Successful NFL Coaches Within Their First 3 Years

ROONDOGG55

Here is a short list that I came up with of successful-great coaches within their first three years of being an NFL coach. Most were not successful their first year, and only two have won a Super Bowl in their rookie year as coach. There are plenty more to add to the list, but these are a few that came to mind while thinking about this topic.

From the coaches that did not do well in their first three season, I saw a few that have gone to several later on in their careers. Only one did not win a championship, but set the record for most consecutive Super Bowl runs (Sad Face).

Feel free to add some more coaches to the list, but the moral of this is that we cannot judge a coach on his first season. We need to give this guy some time to build, and hopefully succeed later on down the road. We all saw how he overcame adversity when he was fired by Andy Reid several years ago. his dude can adapt and overcome which is one thing in common with most of these guys on this list. Can't wait to watch this guy grow and groom this team for the next three seasons and beyond.

GO BILLS!

EDIT: Do Not Try To Copy And Paste An Excel Document Here!

Coach Year 1 Year 2 Year 3

Andy Reid 5-11 11-5 11-5

Bill Belichick 6-10 7-9 7-9

Bill Cowher 11-5 9-7 12-4

Bill Parcells 3-12 9-7 10-6

Bill Walsh 2-14 6-10 13-3

Chuck Noll 1-13 5-9 6-8

Don McCafferty 11-2-1 10-4 1-4

Don Shula 8-6 12-2 10-3-1

George Seiferti 14-2 14-2 10-6

Jimmy Johnson 1-15 7-9 11-5

Joe Gibbs 8-8 8-1 14-2

John Fox 7-9 11-5 7-9

John Madden 12-1-1 8-4-2 8-4-2

Jon Gruden 8-8 8-8 12-4

Marv Levy 4-12 7-9 8-8

Marvin Lewis 8-8 8-8 11-5

Mike Holmgren 9-7 9-7 9-7

Mike McCarthy 8-8 13-3 6-10

Mike Shanahan 7-9 1-3 8-8

Mike Tomlin 10-6 12-4 9-7

Pete Carrol 6-10 10-6 9-7

Sean Payton 10-6 7-9 8-8

Tom Coughlin 4-12 9-7 11-5

Tom Landry 0-11-1 4-9 5-8

Tony Dungy 6-10 10-6 8-8

Vince Lombardi 7-5 8-4 11-3

Edited by ROONDOGG55

Here is a short list that I came up with of successful-great coaches within their first three years of being an NFL coach. Most were not successful their first year, and only two have won a Super Bowl in their rookie year as coach. There are plenty more to add to the list, but these are a few that came to mind while thinking about this topic.

From the coaches that did not do well in their first three season, I saw a few that have gone to several later on in their careers. Only one did not win a championship, but set the record for most consecutive Super Bowl runs (Sad Face).

Feel free to add some more coaches to the list, but the moral of this is that we cannot judge a coach on his first season. We need to give this guy some time to build, and hopefully succeed later on down the road. We all saw how he overcame adversity when he was fired by Andy Reid several years ago. his dude can adapt and overcome which is one thing in common with most of these guys on this list. Can't wait to watch this guy grow and groom this team for the next three seasons and beyond.

GO BILLS!

Coach Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 Andy Reid 5-11 11-5 11-5 Bill Belichick 6-10 7-9 7-9 Bill Cowher 11-5 9-7 12-4 Bill Parcells 3-12 9-7 10-6 Bill Walsh 2-14 6-10 13-3 Chuck Noll 1-13 5-9 6-8 Don McCafferty 11-2-1 10-4 1-4 Don Shula 8-6 12-2 10-3-1 George Seiferti 14-2 14-2 10-6 Jimmy Johnson 1-15 7-9 11-5 Joe Gibbs 8-8 8-1 14-2 John Fox 7-9 11-5 7-9 John Madden 12-1-1 8-4-2 8-4-2 Jon Gruden 8-8 8-8 12-4 Marv Levy 4-12 7-9 8-8 Marvin Lewis 8-8 8-8 11-5 Mike Holmgren 9-7 9-7 9-7 Mike McCarthy 8-8 13-3 6-10 Mike Shanahan 7-9 1-3 8-8 Mike Tomlin 10-6 12-4 9-7 Pete Carrol 6-10 10-6 9-7 Sean Payton 10-6 7-9 8-8 Tom Coughlin 4-12 9-7 11-5 Tom Landry 0-11-1 4-9 5-8 Tony Dungy 6-10 10-6 8-8 Vince Lombardi 7-5 8-4 11-3

He is going to be judged his first season regardless of whether or not anybody thinks it is fair. There are many more things to judge coaches on besides win/loss records.

Here are some things that could add up to get him fired within two seasons:

1) Losing every game

2) Having a ridiculously high number of penalties every game - like an absurd amount - like the last preseason game

3) Consistently punting from inside the other team's 40 on 4th and less than 5.

4) Making completely boneheaded decisions regularly

5) Showing a complete lack of being able to handle the job

He will be judged by how well prepared his teams are. He will be judged by the game plans that the Bills implement week to week. He will be judged on his management of the clock at the end of the half and end of the game. He will be judged on how hard his players play for him and whether they have defeatist attitudes.

He will be judged on a lot. Not just his win/loss record.

That adds some perspective.

It really does. I was shocked to see how many of these guys were awful their first season. Hopefully we don't chase this guy out of town. I'd hate to see him win somewhere else.

He is going to be judged his first season regardless of whether or not anybody thinks it is fair. There are many more things to judge coaches on besides win/loss records.

Here are some things that could add up to get him fired within two seasons:

1) Losing every game

2) Having a ridiculously high number of penalties every game - like an absurd amount - like the last preseason game

3) Consistently punting from inside the other team's 40 on 4th and less than 5.

4) Making completely boneheaded decisions regularly

5) Showing a complete lack of being able to handle the job

He will be judged by how well prepared his teams are. He will be judged by the game plans that the Bills implement week to week. He will be judged on his management of the clock at the end of the half and end of the game. He will be judged on how hard his players play for him and whether they have defeatist attitudes.

He will be judged on a lot. Not just his win/loss record.

Completely understood. There is a lot of baggage that I left out, but winning is all that matters in this league.

This is interesting I always lean on the side of optimism. I wouldn't be surprised if we did well this year as we witnessed the Dolphins get into the playoffs with Gase as a year one coach and that team wasn't much better than the Ryan Brother's side show known as the Buffalo Bills.

P.S.

You have to take Marvin Lewis off that list. Come on dude.

The only thing he has been really successful at as a head coach is keeping a job that he should have been fired from a long time ago.

Edited by PolishDave

The sad thing is, we arent even in the rebuild yet. This is the tank right before.

Worse, by the time we are ready, several of our top players will be gone, either through retirement or trade, and the young players will still need to grow. Several years before we are playoff ready.

Buckle up for several more years of mediocrity. And what if he's fired after three years? Then we start all over again. If were really dead set on ever seeing the playoffs, we can't fire him after three years. But if we don't make the playoffs, it's probably inevitable.

Rinse, repeat, and pray for a Brady retirement.

McD

Year 1 - tear down - 4-12

Year 2 - build up - 8-8

Year 3 - wild card hopeful - 10-6

Year 4 - with McD - 12-4

- Without McD - 8-8

- Add another win with Brady's retirement

It really does. I was shocked to see how many of these guys were awful their first season. Hopefully we don't chase this guy out of town. I'd hate to see him win somewhere else.

Saints started a thread pertaining to this and had point blank asked me how we should judge the Bills this upcoming year.

My answer was that I wanted this team to be moving in the right direction towards the end of the year. Meaning I'd like to see an improvement almost across the board from the beginning of the season to the end of the season. I don't believe when you have a new GM/Coach who are rebuilding towards the future that it is fair to wholly judge them by their wins and losses in their first year. Rather than Wins and Losses the better metric to judge an incoming regime is to look at the general direction the team is headed in. Cutting down in penalties, points per game scored moving higher, points given up going down etc etc.

Let's see, where's Brian Billick on that list? Took him 2 years to win a SB. 8-8, 12-4 (SB)

What about John Harbaugh's first 5 years with the Ravens? 11-5, 9-7, 12-4,12-4 (thanks for the Drop Lee Evans), 10-6 (SB)

Apparently the common thread is Ray Lewis so let's pick him up.

This is interesting I always lean on the side of optimism. I wouldn't be surprised if we did well this year as we witnessed the Dolphins get into the playoffs with Gase as a year one coach and that team wasn't much better than the Ryan Brother's side show known as the Buffalo Bills.

I thought about that as well. If a lot of the teams we play have setbacks this year it may be possible. I don't see that happening though.

P.S.

You have to take Marvin Lewis off that list. Come on dude.

The only thing he has been really successful at as a head coach is keeping a job that he should have been fired from a long time ago.

That is the only reason he made my list. Lol

The sad thing is, we arent even in the rebuild yet. This is the tank right before.

Worse, by the time we are ready, several of our top players will be gone, either through retirement or trade, and the young players will still need to grow. Several years before we are playoff ready.

Buckle up for several more years of mediocrity. And what if he's fired after three years? Then we start all over again. If were really dead set on ever seeing the playoffs, we can't fire him after three years. But if we don't make the playoffs, it's probably inevitable.

Rinse, repeat, and pray for a Brady retirement.

McD

Year 1 - tear down - 4-12

Year 2 - build up - 8-8

Year 3 - wild card hopeful - 10-6

Year 4 - with McD - 12-4

- Without McD - 8-8

- Add another win with Brady's retirement

I believe they will see success within three years, but not a Super Bowl. I like your prediction, but think we will be closer to .500 this season.