which was hunted to near extinction. They just don't reproduce like rabbits. Never knew that about the sturgeon in the lakes

Beaver extinct? LoL... Just above the lock... We had to take a bunch of trees down a few weeks ago. A beaver was getting into a few big trees and the trees were ready to fall on our overhead electrical service coming into the lock site.

About 10 years ago... We had to have a few hunted and trapped out. Damn furbearers, I never knew, they can be taken out of season when they are causing a nuisance. So a trapper came in and poor little fellas were gone... Until this year again...

And no all you pervs, not the kind of beaver that comes through on the pleasure boats. We like that kind! ;-)